Movies: Solo: A Star Wars Story | Part II

How would you rate Solo: A Star Wars Story?

• Total voters

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I laughed my ass off at that stupid rebellious droid's death. Lando was holding his dying sex-bot in his hands while oil was spilling out of it like he was holding a dying girlfriend. Then he tries to move it and it rips in half :laugh: What a weird thing to play for drama in a movie
I howled with laughter when that bitch-bot got severed in half. She got what she deserved.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I think the main problem with the movie is that Han Solo is kind of a boring character in it. Very bland.

People will blame the actor, but I think it's the writing. He's just not written in a very interesting way.
Part of the problem is that Han Solo on his own doesn't work. It worked so well in the original trilogy because the character was played off of the idealist in Luke and the elitist in Leia.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Just finished it and... it kinda sucks.

Bland, by-the-numbers and not very entertaining.

I am one of the rare people that liked TLJ, but this one was just meh. Did not completely hate it, but it is very forgetable.

I get why it bombed.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Would've been better if it was the story of Lando and had less "fanservice" moments explaining a ton of stuff that didn't need explaining about HAn's past (or was already explained better in original expanded universe materials)

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Would've been better if it was the story of Lando and had less "fanservice" moments explaining a ton of stuff that didn't need explaining about HAn's past (or was already explained better in original expanded universe materials)
It seemed more like a story aimed to explaining where he got all of his stuff, rather than any attempt at a deep character examination.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Make no mistakes, it bombed because of TLJ. Not because of how bad it is. That said, it was... okay? I didn't hate it, I didn't love it. I did love Lando and Woody Harrelson's character, too.

The whole backstory on Han's name was so cringey. That's the humour that TLJ used and why it sucked. That goes straight in line with the space cow milk drinking scene. GOOD humour was the reveal of Chewie, which I should have seen coming but for some reason that scene was good enough at drawing me in and not expecting it.

The Maul cameo was super cool and I hope it stays at that. Rebels/TCW wrote most of Maul's story post TPM so they should leave it to that. He shouldn't appear in an Obi Wan movie, I don't think.

Every scene with Lando was great. And I did like the chemistry of the Han actor with Lando. He was better than I thought he would be. Not amazing but it wasn't too much of a "Look at me, I'm young Harrison Ford" act. Him winning the Falcon was great at the end.

I hope they don't do a trilogy. One was enough.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I really hope the next trilogy takes place waaaaay before or waaaay after any Star Wars movie we've seen so far. Its a trend that exists outside of the Star Wars franchise, but the constant throwbacks to nostalgia are ruining the movies. Just tell your story. As a fan, I don't need dinky little callbacks to the OT and it seems like TFA, TLJ, and Solo are tripping over themselves to try and give that to me. They're cheap, they're not earned, and they're usually used as a substitute for plot.

I'll go further into it if people wanna talk about it, but I think it was a huge mistake for this new trilogy to have Luke, Leia, and Han (soon to be Lando) be a part of the films. They should've set it further in the future when the OT main characters have been dead for a long time. IMHO the new films are handcuffed to old characters and have to drag them through the franchise.

There's an almost infinite amount of storytelling possibilities you can pull from Star Wars. Let's see something new.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Make no mistakes, it bombed because of TLJ. Not because of how bad it is. That said, it was... okay? I didn't hate it, I didn't love it. I did love Lando and Woody Harrelson's character, too.

The whole backstory on Han's name was so cringey. That's the humour that TLJ used and why it sucked. That goes straight in line with the space cow milk drinking scene. GOOD humour was the reveal of Chewie, which I should have seen coming but for some reason that scene was good enough at drawing me in and not expecting it.

The Maul cameo was super cool and I hope it stays at that. Rebels/TCW wrote most of Maul's story post TPM so they should leave it to that. He shouldn't appear in an Obi Wan movie, I don't think.

Every scene with Lando was great. And I did like the chemistry of the Han actor with Lando. He was better than I thought he would be. Not amazing but it wasn't too much of a "Look at me, I'm young Harrison Ford" act. Him winning the Falcon was great at the end.

It underachieved in parts because of the reception to TLJ, sure, but to word of mouth could have saved it and it didn't because it is a "meh" movie. Very VERY forgettable. Not unwatachable by any means, but just bland.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They already did it in Rebels.

I was actually thinking of a Vader vs Maul showdown. Maybe Crimson Dawn starts becoming a problem for the Empire and Vader is dispatched to take care of it. Of course to make it work canon wise Maul would have to survive, and I don't know if people would buy him surviving both Obi-Wan and Vader fighting him.

How is Vader going to fight Maul when he was killed like 20+ years before Anakin became Vader? By Anakins mentor nonetheless.

Unless I am missing something from the extended universe.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
How is Vader going to fight Maul when he was killed like 20+ years before Anakin became Vader? By Anakins mentor nonetheless.

Unless I am missing something from the extended universe.

They ran out of ideas for good villains so they just bring them back to life.

Didn't Boba Fett escape the Sarlacc somehow?

Lame.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Except bringing Maul back led to good stories

Definitely. He went from being just a blunt instrument in TPM to a more flushed out character through Clone Wars and Rebels. Plus him being where he is for his cameo in Solo makes sense story wise. Now I want to see how he went from there to where he is in Rebels.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Well then it wouldn't have been called Solo - A Star Wars Story.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

It bombed because of Deadpool 2.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It bombed because of Deadpool 2.

Movies can under-perform because better ones are out at the same time, but I wouldn't say that they "bomb" because of them. If you're interested in a movie, you'll go to see it eventually. A movie takes up only one evening, after all, and you'll need something to go to see the next weekend and the weekend after that. If you never go to see a particular movie, you probably weren't that interested in it in the first place.

In Solo, I see a movie that audiences just weren't interested in going to see. A Star Wars movie (of which there have been only 10 over the last 40 years) ought to trounce yet another superhero movie (of which there have been 40 over the last 10 years), making Deadpool 2 the victim of poor scheduling, but it was the other way around. That suggests to me that Solo would've bombed (and Deadpool 2 would've been a hit), anyways.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
one thing that annoys me is how the movie did not use music like other movies did.

What made Star Wars great was the music--they did not use music to its advantage

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Just finished it and... it kinda sucks.

Bland, by-the-numbers and not very entertaining.

I am one of the rare people that liked TLJ, but this one was just meh. Did not completely hate it, but it is very forgetable.

I get why it bombed.

It bombed because of TLJ. Not on its own merits. I definitely agree that it's a bit meh, but it's not offensive like TLJ was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad