Soccer Prospect Discussion Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The real question is...is Dembele better than Messi at the same age?
If you're being sarcastic, I don't see the point. I never made the comparison, nor should it be made. Dembele could be a great player without being talked about as the GOAT.

If you're being serious, there's a huge step still between 18 yo Dembele and 18 yo Messi.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Dembele has better stats than Messi at the same age, but they weren't playing in the same league.

This is more or less what I was alluding to. I wasn't being sarcastic or making fun of Evilo. It's always hard to compare across generations (it's been a decade) and different leagues, but Dembele is certainly staking a claim as the best 18 year old on the planet, and people are always interested to see who is going to be that 'next big thing'.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The eye test is there. Messi was already better than Dembele when he was 16.
Not to take anything away from Dembele because he's a superb youngster. But surely not a new Messi.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
The eye test is there. Messi was already better than Dembele when he was 16.
Not to take anything away from Dembele because he's a superb youngster. But surely not a new Messi.

Yeah, I assumed he was making fun of you. Dembele is a very good player already but Messi comparisons get thrown around too readily.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I wasn't comparing him to Messi (I was asking), but I only see highlights of Dembele. It's more that everyone is always looking for that next big thing so whenever a really young player is stepping up and really putting on a show those kind of comparisons are inevitable.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Let's say he has arguably more impact at his age than any player in Ligue 1 history. That's already quite a feat.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Tough to say. He has more impact, no question. Hazard was a wizard but he really had major impact a year later at 19.
Hazard won best prospect at 18, won it again at 19 and was finalist for MVP.
Dembele should win prospect of the year this year and if he had played the whole season, would probably be finalist for MVP.

I'd say he's achieving what Hazard achieved, only a year younger.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Cheers. Safe to say Dembele is a good bet for the Golden Boy this year, Dele Alli is the only real competition I can think of (I am, of course, inviting people to mention names to prove me wrong).

Curiously enough, just discovered that Hazard never won the Golden Boy award? I refuse to accept that.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
He reminds me of C. Ronaldo. The only negative critique I'd have is that sometimes he holds onto the ball too long, which is just like Ronaldo. Given his physical traits it's surprising he has such good technique, usually players as fast as him are a little one footed. Not him though.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He can't say if he's right or left footed actually :laugh:
I've rarely seen perfectly ambidextrous players.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Ronaldo, Zidane, Iniesta, Nedved, Pirlo, Villa, Gerrard, Maldini, Forlan...
Off the top of my head and even then, they do favor one foot over the other (except Forlan).

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Brehme too, took World Cup penalties with both feet. That sounds crazy to me especially now. I don't think anyone would or could do something like that.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I wasn't comparing him to Messi (I was asking), but I only see highlights of Dembele. It's more that everyone is always looking for that next big thing so whenever a really young player is stepping up and really putting on a show those kind of comparisons are inevitable.

Calling someone the next Messi just seems a catch-all way of saying x player is a great prospect.

Ödegaard to me is still the young player with the highest potential of those I've watched.

He reminds me of C. Ronaldo. The only negative critique I'd have is that sometimes he holds onto the ball too long, which is just like Ronaldo. Given his physical traits it's surprising he has such good technique, usually players as fast as him are a little one footed. Not him though.

I don't know if it's just the league where he plays but he seems to be a lot more efficient and effective with his dribbles that Cristiano, even if he has similar shooting/finishing and physical ability. I don't think either a younger nor an older Cristiano was as good at beating opponents in the center of the field with just his first touch or two. He's an exciting player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Cheers. Safe to say Dembele is a good bet for the Golden Boy this year, Dele Alli is the only real competition I can think of (I am, of course, inviting people to mention names to prove me wrong).

Curiously enough, just discovered that Hazard never won the Golden Boy award? I refuse to accept that.

Coman, Tah, Donnarumma, Sanches, Dahoud

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I have a tough time deciding whether Dahoud or Tah has been the most impressive BuLi youngster this year. Dahoud is so elegant that I think he should start for our NT next to Ilkay this summer; but Tah has been a beast for Leverkusen. When he's more experienced, Boateng and Hummels will have a tough time staying in our starting lineup...assuming we still play with a back 4 & not a back 3.

Dembele's incredible goal-record should guarantee him the top young player award, but I'd put one of these two second this year; with Alli/Kimmich/Weigl after that.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I have a tough time deciding whether Dahoud or Tah has been the most impressive BuLi youngster this year. Dahoud is so elegant that I think he should start for our NT next to Ilkay this summer; but Tah has been a beast for Leverkusen. When he's more experienced, Boateng and Hummels will have a tough time staying in our starting lineup...assuming we still play with a back 4 & not a back 3.

Dembele's incredible goal-record should guarantee him the top young player award, but I'd put one of these two second this year; with Alli/Kimmich/Weigl after that.

I think Weigl has had the strongest campaign of any eligible Bundesliga player from start to finish, but for some inexplicable reason he wasn't nominated. Kimmich imo is the most talented of those Bundesliga players but he also wasn't nominated this year (lack of playing time at Bayern and wasn't in the first tier before that), and won't be eligible for 2016.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think Weigl has had the strongest campaign of any eligible Bundesliga player from start to finish, but for some inexplicable reason he wasn't nominated. Kimmich imo is the most talented of those Bundesliga players but he also wasn't nominated this year (lack of playing time at Bayern and wasn't in the first tier before that), and won't be eligible for 2016.

Weigl's been excellent, but he hasn't been Dahoud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad