Value of: Soon to be FA, Tony Deangelo

Would you want your team to sign DeAngelo on a 1 year, league mimimum deal?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
He is a good player but not good enough to warrant overlooking his baggage he brings and the potential there is to screw up the locker room.
For me personally if a player acted like he does, he’d have to be McD good to overlook it lol.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Jets need a top 4 RHD, but no chance the team would touch him with a 10’ pole and I don’t blame them. Hard pass
Someone is going to give him a 1 yr 1 mill show me deal. By all accounts most of his teammates loved him in the room and on the ice. I’m sure there are a couple that didn’t like him as in any job. Problem with him was he went against management when he was told multiple times to stop. That was the beginning of the end for tony. The tweeting and his radio show just fanned the flames. But to say he wouldn’t improve a teams offense and PP from the blue line is a flat out lie. On talent alone he’s one of the best offensive D in the business.
He was also a plus player with the shell of Marc Staal as a partner. That’s no easy feat. In the right locker room and right environment with good leaders he for sure makes your team better. That’s the type of team that needs to take a chance on him. I think he realizes this is probably last stop before playing in Russia so I’d think he’d be on his best behavior as well. Just food for thought

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Irony about how people talk about what a trash teammate he is....multiple people in the game say he’s actually a very popular teammate, and that he’s very passionate about the game. No one has said he’s a racist. He has used homophobic slurs, which is where he got in a lot of trouble early on.

If you have a strong locker room, he could be a solid addition.
That’s because most people rush to judgement of unsubstantiated lies rather then taking the time to know the facts of what really happened. They choose to run with what some blogger with an agenda would post rather then getting to the bottom of the story

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I have no idea what he says on his podcasts. I’m assuming he is a santinist cultist, supporter in ISIS or against woman’s rights for all these people to be bashing his views. Kindve sad if people are bashing him because he’s Pro union/Pipeline and voted trump. But anyway this is a hockey site no idea what his irrelevant podcast that no one watches has anything to do with hockey or his teammates. I’d bet no one on the Rangers ever listened to one of his pod casts.

It was a sports podcast. Him and his friends talked about a bunch of different sports. Politics never or almost never came up. If it did, no more than it would in any normal discussion that’s had between friends on a daily basis.

Reactions: Unbiased Fan

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Said it before and I will say it again he will get signed because morals mean NOTHING in sports, Antonio Brown has proven that.

like it or not talent is all that matters and this guy has to much talent to not get an opportunity

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Said it before and I will say it again he will get signed because morals mean NOTHING in sports, Antonio Brown has proven that.

like it or not talent is all that matters and this guy has to much talent to not get an opportunity
The fact the the habs wanted him at the deadline already proved this. They just didn’t want him at his current salary knowing next year the can get him for a quarter of the cash they could now

Reactions: Lays

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Voted no but I think whoever he signs with could end up with an absolute win like Ribeiro after he was bought out.

Reactions: Lays

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Someone is going to give him a 1 yr 1 mill show me deal. By all accounts most of his teammates loved him in the room and on the ice. I’m sure there are a couple that didn’t like him as in any job. Problem with him was he went against management when he was told multiple times to stop. That was the beginning of the end for tony. The tweeting and his radio show just fanned the flames. But to say he wouldn’t improve a teams offense and PP from the blue line is a flat out lie. On talent alone he’s one of the best offensive D in the business.
He was also a plus player with the shell of Marc Staal as a partner. That’s no easy feat. In the right locker room and right environment with good leaders he for sure makes your team better. That’s the type of team that needs to take a chance on him. I think he realizes this is probably last stop before playing in Russia so I’d think he’d be on his best behavior as well. Just food for thought

Agreed, and the Jets seemingly have a very good locker room (though, they do tend to excise players that don’t fit).

If it’s a year/$1M gig, Jets should be all over this.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Agreed, and the Jets seemingly have a very good locker room (though, they do tend to excise players that don’t fit).

If it’s a year/$1M gig, Jets should be all over this.
Yep. It’s going to be like Shattenkirk signing for the minimum and playing well. Tony already got his 10 million. Is next contract will be 1 to 1.5 tops.. if he does well there I’m sure someone will want his talents for longer. He needs to be a pro and keep his mouth shut though. 1 more incident and he’s KHL bound

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Take out his political views for a second. He's the kind of guy that's going to shit talk teammates for making mistakes and then will fight them after games. He's the kind of guy that gets suspended for using slurs against his own teammates. He's the kind of guy who talks shit on his team using burner accounts when things aren't going his way.

His political views are irrelevant to him being a generally repulsive person overall, from everything we know about him.
This from a Pens fan who sign players like Matt Cooke and Billy Tibbetts nice.......

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Yes.
One of the best offensive dmen in the league and plays with more edge than nearly anyone else whose of similar caliber skill-wise. Doesn't take very much research to find out that the incident in junior was him cracking a joke about a fellow White teammate being a soft Euro, even though many politically motivated hacks run with the narrative that he's some racist bully. Or to find out the fact that he's still good friends with practically every POC he's ever played with and interacts with them all the time on social media (Josh Ho-Sang, Justin Bailey, Anthony Duclair, Caleb Jones, Seth Jones, etc). Or to find out he was unanimously voted the funniest guy on the team, that according to anyone in the know: all of his former teammates say they loved playing with him. He was even the guy they chose to replace Stepan as the guy on the Mic for doing their fun locker room videos.

There is a narrative pushed about him on social media by people who with one click of their profile you can very quickly determine what their motivation is. Yea there are a few stories that can make you think he's a loudmouth/dick, but this is professional sports, there are TONS of loud mouths/dicks. And there are athletes who have ton FAR more heinous things than DeAngelo who don't get 1/10th of the vitriol.

BTW if anyone still believed that stealing the puck from K'Andre Miller story: that has been verified as false by every person involved, and K'Andre Miller and DeAngelo were actually texting with each other after this all happened, still follow each other on Instagram and like each others pictures as well. DeAngelo was one of the first & only players to stand up for Miller after the Zoom incident. As soon as Miller scored his first NHL Goal, DeAngelo immediately skated to the net to grab it. It was as if he wanted to do that for him specifically to show him that reputation he had isn't true and that he's got his back. Unfortunately a nice gesture got turned into a BS narrative by a political hack by the name of Adam Herman.

Ah the old "I'm not racist I have black friends!" Hockey players have CONSISTENTLY been given the benefit of the doubt for being a shit bag I can't believe anyone would actually think 3 teams would run this guy out of their organization due to cancel culture. If he was bringing more to the ice than he detracts with his terrible personality and views (we're talking genuinely believes the election was stolen, not just somebody who leans right) then he would be playing for the New York Rangers. However, you're probably right and he gets a deal but I struggle to imagine that going well for the team who signs him

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
his ability to defend is borderline non-existent
Not even that true. He’s better or on the same level as other purely offensive players. His defensive ability was never an issue among Rangers fans until he started getting super political on Twitter which is when everyone started grasping at straws to bring him down as a player. And he’s much more physical than any other purely offensive defenseman in the league and has done very well in fights. See him one punch KO’ing Okposo or him destroying Bastian who has a couple inches on him. He’s significantly better all around than someone like Barrie, EK65, or prime Shattenkirk. I’m not saying he’s good defensively, but he’s not even as close to as bad defensively as he’s made up to be and more than makes up for it with his offense and his physicality. It’s not like his defense is bad enough to negate his overall impact

And he’s only 25, his defense has time to improve. He was only 24 in his second full season last year when he put up 15 goals and 53 points in 68 games. Those are elite numbers for a defenseman who also produced very strongly at 5v5 while being paired with Marc Staal in a DQ/Lindy Ruff system

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It would probably have to be a solid veteran team who can keep him in line without anybody punching him in the face. I don't know if that team exists.

itsPLkielbasa

Aug 30, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
It was JD and JG who came out and said he won't play for the Rangers again.

They are both gone now along with Quinn.

Maybe our new coach would take a chance on him if Drury allowed it. Why eat 5M when he can be productive for us?

I still see them buying him out but I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him a shot to clean up his attitude.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I think the Red Wings could get him to calm it down. I also don’t buy into the idea they are set at RD just because they have Hronek and Seider either though so I wouldn’t mind it. They got cap. If he acts out or doesn’t work out do the same thing the Rangers did. He does have talent

Yzerman has already traded him away once. I don't think he wants him anywhere near the Redwings. Just call it a hunch.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Unfortunately for him it doesn’t matter anymore how he acts it’s all about how he is perceived and received by whatever team that signs him fanbase.
If the Rangers are willing to throw away millions and lose a very productive player I am sure it was for good reasons. As much as my Devils could use him I don’t think it worth the possible pushback from fans plus having a team full of kids that don’t need that type of possible distraction or friction in the dressing room .

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
That’s because most people rush to judgement of unsubstantiated lies rather then taking the time to know the facts of what really happened. They choose to run with what some blogger with an agenda would post rather then getting to the bottom of the story

Factually he's been penalized for abusing teammates and officials everywhere he has went. If that's the guy you want to sign then by all means.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad