Sony PS5 2

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I don't really think that's true. The PS4 was outselling the Xbox One even at the very beginning of the generation when Microsoft was putting out better games than Sony. Microsoft "lost" themselves the last generation with their botched reveal.

Not to mention the fact that most people who buy consoles don't really care about the exclusives. Those sales numbers for Ratchet and Clank and Returnal seem about right to me given the amount of PS5s out there right now.

I certainly agree some of the early mistakes on Xbox One's design hurt Xbox sales greatly, but I do think exclusives played a big part.

While exclusives might not matter to many players, if you can play most of the good games one console has on the other that also has good exclusives....well, I think the choice is clear.

That is changing, however.

I think Sony has invested a lot in their first party studios for a reason, and I don't see them changing that path this early into the PS5's lifespan....especially, as you mention, they still can't keep them on shelves.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
I can't remember what games were exclusives for the Xbone at launch? Was it the standard Halo/Gears/Forza or were there other ones that I can't recall.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I can't remember what games were exclusives for the Xbone at launch? Was it the standard Halo/Gears/Forza or were there other ones that I can't recall.

Halo and Gears 5 at launch but they were already on PC as well. Most of their stuff (Pay and Game Pass) is Older stuff or 3rd party stuff. There are some exclusive gems in Game Pass but it's still considered launch for Xbox/PS so there isn't too much right now. It's been that way across the board for a long time.

Reactions: Khelandros

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I think Sony has invested a lot in their first party studios for a reason, and I don't see them changing that path this early into the PS5's lifespan....especially, as you mention, they still can't keep them on shelves.

This is one of Microsoft's biggest faults in the Xbox program since launch. They don't have the skills to recognize and develop talent internally. Because they're Microsoft they can back up a truck load of money to some studio or company and buy them out.

Reactions: Khelandros

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Looking at the reviews so far of PS5 sports titles and yikes, it's not good. Also don't think a slim version is coming out till 2023 at least, not sure if I wanna wait that long or not but the current model is just so ridiculous looking for a desk setup.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I certainly agree some of the early mistakes on Xbox One's design hurt Xbox sales greatly, but I do think exclusives played a big part.

While exclusives might not matter to many players, if you can play most of the good games one console has on the other that also has good exclusives....well, I think the choice is clear.

That is changing, however.

There's a ton of factors that keep people with one platform or the other. Sometimes they seem trivial and others important.

Some people will honestly stay PlayStation because of their Trophy collection, and feel connected to the brand through that. Others, won't want to walk away from the next Horizon, God of War, or Spider-Man. People are just attached to the brand, they may just like the controller lay-out, it's what they've always played, it's what their friends primarily play etc.

I don't really think that's true. The PS4 was outselling the Xbox One even at the very beginning of the generation when Microsoft was putting out better games than Sony. Microsoft "lost" themselves the last generation with their botched reveal.

Not to mention the fact that most people who buy consoles don't really care about the exclusives. Those sales numbers for Ratchet and Clank and Returnal seem about right to me given the amount of PS5s out there right now.
The attach rate for Ratchet and Clank is actually insanely high for a game. Something like 11% of PS5 owners own the game. No way that holds for the lifespan of the system, but even the best PS4 exclusives only have attach rate around that, and that's after multiple markdowns or being sold at less than $20 bucks in greatest hits collections or sales on PSN.

I do think exclusives still mean a fair amount to Sony (and they are the lifeblood of Nintendo). 5 of Sony's 11 best selling games were exclusives for the PS5 (Uncharted, Marvel's Spiderman, God of War, Horizon, Last of Us Remastered). X Box is hard to gauge because all exclusives are now Gamepass day of, but the only console exclusive in their top 10 was Halo reach for the last generation (they did produce PUBG and Minecraft though).

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
There's a ton of factors that keep people with one platform or the other. Sometimes they seem trivial and others important.

Some people will honestly stay PlayStation because of their Trophy collection, and feel connected to the brand through that. Others, won't want to walk away from the next Horizon, God of War, or Spider-Man. People are just attached to the brand, they may just like the controller lay-out, it's what they've always played, it's what their friends primarily play etc.

Xbox for me is mainly due to the collection of online friends I have amassed over 20 years, and Gears and Halo. Many of my friends would pick up a PS for The Show in the past and many of the games we all play now have cross-play anyways. Gamepass is pretty amazing because you really need only a couple of good games on there a year for it to be worth it, and then you can try so much other stuff with zero commitment.

Xbox dug themselves a whole by announcing DRM 1st many years ago and bundling Kinect, plus lack of exclusives.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Xbox for me is mainly due to the collection of online friends I have amassed over 20 years, and Gears and Halo. Many of my friends would pick up a PS for The Show in the past and many of the games we all play now have cross-play anyways. Gamepass is pretty amazing because you really need only a couple of good games on there a year for it to be worth it, and then you can try so much other stuff with zero commitment.

Xbox dug themselves a whole by announcing DRM 1st many years ago and bundling Kinect, plus lack of exclusives.

I play both next Gen consoles and each have their pluses and minuses. Since this is still considered launch for them games aren’t there yet.

For example, Xbox’s out of the box privacy is HORRIBLE. I’ve never seen anything like it before. That and the fact that Xbox STILL doesn’t allow third party devices to be plug and play (like microphones for capturing chat in streaming and things like steering wheels or Fligh Sim controllers). That and not being able to capture more than three minutes of game footage at a Time or be able to Capture consecutive video captures.

Playstation 5 has some of the worst usability I’ve ever seen. It’s like they took a huge step
Back from PS4. You shouldn’t have to dig through menus to shut down a game. That and their out of the box photo/video editor is like a game developers final project that got an F.

Last edited:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I play both next Gen consoles and each have their pluses and minuses. Since this is still considered launch for them games aren’t there yet.

For example, Xbox’s out of the box privacy is HORRIBLE. I’ve never seen anything like it before. That and the fact that Xbox STILL doesn’t allow third party devices to be plug and play (like microphones for capturing chat in streaming and things like steering wheels or Fligh Sim controllers). That and not being able to capture more than three minutes of game footage at a Time or be able to Capture consecutive video captures.

Playstation 5 has some of the worst usability I’ve ever seen. It’s like they took a huge step
Back from PS4. You shouldn’t have to dig through menus to shut down a game. That and their out of the box photo/video editor is like a game developers final project that got an F.

I have not used anything with the series X but I recall many people using different keyboards, headsets, etc with previous versions. The capture on already played clips is down to 1 minute which is annoying. Just allow for whatever your disc space allows.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I have not used anything with the series X but I recall many people using different keyboards, headsets, etc with previous versions. The capture on already played clips is down to 1 minute which is annoying. Just allow for whatever your disc space allows.
PlayStation 5 has similar space and allows up to an hour of recording.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

It is likely checkerboard not true 4K, but the game was somehow made for PS3 and Xbox 360. I think the only thing that could get me to buy this is something added to single player story, and not just some new online only cars.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
It is likely checkerboard not true 4K, but the game was somehow made for PS3 and Xbox 360. I think the only thing that could get me to buy this is something added to single player story, and not just some new online only cars.

I think they are adding to the story if memory serves.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I know nobody cares about the free PS Plus Games anymore but holy cow Hunter Arena Legends was so bad that I got bored of it in the tutorial.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008

40y7us.jpg

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I know nobody cares about the free PS Plus Games anymore but holy cow Hunter Arena Legends was so bad that I got bored of it in the tutorial.
I feel if I get 2 to 3 games a year I like its worth it (Control ultimate was great). PS Plus collection on PS5 is great although, I'd already beaten GoW and Uncharted 4. But, I beat Arkham Knight, Ratchet and Clank (2016), and Infamous: Second Son through that.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I still look forward to the new announcements for PS plus games. Plague Tale Innocence was a hit this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad