Speculation: RBAs next contract

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Or, more likely, Rod’s agent leaked the report to Dreger, because he’s an agent and he’s trying to get Rod his money, and Dreger reported it. It’s no coincidence this came out an hour after Waddell stated he’s confident a deal will get done.
Or they are looking at expiring contracts and throwing shit at the wall seeing what sticks

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
No? Ok.

Look, there are a billion reasons for Rod to stay, as we have all discussed over and over and over. But if you think it's plausible that regular hardball negotiation means that Rod is getting ready to walk because Jeff Daniels isn't getting another $250k or whatever, feel free to catastrophize all you want.

RBA was Dundon's biggest bet. When everyone else said it was stupid, that guy pushed in his chips for Rod. It's the single best decision he ever made. He basically chose Brindy over Francis. Why do we have any reason, other than some half-ass rumor mongering, to believe that he has changed his mind one iota?
Remember how the major pundits said we weren't going to be involved in Guentzel because we don't do rentals and they don't see Dundon changing that mindset anytime soon?

Yeah, as you said, rumor mongering to drive clicks. When it comes to the Carolina Hurricanes, the national media doesn't know its ass from a hole in the ground

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Guess what keeps it from coming out right before we play the Rags? If it's already announced two months ago or before the last year of his contract begins.
Then the media would have to dig up something else negative about Canes. Actually sounds a smart strategy to let the media ruminate about this instead, if/as you yourself are in possession of the fact that the papers are already ready and all this is empty nonsense. We certainly don't want to read headlines about some married player pounding a team employee. Again.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Who knows what will happen (although I believe a deal will be announced once the playoffs are over, AND that it should have been done earlier,, just to forestall this kind of press nonsense), but here is your reminder for today:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The impending demise of the Carolina Hurricanes because they're led by a cheap owner drives page clicks in Canada. Its not surprising to see this come from them right after we won a playoff round for the 6th year in a row

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
That is such a bullshit cop out tweet.

RBAs status is up in the air: True. He has mot signed an extension. Doesnt mean anything.

Then the quote he uses from the source is if they can't get a deal done he will have to explore the market.

Yeah, no shit. If they dont re-sign him, hes a free agent.

I could tweet the same f***ing thing about literally any UFA on the team right now and it would be 100% true without having any kind of source.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

Weeksy joins the fray. My memory palace is rather full these days so I can't recall..did one of the assistants leave the last time when RBA was negotiating - he was trying to get them more $ then, too?

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
From Luke's article today

Screenshot_20240501-171640.png

Owner says final details are being worked out and he's agreeing to basically everything being asked and the contract is being finalized. Brindy says it's in the owners hands to finalize.

But yeah, let's listen to anonymous sources who are trying to stir the pot before we play NY in a series that will probably determine who wins the East...

Weekes is NY media now?
What is Toronto if not Canada's New York

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
From Luke's article today

View attachment 863153

Owner says final details are being worked out and he's agreeing to basically everything being asked and the contract is being finalized. Brindy says it's in the owners hands to finalize.

But yeah, let's listen to anonymous sources who are trying to stir the pot before we play NY in a series that will probably determine who wins the East...

What is Toronto if not Canada's New York

I mean, you’d expect the owner and GM to act confident that a deal could get done. They certainly can’t say otherwise. But as we’ve seen in the past:

Action speaks louder than words.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
no, guys. i'm 100% sure that waddell and dundon pulled the offer as in "there will be no additional follow up, you will not be our coach" no doubt, def no clickbait.

dreger using the "it's believed" - well, darren, who believes it? you? your pet? anyone legitimately connected to the negotiations?

excuse me while i go talk to a couple special people, then draft my "it's believed the earth is flat" tweet.

this is all stupid, it is all for clicks, and it is just so tiresome.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I mean if Waddell were to say "Things aren't looking good on the RBA deal" it'd be a huge distraction to the team. Things very well could be going south and we're at risk of losing Rod. But I still personally think it gets done.

If it doesn't get done you're going to have a lot of pissed off fans and could really hurt the upward growth we've seen of this fanbase. Only way I see Rod leaving in a amicable way is if we roll off a few losing seasons in a row and need a new voice or he decides to retire.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Based on the wording of Rod's quote up there and the fact that there are a flood of reports from both sides coming out today, here's my educated guess.

- Rod/his agent presented a deal before the playoffs began. Rod obviously wants to focus on the playoffs itself and trusts his agent to get a deal done. Either way, "It's in Tom's hands" because RBA isn't going to have time to negotiate while the playoffs are going on
- Negotiations faltered. I'm assuming winning this past round triggered it. Maybe there was a clause that activated, maybe his agent pushed for a little more because of the series win, whathaveyou. But it's hit a snag
- Both sides leak a bit of info to the press, Waddell/Tom with their "confidence in getting the deal done" and Rod's side with the "pulled offer." This was done to try and get the other side to budge.

I imagine the deal will still get done, but it's ridiculous that it's hit this point. Especially after dealing with similar issues last time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad