Sony PS5 2

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I have a feeling that it's going to be very underwhelming.
I got baited so hard when I saw someone on twitter say "breaking news: Source confirms that 60 fps bloodborne will not be announced on thursday", I read fast and didn't read the not. Thats actually the deleted comment I posted above yours lol.

Edit: literally days after buying RDR2 they add it to PSNow. Not that I'm too upset RDR2 has a history of being on these services for a very short time

* I was right, it's on there until November.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I would categorize this statement under "accurate".
Yeah, didn't expect much. We also mostly know what the big SIE studios are up to. Santa Monica is working on God of War, Insomniac just put out 2 games but is likely working on Spiderman 2 and something else, Naughty Dog is working on Factions and the Last of Us remake, Polyphony Digital is a dedicated Gran Turismo studio, Sucker Punch is working on the Ghost of Tsushima directors cut, Guerilla is working on Horizon:Forbidden West, Housemarque just finished Returnal, etc. If they bought Bluepoint (which is highly likely), they also released a game within the last year, so I don't think they have anything on the immediate horizon. It would be nice to know what their plans for Team Asobi are, get Spiderman 2 officially confirmed, get a gameplay reveal of God of War, find out what the rumored 2nd Guerilla Studios game is, maybe find out what Bend is up to (but Days Gone only came out 2 years ago, and they worked on the PC port, and supported Naughty Dog on a project, so they may be a couple of years away from their next IP), find out what the Pixelopus project with Sony Animation is etc.

Since it was relegated to 2nd/3rd party and indies, it would have been nice to find out what this enhanced GTA V is. If its just an upgrade for online I don't care, but if their is an additional or new Story mode, I'll probably buy it (and have that game on 3 different platforms PS3, PS4 and PS5).

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Got The Last Guardian on disc for the 4k 60fps. The uncapped framerate (locked 60) was ironically patched out after Digital Foundry video on it and never put back in for the PS5, so the PS Plus version is locked to 30 fps. Apparently the 60 fps cap on the disc might have even been a mistake by the devs, as a 30 fps cap is actually active in the games code but not working without the patch. Weird situation.

Last edited:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I haven't played too many racing games on ps5 yet, but the new triggers are awesome for it. I guess that makes sense. F1 2021 overall feels pretty similar to 2020 otherwise, but it still really changes the whole feel of the game.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Got The Last Guardian on disc for the 4k 60fps. The uncapped framerate (locked 60) was ironically patched out after Digital Foundry video on it and never put back in for the PS5, so the PS Plus version is locked to 30 fps. Apparently the 60 fps cap on the disc might have even been a mistake by the devs, as a 30 fps cap is actually active in the games code but not working without the patch. Weird situation.

Same thing as with Assassin's Creed Unity on PS5.

They patched the game to 30fps to make it smoother on PS4... basically the PS4 could keep it closer to 30 fps more consistently, which is a smoother experience to the eye than jumping back and forth between framerates from 45-60.

Just be sure to cancel the auto-update each time you boot up the PS5 (or turn off auto-updates in the PS5 settings). If it successfully patches you'll have to uninstall the game and re-install the disk.

Since it's a single-player game, you can probably do the same thing I did with AC Unity, just unplug your ethernet cable or disconnect the system from wi-fi when you're planning on playing it.

As for the 30 fps cap in the code not working without the patch, it was because the game was coming out months within the PS4 Pro and the specs on that weren't locked until within its release year. So they kept the code inactive in case the PS4 Pro could handle the game smoothly at 60fps, but when it couldn't they released the patch to turn on the 30 fps code.

Somewhat unrelated: AC Unity running at 60fps is the best looking AC game to date, including the next-gen post-Origins games. Something about the way they baked the lighting into renderer makes the game look so damn good.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Same thing as with Assassin's Creed Unity on PS5.

They patched the game to 30fps to make it smoother on PS4... basically the PS4 could keep it closer to 30 fps more consistently, which is a smoother experience to the eye than jumping back and forth between framerates from 45-60.

Just be sure to cancel the auto-update each time you boot up the PS5 (or turn off auto-updates in the PS5 settings). If it successfully patches you'll have to uninstall the game and re-install the disk.

Since it's a single-player game, you can probably do the same thing I did with AC Unity, just unplug your ethernet cable or disconnect the system from wi-fi when you're planning on playing it.

As for the 30 fps cap in the code not working without the patch, it was because the game was coming out months within the PS4 Pro and the specs on that weren't locked until within its release year. So they kept the code inactive in case the PS4 Pro could handle the game smoothly at 60fps, but when it couldn't they released the patch to turn on the 30 fps code.

Somewhat unrelated: AC Unity running at 60fps is the best looking AC game to date, including the next-gen post-Origins games. Something about the way they baked the lighting into renderer makes the game look so damn good.
I actually looked into this and apparently the 60 fps does actually bug the games physics and breaks the game at points. So you kind of have to switch back and forth at points. I'm doing it. I gotta have my 4k 60 fps.

Reactions: JaegerDice

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Witcher 3 is so insanely cheap on sale I sometimes want to grab it even though I bought the base game and all DLCs on console and PC. I just want to pay the $10 for the GOTY icon lol.

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Picked the Metro PS5 version and Disco Elysium. Should have me covered until the Ghosts of Tsushima expansion and Kena come out.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Just a heads up, and this may be Canada only, but PS5 owners are getting 6 months free of Apple TV+. Thought it was all Sony users at first, and tried to do it through my PS4 which I basically use as a media box in my bedroom to stream stuff, but it has to be done through your PS5. Might have to update the app to. I'll probably use it to finally check out Ted Lasso, although Apple TV+, strikes me as the weakest of the streaming services, but 6 months free is 6 months free.

Apple TV+ offer | 6 months free trial on PS5 | PlayStation

Reactions: Oogie Boogie

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Just a heads up, and this may be Canada only, but PS5 owners are getting 6 months free of Apple TV+. Thought it was all Sony users at first, and tried to do it through my PS4 which I basically use as a media box in my bedroom to stream stuff, but it has to be done through your PS5. Might have to update the app to. I'll probably use it to finally check out Ted Lasso, although Apple TV+, strikes me as the weakest of the streaming services, but 6 months free is 6 months free.

Apple TV+ offer | 6 months free trial on PS5 | PlayStation

It’s a PS5 thing.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I can't believe mass effect Andromeda is and has been like a 3 dollar game for years. Even absolute garbage indie games don't go that cheap. Stores must have bought sooo many copies. I finally picked it up for 3 dollars just to see what the fuss is about.

I probably should have got the PC version just to give it more of a fighting chance (apparently the console version is on almost low settings) but who cares.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Any tips or tricks to finding a PS5? Every place I have stopped is sold out and has no idea when they will get more.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Any tips or tricks to finding a PS5? Every place I have stopped is sold out and has no idea when they will get more.
Follow (or if you're like me and don't use Twitter just regularly check) @mattswider. He sends notifications out for nearly every restock. It's certainly not a guarantee and still took me a couple months to actually land one, but he's the only reason I was able to do so.

Also, you're not likely to find any in an actual store, most companies are online only and sell out in minutes.

Reactions: YpsiWings

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Follow (or if you're like me and don't use Twitter just regularly check) @mattswider. He sends notifications out for nearly every restock. It's certainly not a guarantee and still took me a couple months to actually land one, but he's the only reason I was able to do so.

Also, you're not likely to find any in an actual store, most companies are online only and sell out in minutes.

That’s a big help, thank you. I just looked at his page and he has tweeted a lot more restocks than I anticipated, I’ll keep an eye on it and hopefully have some luck.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad