Movies: Solo: A Star Wars Story | Part II

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by johnjm22, Sep 22, 2018.

?

How would you rate Solo: A Star Wars Story?

1. A (Excellent)

9.8%
  2. B (Good)

52.5%
  3. C (Average)

23.0%
  4. D (Below Average)

8.2%
  5. F (Terrible)

6.6%
  1. Osprey

Osprey Registered User

I think that Rogue One worked better than Solo in the following ways (among others):

1) All of the characters were new. Because of that, it wasn't bogged down nearly as much by fan service as Solo. It could just tell a good story, rather than try to explain how characters that we already knew got to be as they are. Also, because of that and because it was a one-off film, it could kill any characters off, whereas there was never any uncertainty about the fates of Han, Chewie and Lando.

2) The story fit snugly into movie canon, telling the story of the acquisition of the Death Star plans and ending immediately where Episode IV starts. Solo's story, about criminals working for and against one another out of nothing but greed, wasn't very familiar as "Star Wars" or connected to canon except by a few fan service threads (like the Kessel run). It didn't have the "big picture" of other Star Wars films, and some people may like that about it, but I think that it's a part of why so many weren't drawn into the film.

3) It had a clear villain: the familiar Empire. Solo didn't. Whether with the train or the mining operation, there wasn't any sense of whom they were stealing from and it didn't even seem to matter. We assumed that Dryden would ultimately be the villain, but, while they were on his good side, he wasn't really one and there wasn't much tension or a sense of stakes throughout the film. RO, on the other hand, had a tremendous sense of the stakes.

I believe that it was just a suit of armor, one of the many decorative props in the room. I, too, thought that it was a guard earlier in the scene and wondered why Beckett didn't shoot him, so you weren't the only one.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  2. ArGarBarGar

ArGarBarGar Defense Please

I think that even though the Star Wars movies don't have a lot of depth, Solo had next to none.

Thought it was fine the first go-round. I was terribly bored the second. I think if I continue to keep watching it over time I will really start to dislike it.

3. Jovavic

Jovavic RIP HFPoli board

Movie is on Netflix now

Baby Punisher and Pilky01 like this.
  4. slowslovak

slowslovak Registered User

I honestly don’t think it’s that bad, I just don’t really see Han Solo in that actor. Kinda just pretended like it was some regular outlaw.

5. ProstheticConscience

ProstheticConscience Mikey has a sad.

Just watched it. Hate it. It was okay up until about an hour, then it just barreled downhill after that.

6. CTC

CTC Registered User

I actually thought it was great, hope for more Solo stories with the actor. This probably isn't seen as great because of the TLJ being released so closely. I didn't like the mother of dragons in this though.

7. Pilky01

Pilky01 Registered User

Not hockey
    I didn't really watch it. Put it on in the background.

One line jumped out at me as being horrible and all the hockey fans here probably cringed as well.

"Chewbacca? You're gonna need a nickname"

:rolleyes:

Nobody has ever said "Youre gonna need a nickname". They just immediately slap an "ey" or and "er" to the end of the first syllable and that is your nickname. Its automatic.