Value of: Soon to be FA, Tony Deangelo

Would you want your team to sign DeAngelo on a 1 year, league mimimum deal?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yes.
One of the best offensive dmen in the league and plays with more edge than nearly anyone else whose of similar caliber skill-wise. Doesn't take very much research to find out that the incident in junior was him cracking a joke about a fellow White teammate being a soft Euro, even though many politically motivated hacks run with the narrative that he's some racist bully. Or to find out the fact that he's still good friends with practically every POC he's ever played with and interacts with them all the time on social media (Josh Ho-Sang, Justin Bailey, Anthony Duclair, Caleb Jones, Seth Jones, etc). Or to find out he was unanimously voted the funniest guy on the team, that according to anyone in the know: all of his former teammates say they loved playing with him. He was even the guy they chose to replace Stepan as the guy on the Mic for doing their fun locker room videos.

There is a narrative pushed about him on social media by people who with one click of their profile you can very quickly determine what their motivation is. Yea there are a few stories that can make you think he's a loudmouth/dick, but this is professional sports, there are TONS of loud mouths/dicks. And there are athletes who have ton FAR more heinous things than DeAngelo who don't get 1/10th of the vitriol.

BTW if anyone still believed that stealing the puck from K'Andre Miller story: that has been verified as false by every person involved, and K'Andre Miller and DeAngelo were actually texting with each other after this all happened, still follow each other on Instagram and like each others pictures as well. DeAngelo was one of the first & only players to stand up for Miller after the Zoom incident. As soon as Miller scored his first NHL Goal, DeAngelo immediately skated to the net to grab it. It was as if he wanted to do that for him specifically to show him that reputation he had isn't true and that he's got his back. Unfortunately a nice gesture got turned into a BS narrative by a political hack by the name of Adam Herman.

He got ejected from the team despite "funny guy" for getting into a fight with the backup goalie as a top4D. If it was anything but something major, Georgiev would be the one shown the door every time.

Being the funniest guy in the room for PR videos and being a good teammate are two different things.

That someone of his skill got traded for no hockey reason 2 times soon to be 3 (if you count the incoming buyout) should tell you enough how "good" he is of a teammate. He can still be an horrible teammate even if some POC like him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He got ejected from the team despite "funny guy" for getting into a fight with the backup goalie as a top4D. If it was anything but something major, Georgiev would be the one shown the door every time.

Being the funniest guy in the room for PR videos and being a good teammate are two different things.

That someone of his skill got traded for no hockey reason 2 times soon to be 3 (if you count the incoming buyout) should tell you enough how "good" he is of a teammate. He can still be an horrible teammate even if some POC like him.

Yeah, that's the funny thing to me when people whine about "cancel culture" when it comes to DeAngelo. Dude has already been run out of 3 organizations at this point. At what point do we put the onus on him for being a piece of shit instead of blaming everyone else except for him?

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Jets need a top 4 RHD, but no chance the team would touch him with a 10’ pole and I don’t blame them. Hard pass

That’s the thing. Nobody was touching him at 4.85m.

That’s going to change when the Rangers eventually buy him out and he’s taking deals for 1m or less.

Hockey is a business.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
That’s the thing. Nobody was touching him at 4.85m.

That’s going to change when the Rangers eventually buy him out and he’s taking deals for 1m or less.

Hockey is a business.

I don't disagree with your post, but it doesn't change my post either.......Jets wouldn't take him at any cost IMO. He likely is a better fit in some smaller hockey market in the USA where hockey isn't front page news on a daily basis then in any fishbowl Canadian market.

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
Should go to Buffalo along with John Tortorella. Eichel and the rest stays. Torts should build a team that everyone quit on. Renegades that if don't play together or for each other will place their careers in the bins of history. I'll watch a team like that.

Rangers will take Galant who actually is a bad and overrated coach, Buffalo would naturally end up with Torts who likes a challenge. No rebuilds, no retool (this was tried for 10 years). Final shot at a dirty dozen team together. It can only go up from here. On paper those are super talented players, they just need someone to make them forget the losing culture.

Last edited:

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I don't disagree with your post, but it doesn't change my post either.......Jets wouldn't take him at any cost IMO. He likely is a better fit in some smaller hockey market in the USA where hockey isn't front page news on a daily basis then in any fishbowl Canadian market.

You can say that all you’d like. The fact of the matter is we don’t know what front offices would or wouldn’t take him, aside from Arizona and TBL, because he’d be a re-tread in those two locations.

We think we know, but we don’t.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
You can say that all you’d like. The fact of the matter is we don’t know what front offices would or wouldn’t take him, aside from Arizona and TBL, because he’d be a re-tread in those two locations.

We think we know, but we don’t.

Well of course.......that's why I said IMO and how this is a fan forum. OP asked for opinions, that's what I gave based on knowing the franchise, knowing the owner views, the carefully constructed teams image around human rights, its actions in the past, actions it still takes around human rights and the politics of the team's core........Ill say again IMO based on those factors Jets wouldn't touch him with a 10' pole if he was free. He would be a PR nightmare and an issue in the locker room.......IMO based on all my points above, following the Jets 1.0 & 2.0 since both were born and living in the city/province for 50+ years & knowing its political views & consertive nature. But by all means, you believe whatever you like.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
If I'm a GM I want to ice the best team possible. If I believe he won't disrupt team chemistry I go for it 100%. If I think he's not a fit then I won't sign him. That all depends on the team and his attitude.

The thing I'm not going to take in to consideration is the loud complaining from certain groups of people about his views on life.
This is the correct take.
The question is whether or not there is currently a team out there that
a) needs a cheap, offensive RHD really bad
b) has the leadership to wrangle somebody as volatile and unpredictable (both on and off the ice) as Tony

Right now, nobody is jumping out at me. Boston? Tampa? But the Bolts already gave up on him once.

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
New contract for one year. My answer is no. :(
New contract for three years - for about $ 6,000,000 ($ 2,000,000 - AAV)
Lack of NMC. My answer is yes. :)

AyyLmao

May 12, 2021
Edmonton
Because Oiler fans are much more progressive? I know just as many racist conservative Oiler fans as Flames fans
What does that have to do with anything, I would never make any projections like that. Flames need an RD with Giordano aging so the management might as well get him if he is available. The flames leadership group can sort it out.

Reactions: VijayPatel11

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
No for Edmonton. Our core is young and we have Bouchard coming so we aren’t in dire need of an offensive RD.

The only possible fit for DeAngelo is a strong core veteran lead team that will keep him in line and he won’t be able to influence the young guys and that club would need to have a huge need for an offensive D.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Should go to Buffalo along with John Tortorella. Eichel and the rest stays. Torts should build a team that everyone quit on. Renegades that if don't play together or for each other will place their careers in the bins of history. I'll watch a team like that.

Rangers will take Galant who actually is a bad and overrated coach, Buffalo would naturally end up with Torts who likes a challenge. No rebuilds, no retool (this was tried for 10 years). Final shot at a dirty dozen team together. It can only go up from here. On paper those are super talented players, they just need someone to make them forget the losing culture.
If Buffalel holds Eichel, Reinhart, and Risto hostage while bringing in even one of Tortorella or ADA (let alone both), then the player's union should file some type of grievance against that franchise.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Tony not so much the Angel, is not worth the roster spot, yes he can play in the top 4, yes he's very skilled but he just keeps proving he's poison over and over again, and I kind of feel the same way about Eichel but for slightly different reasons, I wouldn't want either one of them anywhere near the Leafs room.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
most likely scenario is he is bought out
and is ostracized for 1 yr min by rest of the league to teach him an effin lesson

having said that,
and that aside,
on paper
Nolan Patrick 1:1 bring hometown ADA back to Philly makes sense

IF IF IF
NP medicals could be controlled, that would be different
but apparently not
so
making best of 2 diminished assets

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What does that have to do with anything, I would never make any projections like that. Flames need an RD with Giordano aging so the management might as well get him if he is available. The flames leadership group can sort it out.
Why else would an Oiler fan suggest the Flames sign a racist piece of shit they don't need?

Giordano is a LHD, We have Tanev and Andersson on the right side.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
No for Edmonton. Our core is young and we have Bouchard coming so we aren’t in dire need of an offensive RD.

The only possible fit for DeAngelo is a strong core veteran lead team that will keep him in line and he won’t be able to influence the young guys and that club would need to have a huge need for an offensive D.
If Barrie does walk, DeAngelo could be a shrewd add at a bargain basement price. Nurse played his final junior season with DeAngelo, so he's probably got a pretty good idea of the kind of teammate he is.

Putting Bouchard in a position to fill the role left by Barrie is how you set that prospect up for failure in a similar way that Puljujarvi was expected to pick up some of the offense left by Hall's departure. It's just a bad way of developing your prospects.

DeAngelo put up similar production as Barrie did this season playing the majority of his minutes next to Marc Staal.

Reactions: Lays and OrangePMD

AyyLmao

May 12, 2021
Edmonton
Why else would an Oiler fan suggest the Flames sign a racist piece of shit they don't need?

Giordano is a LHD, We have Tanev and Andersson on the right side.
Yes I know Gio is a LD, DeAngelo would be your best RHD, immediately slide up to the #1 spot and would be the Gio replacement especially offensively. Tanev would stay as your #3 and Andersson belongs on the bottom pairing, I’ve never been impressed with him.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Yes. Yes I would:(

I do think he’s a great person deep down. He’s done a lot of great things that nobody talks about. I would want him to get some sort of psychological help first though and be the person (and player) he was last season. If he does, whichever team gets to sign him is going to go places (maybe even win the Cup if they are a top 10 team in the league right now). But DeAngelo obviously needs to chill out and get help first.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
If Barrie does walk, DeAngelo could be a shrewd add at a bargain basement price. Nurse played his final junior season with DeAngelo, so he's probably got a pretty good idea of the kind of teammate he is.

Putting Bouchard in a position to fill the role left by Barrie is how you set that prospect up for failure in a similar way that Puljujarvi was expected to pick up some of the offense left by Hall's departure. It's just a bad way of developing your prospects.

DeAngelo put up similar production as Barrie did this season playing the majority of his minutes next to Marc Staal.
Tony D in the offensive zone at the same time as McDavid and Draisaitl would be disgusting. As long as he doesn't lose his mind that would be a great fit.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Obviously drama follows this guy but it's safe to say the current political climate played a part in his demise with the Rangers. Everyone is on eggshells. I'm not excusing his missteps in the past but not sure he would have been shown the door even two seasons ago.

Last edited:

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Yes. Yes I would:(

I do think he’s a great person deep down. He’s done a lot of great things that nobody talks about. I would want him to get some sort of psychological help first though and be the person (and player) he was last season. If he does, whichever team gets to sign him is going to go places (maybe even win the Cup if they are a top 10 team in the league right now). But DeAngelo obviously needs to chill out and get help first.
Could you name one great thing he has done? KHL coming for him, he will wash out there if anyone understands English.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad