Movies: Solo: A Star Wars Story | Part II

How would you rate Solo: A Star Wars Story?

• Total voters

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Finally saw this the other day.

I like Enfsy Nest and Dryden Vos, but the story wasn't good enough to make me care about the other characters.

The dialog early on was really poor; very on-the-nose like they're trying to spoon feed it to you. It also goes for a cutesy style of humor that mostly falls flat.

Star Wars is supposed to be a fantasy that takes place in a galaxy far far away. The inclusion of an SJW robot ties the film too much to our world.

Aside form Enfsy Nest's theme, the music was very bland.

The movie as a whole was overly sentimental IMO. Han at times is almost portrayed as a tragic character whom we're supposed to feel sorry for, but the movie didn't dig deep enough into his character for it to actually work.

Despite my complaints there's some reasonably entertaining stuff here. I gave it a C.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Rewatched it on DVD and I my response is still the same

1) It was shot too dark
2) A few too many scenes "no idea what to say so lets just film some action scenes and hope it makes sense"
3) Lacked humour that made Ford's Solo so fun

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Are we allowed to talk about the end yet? I'll throw it in a spoiler tag anyway..

Cool that they had Darth Maul, but did they really need to show the two sided sabre? not necessary.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Are we allowed to talk about the end yet? I'll throw it in a spoiler tag anyway..

Cool that they had Darth Maul, but did they really need to show the two sided sabre? not necessary.

Apparently it was to showcase to Qira that he had force powers. And for the audience, obviously.

I think it would have been a bit better if Maul was holding someone hostage. Someone Qira cared about. And then he executed that person -- with the lightsaber -- because Dryden Vos was murdered. Or something to that effect.

Reactions: Voight and TP

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

All it did was make me want to see a movie where Obi Wan has to kill Darth Maul

Reactions: Baby Punisher

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Been there, done that. The Phantom Menace.

Apparently there's a pretty decent storyline in the Star Wars show where older Obi Wan has to protect young Luke from being found by Maul. I think it'd make a pretty good standalone movie. Better than the pointless mediocrity that "Solo: A Star Wars Story" was anyway

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it’s just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Oh, you didn't like those movies? Tell me more. Could use a fresh take like that on Star Wars.
The cast is bad. No decent actors with some charisma such as Harrison Ford, Carrie Fischer, Alec Guiness, and all the other good British actors in Episodes 1-6.

Setting it in the future makes no sense. All the Jedi Masters are dead so you can't train Jedi Knights. There have been many great stories written in the pre-Yoda universe where the force users are more powerful and more interesting.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
I finally watched this last week on a plane. Glad I didn't pay for it in person. Everything about it, except perhaps Donald Glover's Lando, was just plain boring.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He lacks the Charisma and humor that Ford had, but then again he isnt Harrison F'n Ford.

A few quips werent bad like "I've got a good feeling about this..." , Donald Glover was great as Lando and Woody Harrelson is a national treasure.

Overall it wasnt bad and I'm hoping they do 1 or 2 more pre Episode IV movies about Han... hes one of my favorite fictional characters ever and theres plenty of material. The end was a nice twist but I had this gut feeling there was something up with her.

Reactions: irunthepeg

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I laughed my ass off at that stupid rebellious droid's death. Lando was holding his dying sex-bot in his hands while oil was spilling out of it like he was holding a dying girlfriend. Then he tries to move it and it rips in half :laugh: What a weird thing to play for drama in a movie

Reactions: Baby Punisher

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
1) It was shot too dark

A few days ago, I saw some clips from the Blu-ray release and, at first, I wondered if they were taken from a cam version filmed off of a theater screen. They looked just like that: dark, washed out and not sharp. Rogue One went for a similar darker look and still looked pretty good. I wonder if Solo not being a good showpiece for Blu-ray, 4K TVs and the like will affect disc and digital sales.

Last edited:

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I laughed my ass off at that stupid rebellious droid's death. Lando was holding his dying sex-bot in his hands while oil was spilling out of it like he was holding a dying girlfriend. Then he tries to move it and it rips in half :laugh: What a weird thing to play for drama in a movie

That is one ugly sex-bot.

Saw the movie finally. I thought Solo's line during the battle at the beginning says it all for this franchise now.

"Where are we going?'

I don't think anyone knows.

As for the movie, it wasn't bad. It jumped around a lot and didn't really have any point other than for Solo to say at the end of the movie that he made the Kessel run in...and that's how he won the Falcon in a card game. Didn't like the casting. Too many famous people to really immerse oneself in the experience. Kept thing of GOT, Avengers and Woody H.

It was certainly better than the others that shall not be named. Pretty sure that it took a lot for Ron Howard to make this even half respectable.

Reactions: Voight

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
All it did was make me want to see a movie where Obi Wan has to kill Darth Maul

They already did it in Rebels.

I was actually thinking of a Vader vs Maul showdown. Maybe Crimson Dawn starts becoming a problem for the Empire and Vader is dispatched to take care of it. Of course to make it work canon wise Maul would have to survive, and I don't know if people would buy him surviving both Obi-Wan and Vader fighting him.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I think the main problem with the movie is that Han Solo is kind of a boring character in it. Very bland.

People will blame the actor, but I think it's the writing. He's just not written in a very interesting way.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it’s just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
I'm about to start a story where a novice Darth Vader has to try to kill a Jedi Master more powerful than Obi-wan. Should be good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad