Soccer/Football Thread Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Glad Canada is no longer a pushover in CONCACAF. Both teams missing some key pieces, but Canada is really missing the quality of Davies and David in this tournament.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I have paid less attention to the Gold Cup than @Striiker but um... Qatar is in the Semifinals... wut?
As hosts of the next World Cup, they were actually supposed to participate in Copa America, too, but had to withdraw due to scheduling complications from Covid.

CONCACAF is a shit federation. It's Mexico on its own tier, the US alone in the next tier, and a number of teams that cycle through the next 4-6 best teams in the region.

Canada is arguably #3 right now (FIFA ranking is 70) and hasn't made a World Cup since its only appearance in 1986.

Long story short, it's not overly surprising that an invitee like Qatar could win a Gold Cup group and a knockout stage game.

Where it might get embarrassing is if they beat the US in the semis, assuming the US beats Jamaica.

Edit: FIFA rankings are pretty sketchy, but Qatar was the highest ranked team in their group (which they won) and is ranked higher than El Salvador, which was their QF opponent.

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Sander Berge taking the piss... going to dominate in the Championship if he is not moved.

Good shirt purchase.
20210601_134845.jpg

Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Celtic continues its fall from European relevancy.

They were knocked out of the Champions League by FC Midtjylland, which just happens to be under Seattle Sockeyes ownership in the Quackverse, so it was kind of a win-win situation for me. :laugh:

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
First Spurs make a huge shit show of the search for a new manager and now this.

Based off of what we know about everything, I dont necessarily blame Kane in most of this. He definitely plays a part in the lack of silverware given his lack of production, but between firing Mourinho right before a cup final, replacing him with Ryan Mason, the gentlemans agreement he had with Levy, and sticking with the team without raising a stink when we missed champions league, I'm relatively OK with him requesting a transfer this summer.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Based off of what we know about everything, I dont necessarily blame Kane in most of this. He definitely plays a part in the lack of silverware given his lack of production, but between firing Mourinho right before a cup final, replacing him with Ryan Mason, the gentlemans agreement he had with Levy, and sticking with the team without raising a stink when we missed champions league, I'm relatively OK with him requesting a transfer this summer.

Yeah, I mean obviously we don’t know everything that’s been said between Kane and the club but at this point it seems like he has plenty of justification for wanting out. I would much prefer he went to United rather than City though.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
There's going to be an insane amount of cash flying around the EPL this summer.

Its no wonder that Liga powerhouses and Juventus are still pushing through with Super League when they're letting star players walk for free because they're so broke.

Reactions: BigToe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad