Dreger: Some speculation linked the Leafs to Nashville Predators forward Mikael Granlund

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I don't see through my blue-and-white homer glasses where Granlund would improve the Leafs' line-up.

I would think of Thornton-Matthews-Marner, Hyman-Tavares-Nylander and Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Simmonds as a good representation of their top nine forwards, with Boyd-Spezza and a bunch of guys left over (Vesey/Barabanov/Galchenyuk etc.) on the fourth-line bubble.

Granlund would not really fit on the Leafs on the fourth line, as he makes too much and it doesn't play much; and I don't know where he would be a significant improvement on their top nine.

Plus he's on an expiring contract, and I just have a personal preference for an up-and-comer like Engvall than an older rental like Granlund.
I dont have those glasses, but I don't see it either. I see the need for a depth forward, but I feel like there are other options with less cap gymnastics and cost.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't see through my blue-and-white homer glasses where Granlund would improve the Leafs' line-up.

I would think of Thornton-Matthews-Marner, Hyman-Tavares-Nylander and Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Simmonds as a good representation of their top nine forwards, with Boyd-Spezza and a bunch of guys left over (Vesey/Barabanov/Galchenyuk etc.) on the fourth-line bubble.

Granlund would not really fit on the Leafs on the fourth line, as he makes too much and it doesn't play much; and I don't know where he would be a significant improvement on their top nine.

Plus he's on an expiring contract, and I just have a personal preference for an up-and-comer like Engvall than an older rental like Granlund.

Simmonds would likely get bumped down to the 4th line at 5v5 but still get some PP time in this scenario

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Simmonds would likely get bumped down to the 4th line at 5v5 but still get some PP time in this scenario
I had thought there was a lot of fan support for moving Simmonds up the line-up, not down, before his injury.

Hadn't he been moved up to the second line? I don't recall, but he was higher than where he started.

Do you think that Simmonds would be the odd-man out of the top nine in favour of Granlund, if he were acquired without loss of another roster player?

Would Granlund be a significant improvement on Kerfoot, or any other top-nine player that might be knocked off the roster or sent back in a trade? I'm a Leafs' fan more than an NHL fan, and I'm not really all that familiar with Granlund's play. All I have to go by are vague recollections and impressions, which aren't very memorable, and his age and statistics, which aren't all that impressive.

I stand to be educated.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Including the Leafs if they will require retention and a cap dump. But to answer your questions of who - without doing any deeps dives I'll say teams potentially looking at Granlund as a boost to their line-up:
Boston
Florida
Arizona
Carolina
Philly
Columbus
Colorado
Calgary
Montreal
Minnesota
Pittsburg
Los Vegas
Leafs
Jets
Stars
Blackhawks
Capitals
New York Islanders

Sure not all of them will be interested but to think there wouldn't be 4-5 teams on this list that would consider Granlund as a relatively low cost acquisition is naive

BOS
PHI
COL
MON
WPG - They want D

Are probably the only teams I see authorizing additional payroll

The rest aren't really making money or they're losing money, insiders have basically said a lot of ownerships will tell their GM, that is your team. Alternatively, it's gotta be a $ in/out situation.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
BOS
PHI
COL
MON
WPG - They want D

Are probably the only teams I see authorizing additional payroll

The rest aren't really making money or they're losing money, insiders have basically said a lot of ownerships will tell their GM, that is your team. Alternatively, it's gotta be a $ in/out situation.
Which fits into the 4-5 teams post that you seemed to disagree with.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Which fits into the 4-5 teams post that you seemed to disagree with.

Okay let's go through them.

BOS - yes
PHI - No - they have enough forwards
COL - yes
MON - No - they have enough forwards
WPG - Rumored to want defenseman

So...TOR/BOS/COL

If either of BOS/COL could beat TOR's 2nd and Vesey for Granlund at 50% retained, have at it.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Pick + Roster guy is likely. (Likely retention needed)

The praise Keefe has for Engvall makes me think he isnt moving him.

Vesey + pick

I know it's likely not the most attractive; but wonder if that's the likely base were working around currently.

Pass. Vesey would not have a good experience in Nashville.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
OK Toronto fans. Nothing against you but you have two players who spurned Nashville; Vesey and Spezza. I joke, 'Oh you don't want to play here? We'll trade for you!' I, personally, do not want either. I want a 2nd in 2022, and a great prospect for now.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
OK Toronto fans. Nothing against you but you have two players who spurned Nashville; Vesey and Spezza. I joke, 'Oh you don't want to play here? We'll trade for you!' I, personally, do not want either. I want a 2nd in 2022, and a great prospect for now.

What’s your idea of a great prospect?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Spezza spurned Nashville?

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
Okay let's go through them.

BOS - yes
PHI - No - they have enough forwards
COL - yes
MON - No - they have enough forwards
WPG - Rumored to want defenseman

So...TOR/BOS/COL

If either of BOS/COL could beat TOR's 2nd and Vesey for Granlund at 50% retained, have at it.
let boston have him don't need him on the leafs big time pass

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
The only way it is good for Nashville if they have to retain salary is asking for Toronto 1st round pick otherwise it isn't worth it.
buddy give your head a shake, and if dubass does that i will personally drive down the 401 to scotia place and shoot him....

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
1. Engvall isn't getting traded
2. Neither is Kerfoot UNLESS it's for a bigger trade.

Leafs are 100% going to make a trade soon, it very well could be Granlund, but I think Dubas has a shortlist, with 2-3 other guys he's looking at as well.
i sure hope he is looking else where, they couldve had him in the summer just for the cash, now why waist any picks for this stiff...

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
Nashville seems to be done; possibly done for a few years.

If they are smart, they will probably be selling some of the big assets like Forsberg and Arvidsson. If I were the Leafs, I would wait for someone like that, and get some retention, to work on a deal. The window for them is probably next couple of years.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Nashville seems to be done; possibly done for a few years.

If they are smart, they will probably be selling some of the big assets like Forsberg and Arvidsson. If I were the Leafs, I would wait for someone like that, and get some retention, to work on a deal. The window for them is probably next couple of years.

Agreed, I say Preds are out of the playoffs this yr and next.

Reactions: sandybridge

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
Agreed, I say Preds are out of the playoffs this yr and next.

Exactly.

The Leafs are really missing a true top-6 wing. I think Forsberg or Arvidsson would work out very well there. And would make them the prohibitive favorite to come out of the north.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->