Dreger: Some speculation linked the Leafs to Nashville Predators forward Mikael Granlund

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
It may not be what you want but its better than what Hall got. Give me an example of the type of trade you are looking for - with actual examples of trades made within the past 5 years.
That’s not how horrible trade offers work. I don’t have to prove the BS you posted as being inadequate.

give me an example of a comparable player to Forsberg and age that has been traded. Show me the return.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
That’s not how horrible trade offers work. I don’t have to prove the BS you posted as being inadequate.

give me an example of a comparable player to Forsberg and age that has been traded. Show me the return.
First off I stated I wasn't a Preds fan so wasn't sure exactly what they would want. Secondly I'm asking what you are using as a benchmark because I am curious as it could help me understand Fosbergs value from a Preds standpoint, you choosing to be an asshole is 100% an indication of you as a human.

Trades I use to establish value.
O'Reilly to St. Louis for 1st, 2nd, Thompson (prospect) and 2 contracts to balance cap
Toffoli to Vancouver for 2nd and Madden (Prospect)
Schenn to St. Louis for Lehtera, 1st (27th overall) and another 1st
Hall to Phx for Merkley, Schnarr, Bahl, 1st and 3rd
Hall to NJ for Larsson
Kessel (with 2 prospects), 2nd to Pitt for Kapanen (prospect), 1st, 3rd, players to balance cap
Kadri, Rosen and 3rd to Colorado for Barrie (retained), Kerfoot, 6th

Not all are the exact situation as Forsberg, not all are the same skill set, but there are enough examples here to make an educated guess as what the return for 1.3 seasons of a winger could be.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016

Anderson for Domi and a 3rd
Toffoli for Shaller+Madden+2nd+4th
Miller for Mazanec+1st+3rd
Trouba for 1st+Pionk
Stone for Brannstrom+Lindberg+2nd
Muzzin for Druzi+Grundstrom+1st
Skinner for Pu 2nd 3rd 6th
Kane for 1st+4th+O'Regan
Statsny for Foley+1st+4th
Duchenne for Bowers+Hannomd+1st+3rd
Turris for Girard+Kamenev+2nd
Hamonic+4th for 1st+2nd+2nd
B.Schenn for Lehtera+1st+1st
E.Staal for 2 2nds and Saarela
Hamilton for a 1st and 2 2nds
Kessel for 2 1sts and a 2nd

As you can see no one does their top 2 prospects and 1sts LOL
1st+Amirov+Engvall for Forsberg is actually way way closer to reality than 1st+Sandin+Robertson+

Reactions: banks and Leaftors

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Trouba for 1st+Pionk
Kane for 1st+4th+O'Regan

1st+Amirov+Engvall for Forsberg is actually way way closer to reality than 1st+Sandin+Robertson+
Only problem is teams were looking to trade those players. Poile has already stated he is not looking to trade Forsberg so if you are going to get him you are going to need to change his mind. None of those deals you have listed would do that.

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
Trouba for 1st+Pionk
Kane for 1st+4th+O'Regan

still over payment in my books.......

OB34KNH

Apr 11, 2019
Leaf fans have balked at the asking price for Forsberg in every thread I have read and they have countered with what I think it would take to get Arvidsson so I'm not sure there is a lot of common ground.

Why does it matter?
Are the 'fans' the GMs?

Why are you getting so worked up about this? Do you not have better stuff do, this is a site for "theoretical/fantasy" trades. Obviously, the fans aren't ever going to perceive player value to a tee.

OB34KNH

Apr 11, 2019
No you wouldn't, trust me

Are you the GM of the preds?

I highly doubt that you know the value of Forsberg.
For all you know it could be a 1st + Prospect (i.e. Amirov).

It's ridiculous how these fans think they are some insiders on the team and know everything, and, can read the GMs mind. Laughable.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Granlund makes sense to the leafs, top 6 forward who can PK. Sounds exactly like what they need along with another dman.

Granlund yes, defenseman no.

Only way a defenseman makes sense this year is if we are getting a top pairing RHD which moves Brodie to the 2nd pairing, Holl to the 3rd, and Bogosian to being the #7 dman. I don't think this upgrade would be worth the price (or work capwise) as Brodie, Holl, and Bogosian have been good to great in their roles.

Getting Granlund (or another top 6 player who can PK) is the biggest need for the Leafs this year. As long as Andersen or Campbell can be an average to above average goalie, the Leafs will have a decent shot this year.

Any other team adjustments would likely need to be in the summer and require some serious cap manipulation or moving a core/important support player.

Edit: I should add that upgrading Holl on the 2nd pairing is an option, but he's been great for his caphit this year and the team loves Bogosian as our #5/6 Dman so that's why I don't see that being likely either.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Granlund yes, defenseman no.

Only way a defenseman makes sense this year is if we are getting a top pairing RHD which moves Brodie to the 2nd pairing, Holl to the 3rd, and Bogosian to being the #7 dman. I don't think this upgrade would be worth the price (or work capwise) as Brodie, Holl, and Bogosian have been good to great in their roles.

Getting Granlund (or another top 6 player who can PK) is the biggest need for the Leafs this year. As long as Andersen or Campbell can be an average to above average goalie, the Leafs will have a decent shot this year.

Any other team adjustments would likely need to be in the summer and require some serious cap manipulation or moving a core/important support player.

Edit: I should add that upgrading Holl on the 2nd pairing is an option, but he's been great for his caphit this year and the team loves Bogosian as our #5/6 Dman so that's why I don't see that being likely either.

It's mainly an injury concern, the leafs have a pretty solid 1 through 6 for the first time in who knows how long. But if one of your top 4 go down I feel like you are in trouble in the playoffs.

Not thinking of an Ekholm more so a Montour as a rental, plays both sides and even though I think he'd be your 4th best Dman you play him in the bottom pair and role:

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Montour - Bogosian.

If there is any injury in your top 4 Montour can fill that spot on either side and Dermot comes back in to play the left side on the bottom pair.

Reactions: Community

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
It's mainly an injury concern, the leafs have a pretty solid 1 through 6 for the first time in who knows how long. But if one of your top 4 go down I feel like you are in trouble in the playoffs.

Not thinking of an Ekholm more so a Montour as a rental, plays both sides and even though I think he'd be your 4th best Dman you play him in the bottom pair and role:

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Montour - Bogosian.

If there is any injury in your top 4 Montour can fill that spot on either side and Dermot comes back in to play the left side on the bottom pair.

Definitely possible. However, I think Dubas is confident that Liljegren/Sandin can fill in the bottom pairing if an injury occurs and be a good player for us in the #6 spot as adding a player like Montour would probably require us moving Kerfoot and opening up a hole elsewhere.

I would love to add depth and injury insurance, but we are fairly tight against the cap and if Mo/Brodie/Muzzin go down, its not like there are many realistic options to fill their spots without 50% retention, overpaying, and/or making significant roster moves.

You're right that it's possible and a cheaper #4-5D wouldnt be the worst option to consider, but I think given our situation we can afford (and need) another option as scoring depth and can't spend much on trading for potential injury replacements given the cap situation this year.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Montour - Bogosian.

Montour is not good defensively Ekholm is ...why would we want to get even worse on defense than we are already by adding Montour.
if you are going to add a defensive liability at the trade deadline, i'd much rather stand pat.
Dermot > Montour

Reactions: zeke

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
Is Granlund even an upgrade on Galchenyuk these days? Not sure why Leafs would give up more then they did to acquire Galy (next to nothing)

Reactions: New Liskeard

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Montour - Bogosian.

Acquiring defensive depth is fine, but Montour is overkill. The Leafs are not scratching one of their best defensive performers and one that has carried their 3rd pair for years who, if anything, needs increased opportunity. Dermott's PK ability is more important than adding an offensive presence, which is why Sandin/Liljegren are being overcooked behind him. If anything, Bogosian would be bumped to #7.

I'd rather the team just promote Liljegren from the taxi squad and ease him into defensive assignments, which he's excelled in at the AHL level. If they don't anticipate giving him many games, then you obviously don't want to rely on an inexperienced rookie in the playoffs in the event of injury. A low-cost vet option could be something worth looking into but it's not a priority. Internal development is the more ideal route.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Granlund isn't my 1st choice, but I trust in Dubas' pro scouting.

Would be tough to stomach anything more than a 2nd tbh.
As you should. He isn’t worth more than that. You should make Nashville eat Kerfoot’s contract if they want more.

to Nashville: 2022 1st and Kerfoot. To Toronto: Grunland.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad