GDT: Somethings A Bruin At Home - #5 // Bruins @ Oilers // Oct 18 @ 7 PM MST // TV: SNET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Maybe the Oilers should stop eating pre game turkey as a meal and go the traditional pregame meals. They seem sleepy every first 10 to 20 minutes of every game.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yup...this isnt on Talbot. The D zone coverage has to be much better.
Talbot hasn't been amazing by any means but many of the goals against the Oilers have been the result of poor coverage and foolish turnovers in their own end.

Watching the Bruins last night made me think of the Oilers defensive coverage in their own end at times.

It doesn't matter who's in the next if the Oilers don't clean up behind the blue line.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Some stats:

And according to Jason Gregor Gaggiula does not expect to play today:

GDB 5.0: Home Opener (7pm MT, SN1)

According to Gregor the lineup is:

RNH-McDavid-Rattie
Rieder-Draisaitl-Puljujärvi
Lucic-Strome-Yamamoto
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Garrison-Benning

Talbot

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Maybe the Oilers should stop eating pre game turkey as a meal and go the traditional pregame meals. They seem sleepy every first 10 to 20 minutes of every game.

Maybe they are tired out from over practicing and skating from the coach. A lot of teams have moved away from game day skates and practices but not the Oilers.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
ZERO shots for Lucic 5 on 5 in 50+ minutes? Excuse me Milan? We're not paying you just to bang bodies you know.

Yeah well hes more useful when hes actually doing that. He caused a lot of turnovers and chances for his linemates by being a terror in the corners last game.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
The defense is really pick your poison. Either you play Benning, Garrison, or raw rookies.

There's no perfect solution until the defense is upgraded.
Agreed. We can moan and groan about Benning or whoever makes the most errors in a said game but the reality is none of these guys should really be playing.... In the perfect world only one of these guys would be playing and the other member of their pairing would be a reliable #5.. not another disaster.

If the Oilers signed me and forced me to play hard minutes, would you all be cursing my name? Or would you be ragging on the GM to find someone to replace me? I know my answer.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah well hes more useful when hes actually doing that. He caused a lot of turnovers and chances for his linemates by being a terror in the corners last game.
Zero shots is still zero shots. On a line that absolutely needs offense that's not acceptable. 7 shots between him, Draisatl and Yamamoto at nearly a game's worth of ES time is remarkably sad.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Anybody here bike to Rogers place? If so, where do you put your helmet? Do they allow backpacks in Rogers place?

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Just watching the team interviews from yesterday, I wish the media would quit asking the other players what they think of Connor's greatness lol.

It's cringe worthy. It's like Stauffer always trying to shove his thoughts down a guests throat so the guest agrees with him.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Maybe we shouldn't be leaving players wide open in scoring areas?

Just a thought.

Our defense has been trash, have our bottom 4 as we do we’re going to give up a lot of goals this year, Benning is good for at least one again. Having him and potentially Bouchard/Garrison on the last pair, there going to give up at least a goal a night.

Halak has been solid to start this year as well, don’t see us winning this against a team coming off a loss last night, if they hop out to a lead early they will shut us down after that

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Zero shots is still zero shots. On a line that absolutely needs offense that's not acceptable. 7 shots between him, Draisatl and Yamamoto at nearly a game's worth of ES time is remarkably sad.
I think you are looking at his salary which is horrible i agree. However maybe we should start looking if his linemates are getting the shots from now on. Hes been moved to the third line and seemed be clicking with Strome. Give it another game to see if that will be the miracle tonic to his game, less ice time might make him more productive and less prone to turtle speed.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Will probably watch the 3rd period while having breakfast and then go for a hike. Don't ruin my day, Oilers! :laugh:

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Garrison isn't better so the difference there is not of relevance.

Maybe he isn't better, but he plays a much less active game that results in less errors. He makes errors, but he doesn't force errors like Benning does. I take Garrison over Benning most times, tbh.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
McLellan said Bouchard will be in the lineup tonight.

Well I heard it too and actually Gregor wrote about it: "Tonight pairs are up in the air. Larsson, Nurse, Klefbom, Russell, Matt Benning and Evan Bouchard will play." So I guess there was a misprint there...

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think you are looking at his salary which is horrible i agree. However maybe we should start looking if his linemates are getting the shots from now on. Hes been moved to the third line and seemed be clicking with Strome. Give it another game to see if that will be the miracle tonic to his game, less ice time might make him more productive and less prone to turtle speed.
That whole line has been pretty damn bad but zero shots is hard to look past, especially when he's supposed to be the "go to the net" guy. I hope he excels on Strome's line.

sundaysleftovers

Feb 28, 2013
Saskatchewan
Well I heard it too and actually Gregor wrote about it: "Tonight pairs are up in the air. Larsson, Nurse, Klefbom, Russell, Matt Benning and Evan Bouchard will play." So I guess there was a misprint there...

They should move Benning to 4th line right wing, couldn't do any worse. :sarcasm: Maybe he will click with brodz and jj.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Talbot hasn't been amazing by any means but many of the goals against the Oilers have been the result of poor coverage and foolish turnovers in their own end.

Watching the Bruins last night made me think of the Oilers defensive coverage in their own end at times.

It doesn't matter who's in the next if the Oilers don't clean up behind the blue line.

Talbot has been very good IMO.
If the Oilers can shore up the D zone and Talbot plays at the same level this team will win more games than it loses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad