Value of: Soon to be FA, Tony Deangelo

Would you want your team to sign DeAngelo on a 1 year, league mimimum deal?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
That’s actually not remotely true, but I’m not debating you because what you’re saying is absurd. I’m not going to research and pull quotes for this because this isn’t worth that kind of time.

I just happen to have that picture handy. It’s as much proof as the “funniest teammate” in the Rangers PR video. But you go ahead and think you know DeAngelo on a personal level.

I know his work record and that’s what’s being discussed when someone asks if you would hypothetically want him on your team next.

He himself admitted being “uncoachable” in Tampa. Arizona dumped at the 2017 NHL draft after getting suckered into trading for him at 2016 NHL draft for a 2nd (#37, ironically Libor Hájek). That was after being the 14OA in 2014.

For a guy that scores a lot points (and apparently cut up in the locker room), the Rangers have been pretty unenthusiastic about him. They gave him a one year contract in 2019. And it was reported that they tried move him before giving him his current two year deal. And it was also reported that he was on his best behavior... until signed that two year deal. He probably assumed that the Rangers were stuck with him at that point and he was wrong.

Maybe a team will pick ADA off the dumpster and you can paint that as a redemption arc.

But randomly picking Subban and saying he’s a worse person because because of the vibes you pick off or whatever is at best... weird? Subban got shipped out the hothouse drama of Montreal. He got traded from Nashville because injuries/decline and a massive contract have rendered him overpaid, and they have a lot of affordable elite defense and needed the cap space to add Duchene to their growing collection of overpriced, underachieving centers. Subban was never publicly called out by employers for being an asshole however, which is something that happens to ADA. We leads me to believe he’s an asshole.

LOL yeah. THATS why he got traded.

sunsetsuperhuman

Mar 9, 2018
I don't mind a player who happens to have political views wildly different from mine. To each their own and so forth.

What D'Angelo did was push his political (or societal) views. That's why they are in the discussion.

Much better if hockey players just stick to hockey. That's what they know well.

Otherwise he seems to be a pluperfect asshole so I don't think he has been wronged that much, but (I agree) his views and convictions shouldn't count. But he did that to himself.

K.

Now say it for Matt Dumba.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The only Playoff games that DeAngelo ever played he was absolutely humiliated defensively. Maybe some bottom-barrel team will take a chance on him, but no Playoff team will want anything to do with him. He is ECHL-level defensively once the pressure gets ratcheted up. And given his propensity as a hothead getting embarrassed repeatedly inevitably leads to penalties.

You do realize he was playing those games injured? But I guess talking a lot about those games makes Canes fans feel self important.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Definitely a player with skill who's a waste of time. I don't care about his politics with athletes. But, if he's truly a nightmare like he seems to be, let him rot away in the lower leagues in Europe/Russia. This kid clearly has the talent, but has his head so far up his ass that he's going to waste what was a promising future. He seems like he's more trouble than he's worth.

Unknownbutfamous1

Oct 1, 2017
Take out his political views for a second. He's the kind of guy that's going to shit talk teammates for making mistakes and then will fight them after games. He's the kind of guy that gets suspended for using slurs against his own teammates. He's the kind of guy who talks shit on his team using burner accounts when things aren't going his way.

His political views are irrelevant to him being a generally repulsive person overall, from everything we know about him.

"He's the kind of guy that's going to shit talk teammates for making mistakes and then will fight them after games." Sounds like Michael Jordan from the Bulls documentary. You know .... the GOAT? Its amazing how everyone bows down to MJ yet criticizes everyone who copies his tactics.

"He's the kind of guy that gets suspended for using slurs against his own teammates." I looked up every ones of his teammates face from 2013-2014 and there was no dark skinned person that I could see. He either was repeating a lyric from a song or calling a teammate a soft euro. Here is Kobe calling Dwight a racial slur. . Was Kobe a bad teammate and a horrible person?

"He's the kind of guy who talks shit on his team using burner accounts when things aren't going his way." Is this proven? Even if it is we all talk shit about our co-workers. Lets not kid ourselves. Kevin Durant had burner accounts to rip his teammates. No one ever called him a bad person.

Reactions: Unbiased Fan

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
"Kevin Durant had burner accounts to rip his teammates. No one ever called him a bad person.

KD has had/still has several burner accounts and he gets ripped for it all the time. It's hilarious. However, while KD isn't the best locker room guy, what he didn't do is get punched in the face by one of his teammates (I guess he came close on Warriors tho with Draymond Green! :laugh:) and have a history of past suspensions Abuse/Diversity policies across multiple organizations.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
KD has had/still has several burner accounts and he gets ripped for it all the time. It's hilarious. However, while KD isn't the best locker room guy, what he didn't do is get punched in the face by one of his teammates (I guess he came close on Warriors tho with Draymond Green! :laugh:) and have a history of past suspensions Abuse/Diversity policies across multiple organizations.

There’s also no credible claim that DeAngelo uses a burner account.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I'd give him a shot for sure. He is a douche and an asshole, but many athletes are in their own right. If he can mature and get some solid guidance, he could still be a hell of a contributor. Some kids mature later, some don't. With his skillset, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
"He's the kind of guy that's going to shit talk teammates for making mistakes and then will fight them after games." Sounds like Michael Jordan from the Bulls documentary. You know .... the GOAT? Its amazing how everyone bows down to MJ yet criticizes everyone who copies his tactics.

"He's the kind of guy that gets suspended for using slurs against his own teammates." I looked up every ones of his teammates face from 2013-2014 and there was no dark skinned person that I could see. He either was repeating a lyric from a song or calling a teammate a soft euro. Here is Kobe calling Dwight a racial slur. . Was Kobe a bad teammate and a horrible person?

"He's the kind of guy who talks shit on his team using burner accounts when things aren't going his way." Is this proven? Even if it is we all talk shit about our co-workers. Lets not kid ourselves. Kevin Durant had burner accounts to rip his teammates. No one ever called him a bad person.

I'm not sure what your point is, we're talking about DeAngelo here, not McDavid or Crosby. The better you are, the bigger of a dick you can be and DeAngelo is simply not good enough to be a first class dick.

Unknownbutfamous1

Oct 1, 2017
I'm not sure what your point is, we're talking about DeAngelo here, not McDavid or Crosby. The better you are, the bigger of a dick you can be and DeAngelo is simply not good enough to be a first class dick.

What kind of 1st class dick gets voted funniest teammate?

If he is truly a dick, he wouldn't be voted funniest teammate even if he was the funniest.

Unknownbutfamous1

Oct 1, 2017

Jordan got punched in the face by one of his teammates. Who cares? Teammates fight. Its part of sports.

I looked at all his teammates faces. None of them were dark skinned. He probably said that someone was a soft euro. Coaches have told me similiar things while on the bench. Its sports.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Quinn is gone.

Why not just keep him under a new coach?

League min.

Otherwise, Calgary makes sense.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Quinn is gone.

Why not just keep him under a new coach?

League min.

Otherwise, Calgary makes sense.

Quinn being gone doesn't change who Tony is or what he has done/said. It doesn't change the relationships he has with other players on the team. I'm sure at least some of them would prefer he doesn't come back.

From a pure hockey point of view, we have no need for him. Trouba doesn't have the same offensive gifts, but he is better defensively and tougher to play against, things we need more of. Fox is better than Tony in every aspect of the game. Paying 4.8 mil for a 3rd pair dman who plays on the 2nd PP and doesn't kill penalties is a waste of cap space, especially when we have very promising prospects like Lundkvist and Schneider, at least one of whom should make the team next year.

Even if none of this stuff had happened with him, it was still unlikely that he would have finished this contract with the Rangers. The hope was that we could trade him and get back a player of need, but that ship has sailed. At this point, the best course of action is just to cut our losses and move on.

Last edited:

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Jordan got punched in the face by one of his teammates. Who cares? Teammates fight. Its part of sports.

I looked at all his teammates faces. None of them were dark skinned. He probably said that someone was a soft euro. Coaches have told me similar things while on the bench. Its sports.

Thats like comparing Gretzky and DeAngelo. People are far more forgiving when you're arguably the greatest of all time. Furthermore, as good as Jordan was, he's still incredibly arrogant and attitude never would have flown in NHL locker room. The stuff he says now comparing himself to Lebron and what not... can you imagine if Gretz was out there doing that with McDavid and Crosby? :laugh:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

I looked at all his teammates faces. None of them were dark skinned. He probably said that someone was a soft euro. Coaches have told me similiar things while on the bench. Its sports.

If the fight were the only incident on his resume, you'd have a point, but it wasn't. Before the fight occurred, he was told by management, no more incidents or he'll be waived. He started a fight and was subsequently waived. There's no great mystery here. DeAngelo is in no way a victim.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I think if the Rangers thought he could control his actions/emotions that he'd be with them now. He'd been with the organization 3 years. They're not going to throw away a very talented hockey player just to suit a few people who object to him.

I suspect that he's going to end up spending some time in Europe keeping his head down, and being under control. If he's able to do that, he'll get a deal somewhere.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Quinn getting canned was as predictable as the sun rising in the morning. He handled this whole situation poorly. Despite all the rhetoric spewed in these threads, Deangelo's biggest problem is his big mouth that rubs certain people the wrong way.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
If the leafs could move Rielly for a player like Brodin I’d take him on the leafs on bottom pair with Sandin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad