GDT: Sonny @ The Jets - 730PM EDT

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I don't know if it was a matter of effort. Those guys are just bigger, faster, stronger, and more skilled.
Very sloppy game from the Caps, even in 1st period. They weren't fatigued yet and were already making a lot of dumb mistakes. This West time zone must have messed their timing up or something. A lot of East teams say going to Winnipeg makes road trip tough.

Really need the Kings to take care of the Islanders now.
Yeah, I hope they can and not allow Patrick Roy to get them again, as a coach!

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Chalk one up for the tank!

The month of March looks tremendous for the tank:

@ Edmonton
@ Seattle
@ Vancouver
@ Calgary
vs Toronto
vs Carolina
vs Winnpeg
vs Detroit
@ Toronto
vs Boston

That's as brutal a schedule as you could possibly ask for. Lottery pick here we come (hopefully)!

Reactions: usiel

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Chalk one up for the tank!

The month of March looks tremendous for the tank:

@ Edmonton
@ Seattle
@ Vancouver
@ Calgary
vs Toronto
vs Carolina
vs Winnpeg
vs Detroit
@ Toronto
vs Boston

That's as brutal a schedule as you could possibly ask for. Lottery pick here we come (hopefully)!
Only Jets, Oilers and Canucks scare me. Thatcher Demko is out 2-3 weeks, so they will probably face DeSmith. We already shutout the Bruins once. Caps play better at home this season. Kraken are an inconsistent team and the Caps are capable of beating the Flames. Wings won't be playing us in their building on 2nd of back2backs. Leafs, if they aren't having fun with their offense, then they play less consistent. Caps should have a chip on their shoulder playing against Kuzy for the first time when he let the team down too many times with his drug use and attitude.

Last edited:

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
Minus Twabby's horrible assessment of Wilson, he would have been a needed player against these Jets. Wilson has the size, wheels, shot and toughness to play in a game like this.

I was thinking this exact thing while watching. This game was a Tom Wilson kind of game. They missed him a ton tonight.

We didn't have an answer for the their aggressive forecheck from the drop of the puck. I'm not really mad about this one, though. If we can find a way to squeeze 5 points out of the remaining 4 games on this road trip we'll still be in the playoff hunt.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
One thing they have proved all season is they can’t slow down fast teams. No matter what their record speed causes us tons of issues.
Up to the coaching staff to figure that out, convey it to the players and the players then have to execute. I didn't like the lines and I didn't like how the Caps weren't trying find ways to slow down the Jets. If the forecheck is not working, there are 3/4th's of ways to slow down a fast team. You can still slow down the neutral zone as that where fast teams hit their speed, stand up at the blue line and create good exits out of your D-Zone. Caps did nothing of the sort. Caps never had their legs in this game because they were playing very dumb, defending and chasing the game too much.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Did anyone not like HL/Protas being paired with OV tonight? I would have gone with Strome/Oshie instead. Patches seemed to have a disappointing game being a vet player.

Reactions: um

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Did anyone not like HL/Protas being paired with OV tonight? I would have gone with Strome/Oshie instead. Patches seemed to have a disappointing game being a vet player.
Oshie on a line with Ovie would probably be the slowest line in the entire league...

Where is Twabby with the game puck?? Is anybody worth of the vaunted game puck?!? :laugh:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

I didn't like it, but mostly because Ovi slowed them down. It's not a very good mix, I'd rather have Miro in that spot in a game like this.

Ovi had better looks in the brief amount of time he had with Strome, who plays at a similar pace.

Praetorian Caps

May 15, 2018
Only Jets, Oilers and Canucks scare me. Thatcher Demko is out 2-3 weeks, so they will probably face DeSmith. We already shutout the Bruins once. Caps play better at home this season. Kraken are an inconsistent team and the Caps are capable of beating the Flames. Wings won't be playing us in their building on 2nd of back2backs. Leafs, if they aren't having fun with their offense, then they play less consistent. Caps should have a chip on their shoulder playing against Kuzy for the first time when he let the team down too many times with his drug use and attitude.
The Canucks just laid a 5-0 beating on the team that just beat The Caps. So yeah that is going to be a brutal game. Oilers are inconsistent and play down to their competition, see The Sabers game.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Oshie on a line with Ovie would probably be the slowest line in the entire league...

Where is Twabby with the game puck?? Is anybody worth of the vaunted game puck?!? :laugh:
Lindgren! He was the only player on the team that showed up!

Easy to asses that, but it wasn't tried. You have to give OV more experienced players on a line and not a couple young players that are still learning their way.

Reactions: PlushMinus

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
WPG tonight reminded me of us in 2016? or 2017 when we shut down NYI in LI and held them to fewest shots in their history, like 11

Good game on their part, start to finish
Oh well, regroup and do it again

Reactions: tycoonheart

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
The Canucks just laid a 5-0 beating on the team that just beat The Caps. So yeah that is going to be a brutal game. Oilers are inconsistent and play down to their competition, see The Sabers game.
That 5-0 game means nothing for when we play the Canucks. Canucks came to Capital One and the Caps played them well, going 2-2 into OT until CMM made one of the dumbest mistakes of the season.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
1710216437387.gif

A low bar tonight, but my game puck goes to Sonny Milano for a team-high 65% xG share while also not conceding a goal while on the ice. On a night like tonight, sometimes this is all that it takes to earn the highest honor a player can receive.

Honorable mentions go to Milano's linemates Dylan Strome and Ivan Miroshnichenko for also eclipsing the 50% chance share barrier while also not conceding while on the ice.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I just want to cry over Alexyev. He should be good. He is not.
Orlov made way more bone head plays trying to it at the NHL level. Of course a rebuilding team young D get a longer leash and ultimately a faster evaluation if they are going to make it or not. Look at the home grown NHL D development-wise. Basically Carlson, Orlov, Alzner (before injury derailment). With caps being in long win mode rookie dman don't get the rope. Fever is an outlier just how fast he could establish himself.

Just finishing up this game other have said what the eyes seem. The other team was big, fast, and played as a unit. Caps in 2017/2018 regular season form the game would have been completely different, heh.

Miro impressed me some of the better forechecking and board work so far in my watching.

Caps D core needs more speed overall. Fever will help a bit. TVR has definitely slowed down. Carlson has slowed down a bit but he has good hockey sense and veteran Dness that allows some older D players to keep playing the game.

Last edited:

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Miro impressed me some of the better forechecking and board work so far in my watching.

Caps D core needs more speed overall. Fever will help a bit. TVR has definitely slowed down. Carlson has slowed down a bit but he has good hockey sense and veteran Dness that allows some older D players to keep playing the game.

Yea, Miro was the only highlight tonight for me. Pretty tenacious puck hound at times. Always has a nose for the net, and fires off shots when he can. Solid grinding game from the youngster.

I hope there is still a spot for him with Oshie and Wilson back.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
View attachment 834430

A low bar tonight, but my game puck goes to Sonny Milano for a team-high 65% xG share while also not conceding a goal while on the ice. On a night like tonight, sometimes this is all that it takes to earn the highest honor a player can receive.

Honorable mentions go to Milano's linemates Dylan Strome and Ivan Miroshnichenko for also eclipsing the 50% chance share barrier while also not conceding while on the ice.
The bolded made me lol.

I was sure it would be Lindgren!

Professor Net Nerd will not be happy with you.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Yea, Miro was the only highlight tonight for me. Pretty tenacious puck hound at times. Always has a nose for the net, and fires off shots when he can. Solid grinding game from the youngster.

I hope there is still a spot for him with Oshie and Wilson back.

Any other team than Winnipeg and Miro scores a goal. He had some good shots.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Curious how the game would've gone with a more healthy lineup with Willy/Fever/Dowd
I only saw the first period and it looked like we were being dominated. I don't think it would've mattered that much unless Wilson turned the clock back a few years and blasted half the WPG team into the benches.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
yeah I'm not suggesting they would've won
just wondering if they would've had a more even game or at least not stuck with the cycle of barely clearing it out > stuck in zone > barely clearing it out > play more D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad