Soccer Prospect Discussion Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Where do you guys watch all of the youth games?

For Liverpool it's really easy because LiverpoolTV posts all of the footage, highlights and full matches on LFCTV Go (on top of all the senior stuff, training, interviews, etc.) For someone like me it's more than worth the £7 a month.

With the Dutch youth it's a bit tougher, but Ajax also offers a TV service and highlights for their youth (which means you can get a good look at other youth teams as well) while that group I'm a part of regularly posts footage from games they've visited as well as anecdote. Then for most youth internationals there are various streams available though a bit tougher to find. You can also find a lot of recorded video if you dig enough (like above) because with a lot of youth stuff the copyrights are not cracked down on nearly as much (if there are any at all).

Plus, if you follow a lot of leagues below the top 5 the real cream of the crop youngsters tend to make full debuts earlier than in the big 5 (although I think L1 also has quite a large youth crop).

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Where do you guys watch all of the youth games?

The dfb and some german clubs actually link or archive a good chunk of their youth teams' matches...or at least they used to (though i'm pretty sure fohlen.tv still does). This year I've mostly been watching crappy internet streams, trying to go to as many matches/tournaments as I can when I've been in Germany, and relying on my friends back home to keep me in the loop/send me game tapes...at least when they know that they're allowed to distribute them outside of the club; cause one of my friends almost got herself fired for sending me copies of games without their permission.

Additionally; BigSoccer has a good thread about german youths, for reading up on the kids general results. Some of the regulars who are still there have blatant biases, and a couple have really out-dated football-philosophies; but that thread used to be gold and some of the current regulars do a good job of tracking our kids...even if they are often overly optimistic on lesser-talents. It's a shame that most of the best posters from that thread either started his own website and became utterly unbearable to discuss anything with, even for those of us he agreed with on football-philosophy or whom he liked; or they stopped having time to post because they got jobs within the german youth development network.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Marked as assist.

In other news, Mbappé has signed his first pro contract with Monaco, rejecting offers from PSG, Arsenal, Real and Bayern.

EDIT : You're right, it is now given as a goal. So Dembele had a hattrick before the half.

Last edited:

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
The other is Anderlecht vs Chelsea or Ajax. Five top quality teams left.

Anderlecht aren't very good this year, they lost to Dinamo Zagreb but that result was overturned because Dinamo fielded an eligible player. They should have lost against Barça but the many, many chances were missed and Anderlecht made the most of out of the few opportunities they got.
It's a hard working team but they're not on the talent level they were last year when they also reached the final four. Chelsea or Ajax should easily handle them.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The thing is with kids that young is that their performances can be really erratic. I would think the final would be PSG vs. Ajax this year but either could still have a throwaway performance.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
England U-16 Captain Ryan Sessegnon is one to watch.

At Fulham Currently
Has Won MVP at Multiple Int. Youth Tournaments(U-16 Premier League) with Fulham's U-16's
Considered Best Left Sided Youth prospect since Gareth Bale.

Arsenal, And Manu Had offers rebuffed this past window.

Second Best player on Fulham's Elite U-16's is his Twin brother Steven Who was voted Best Defender in the U-16 Premier league

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Fulham, how's De La Torre doing at Fulham? Any chance he debuts soon with the first team? He's been getting a lot of playing time with the U-21's. Is he impressing?

Juni

Mar 24, 2004
London, England
www.thechels.net
England U-16 Captain Ryan Sessegnon is one to watch.

At Fulham Currently
Has Won MVP at Multiple Int. Youth Tournaments(U-16 Premier League) with Fulham's U-16's
Considered Best Left Sided Youth prospect since Gareth Bale.

Arsenal, And Manu Had offers rebuffed this past window.

Second Best player on Fulham's Elite U-16's is his Twin brother Steven Who was voted Best Defender in the U-16 Premier league

Massive fan of Ryan. I know he's only a club U15 atm (international U16 due to the difference in the ways they separate DoBs) but Matt O'Riley is up there with him too.

Juni

Mar 24, 2004
London, England
www.thechels.net
Anderlecht aren't very good this year, they lost to Dinamo Zagreb but that result was overturned because Dinamo fielded an eligible player. They should have lost against Barça but the many, many chances were missed and Anderlecht made the most of out of the few opportunities they got.
It's a hard working team but they're not on the talent level they were last year when they also reached the final four. Chelsea or Ajax should easily handle them.

Interesting, thanks. Always hard for Anderlecht, found it incredible they were able to reach last season's Semi Finals with a generation that had already seen Musonda, Azzaoui and Bossaerts stolen from them and Tielemans also eligible but having graduated to the first team.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Matt Olosunde joins Manchester United. He just turned 18 today and joins from New York Red Bulls. He's a big right-back who has loads of pace going forward and is a good defender. He doesn't have much skill on the ball, but the pace+defense combo makes him a good player. He's also capable of playing center-back.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Who would you compare Ousmane Dembele to? Seems to be putting on quite the show at 18.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It's tough, I don't remember a striker playing this well in L1 this young (admitting Hazard isn't a stiker here).

He's a guy that can dribble with ease. He seems to glide past defensemen. He's perfectly ambidextrous so defensemen can never cheat on one side.
Anelka could be a comparison, but he's miles better than Anelka was at 18 (though Anelka was a seriously good stiker with Arsenal at that age). Where they could compare is that ability to always make the good control beating the defenseman on that first touch.

Call me crazy, but he could step in with the NT and not look out of place RIGHT NOW.

I guess the best comparison is Neymar in that he's already so good so young and can be a threat anywhere on the forward front. He's less flashy in his dribbles than Neymar, he's more Hazard like in his dribbles (efficient short dribbles).

Over the last 10 years on these boards, I have talked about three comparable players in terms of potential : Hazard, Ben Arfa and M'Vila.
M'Vila crashed his career because of non-football problems, Ben Arfa so far doesn't have the smartness of a champion (but more talent than most of the best players in the world) and Hazard, save for this year, has developped into one of the best offensive players on the planet.
IF (big if) Dembele has the mindset of a champion (too early to say, I have heard some conflicting reports on his intelligence from Rennes officials I know), then the sky is the limit.
Unfortunately, you can judge the football skills of any player, but until we know what they have between the ears....
Look at the Menez/Nasri/Benzema/Ben Arfa generation. Should have dominated the world if the skills were the only factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad