Dreger: Some speculation linked the Leafs to Nashville Predators forward Mikael Granlund

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Too much smoke to not be a fire IMHO. The Granlund rumours just won't go away.

NHL Rumor Mill – March 3, 2021 | Spectors Hockey

"TSN: Darren Dreger reports the Toronto Maple Leafs still want to bolster their forward lines before the April 12 trade deadline. Some speculation linked the Leafs to Nashville Predators forward Mikael Granlund. Dreger thinks there could be a fit if the Predators agree to retain some of Granlund’s salary. The Leafs have the prospects and draft picks to make something happen.
SPECTOR’S NOTE: Cap Friendly shows the Leafs with just over $130K of trade-deadline cap space. Granlund has over $2.1 million remaining of his $3.75 million salary for this season. No chance of a deal there unless the Preds absorb a considerable chunk of his salary or take back a contract of equal or greater value."

It seems like the leafs will have to give up a little more than other teams would pay to make this work.

How do you think this deal might happen? TOR needs to slightly overpay?

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Friedman brought this up a couple weeks ago . Speculation was a 2nd and 3rd I believe. Not sure why Toronto specifically would have to overpay when most teams, especially ones w Playoff aspirations are up against the cap/would require retention.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Wish they'd hurry up and do it. Been stashing Granlund on my fantasy team all season in the hopes he'd wind up somewhere better and give me a late season boost.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I’m definitely among those that believe whoever acquires Granlund will be getting a steal. He has a lot to offer still and I think Nashville has been a bad fit and he’s poised to return to form if he lands in the right spot. I’ve always thought Oilers would be smart to target him while the price is low - that’s a team that is starving for talent on the wing and Granlund would have a lot of time and space next to McD/Drai.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I’m definitely among those that believe whoever acquires Granlund will be getting a steal. He has a lot to offer still and I think Nashville has been a bad fit and he’s poised to return to form if he lands in the right spot. I’ve always thought Oilers would be smart to target him while the price is low - that’s a team that is starving for talent on the wing and Granlund would have a lot of time and space next to McD/Drai.

Granlund has definitely returned to form this season compared to the last two, it's just our team is gawdawful.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
If it happens, march 13 seems like a good day. They have finished playing the 2nd best team in the division, with only a hand full of games over the 14 day quarantine period against the Sens and Flames. I would guess Dermott would go back the other way, which I'm not overly thrilled about. And I don't see any way Nashville does this for bottom line players (Vesey/Petan/Barabanov) plus picks, but if they would that would be a HUGE win for the Leafs.

Reactions: TML1967

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Granlund will be worth more if NSH has to retain a lot or take back unwanted salary. A late 2nd would be better than nothing, but i would think that some other teams could beat that easily.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Friedman brought this up a couple weeks ago . Speculation was a 2nd and 3rd I believe. Not sure why Toronto specifically would have to overpay when most teams, especially ones w Playoff aspirations are up against the cap/would require retention.
Florida - $14.7 deadline cap space
Carolina - $11.7 deadline cap space
Boston - $8.6 deadline cap space
Philly - $6.9 deadline cap space
Montreal - $4.2 deadline cap space
Pitt - $1.5 deadline cap space
Minny - $1.3 deadline cap space
Colorado - $1.2 deadline cap space
All these teams have more cap space than Toronto and would require the Preds to retain less or would require less going back to the Preds in terms of a cap dump. If the offer requires retention and a dump it will cost the Leafs more than one of the teams with more cap.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Granlund has definitely returned to form this season compared to the last two, it's just our team is gawdawful.
That's good to hear.

Nashville is my 2nd favourite team and watch them a lot.
Have really soured on Granlund but since the team isn't so good this year, I'm not watching as much.

You think he's back to what the Preds thought they were getting?

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Throw Ingram in it too while you're at it

Lol no.

That's good to hear.

Nashville is my 2nd favourite team and watch them a lot.
Have really soured on Granlund but since the team isn't so good this year, I'm not watching as much.

You think he's back to what the Preds thought they were getting?

In terms of hustle and defensively play, yes. He's shown his offensive flair more and more this season too, he's 3rd on the team in points and goals, it's not entirely impressive when he's only got 4 goals and 9 points, but still. It's something.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Would Kerfoot be going the other way? This would eliminate 3.5m of cap space by Toronto for future usage in other years. Trading Kerfoot + pick for a pending UFA makes sense.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Speculation by Leaf fans? I would think there would be 4-5 teams willing to offer a better return for Granlund than a very late 2nd and a very late 3rd, especially given his low cap hit and the fact the Leafs would need retention and a dump.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Florida - $14.7 deadline cap space
Carolina - $11.7 deadline cap space
Boston - $8.6 deadline cap space
Philly - $6.9 deadline cap space
Montreal - $4.2 deadline cap space
Pitt - $1.5 deadline cap space
Minny - $1.3 deadline cap space
Colorado - $1.2 deadline cap space
All these teams have more cap space than Toronto and would require the Preds to retain less or would require less going back to the Preds in terms of a cap dump. If the offer requires retention and a dump it will cost the Leafs more than one of the teams with more cap.

The later in the season it gets the less actual cap is required to get it done. Also these are the only teams vying for the playoffs? The likelihood of Nashville being required to retain is very high , especially if a contender is attempting to add multiple pieces, which any may . He won't return a 1st or blue chipper in any case . Friedman speculated a 2nd plus; seems pretty reasonable launch pt .

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
The later in the season it gets the less actual cap is required to get it done. Also these are the only teams vying for the playoffs? The likelihood of Nashville being required to retain is very high , especially if a contender is attempting to add multiple pieces, which any may . He won't return a 1st or blue chipper in any case . Friedman speculated a 2nd plus; seems pretty reasonable launch pt .
That is the deadline cap space so the it takes into account the later in the season amount. No these aren't the only teams via for the playoffs, but it is 8 examples of teams in playoff positions that have more cap available than the Leafs. I don't disagree that the Preds might have to retain, but for the Avs, it would be less than the Leafs, for the Bruins its less than the Leafs and they might not need to send a dump back. All these things impact the trade value. To assume the Leafs will get a player like Granlund over every other team for a very late 2nd + with retention and a dump seems unlikely. I could see a 2nd and a decent prospect, but other teams in better financial situations will be considering Granlund as well.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
2nd + Engvall for Granlund @ 50%?

Maybe there's another forward more enticing the Leafs can offer? Or the other way - is Engvall worth more to Leafs fans?

Last edited:

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Too much smoke to not be a fire IMHO. The Granlund rumours just won't go away.

NHL Rumor Mill – March 3, 2021 | Spectors Hockey

"TSN: Darren Dreger reports the Toronto Maple Leafs still want to bolster their forward lines before the April 12 trade deadline. Some speculation linked the Leafs to Nashville Predators forward Mikael Granlund. Dreger thinks there could be a fit if the Predators agree to retain some of Granlund’s salary. The Leafs have the prospects and draft picks to make something happen.
SPECTOR’S NOTE: Cap Friendly shows the Leafs with just over $130K of trade-deadline cap space. Granlund has over $2.1 million remaining of his $3.75 million salary for this season. No chance of a deal there unless the Preds absorb a considerable chunk of his salary or take back a contract of equal or greater value."

It seems like the leafs will have to give up a little more than other teams would pay to make this work.

How do you think this deal might happen? TOR needs to slightly overpay?
Why would Nashville do this considering if there are other teams interested in Granlund and they don't have to retain any salary or take a bad contract back to make it work. Why would Nashville help out Toronto?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
If it happens, march 13 seems like a good day. They have finished playing the 2nd best team in the division, with only a hand full of games over the 14 day quarantine period against the Sens and Flames. I would guess Dermott would go back the other way, which I'm not overly thrilled about. And I don't see any way Nashville does this for bottom line players (Vesey/Petan/Barabanov) plus picks, but if they would that would be a HUGE win for the Leafs.
I don't think Vesey would be welcomed here very easily...

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Would Kerfoot be going the other way? This would eliminate 3.5m of cap space by Toronto for future usage in other years. Trading Kerfoot + pick for a pending UFA makes sense.
I can't see our team taking on any future money like Kerfoot. Worst case, we retain or take back an expiring contract. But in the current financial environment, it can't add up to more than what we'd just be paying Granlund if we didn't trade him at all. The money matters this year.

A 2nd and 3rd rounder is probably fair... but the real money could still complicate things. I don't think our team would pay an extra million dollars just to get that extra 3rd round pick, so a team that comes along not needing to dump a player back or request retention could beat that offer with just a 2nd rounder, for example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad