Dreger: Some speculation linked the Leafs to Nashville Predators forward Mikael Granlund

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
Too much smoke to not be a fire IMHO. The Granlund rumours just won't go away.

NHL Rumor Mill – March 3, 2021 | Spectors Hockey

"TSN: Darren Dreger reports the Toronto Maple Leafs still want to bolster their forward lines before the April 12 trade deadline. Some speculation linked the Leafs to Nashville Predators forward Mikael Granlund. Dreger thinks there could be a fit if the Predators agree to retain some of Granlund’s salary. The Leafs have the prospects and draft picks to make something happen.
SPECTOR’S NOTE: Cap Friendly shows the Leafs with just over $130K of trade-deadline cap space. Granlund has over $2.1 million remaining of his $3.75 million salary for this season. No chance of a deal there unless the Preds absorb a considerable chunk of his salary or take back a contract of equal or greater value."

It seems like the leafs will have to give up a little more than other teams would pay to make this work.

How do you think this deal might happen? TOR needs to slightly overpay?
please please dubass do the leaf fans a favor and don't make a trade for this player, your better off standing still so don't go and trade your young talent or picks for this player, he has done nothing, please pass or your piss off a lot of loyal fans please don't do it for the sake of making a trade....

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
please please dubass do the leaf fans a favor and don't make a trade for this player, your better off standing still so don't go and trade your young talent or picks for this player, he has done nothing, please pass or your piss off a lot of loyal fans please don't do it for the sake of making a trade....
No matter who the GM is the Toronto GM will always be crucified at the deadline. It's tradition.
"Oh you gave up too much for HIM"
"Why didn't you get THIS type of player"
"He didn't make a move and now how can we compete"
It's happened too many times for Dubas to care about pissing people off lol he's going to piss some people off no matter what he does.

Reactions: banks

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
dreamer dreamer, what's with all the love for this player, what has he ever done, fringe player 3rd 4rth liner leafs have a few of those already no need for another, so he can go on waivers.....

If you say so. He's 2 years removed from being a very impactful player - a perfect compliment for a playoff team that needs both a threat to score and some added depth that's not Galchenyuk (lol). Also, this wouldn't be the first player to go to the Preds and have their offence derailed severely.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Granlund is a good player but if I'm speaking with Nashville I'm targeting ekholm or forsberg. The price may be very steep but you know exactly what you are getting.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
If you say so. He's 2 years removed from being a very impactful player - a perfect compliment for a playoff team that needs both a threat to score and some added depth that's not Galchenyuk (lol). Also, this wouldn't be the first player to go to the Preds and have their offence derailed severely.
Galchenyuk is our extra winger he played a bit before Simmonds came back. If anything Galchenyuk is a 4th line winger and our 4th line has not been an issue all year if anything Spezza has been carrying them to be a really good 4th line. We do not need to acquire a player that will push Galchenyuk off the team, we need someone who is going to make either Matthews/Marner better or Tavares/Nylander better. Does Granlund make them better than Thornton or Kerfoot or Simmonds? Maybe but he isn't the style of player that would likely change how dynamic the line is. For that we need another puck hound that can finish around the net.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Granlund is a good player but if I'm speaking with Nashville I'm targeting ekholm or forsberg. The price may be very steep but you know exactly what you are getting.
Forsberg isn't available without an overpayment. The price for Ekholm is a 1st, elite prospect and a 3rd piece of some kind. I'm not even sure Ekholm is available anymore either if Poile thinks we can manage to hit the playoffs.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Forsberg isn't available without an overpayment. The price for Ekholm is a 1st, elite prospect and a 3rd piece of some kind. I'm not even sure Ekholm is available anymore either if Poile thinks we can manage to hit the playoffs.
Yeah, Ekholm and Forsberg are not available for any price anybody on these boards is going to be willing to listen to.

If the Leafs want a decent top-6 guy like Granlund, go ahead and put in a bid on Granlund. I doubt very much the Leafs can win this bid, but that's the only player they should realistically be looking at from Nashville.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad