Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Deserved to lose.

Southgate will waste this generation.

Hell... he got Middlesborough relegated when they had a big budget and club have never recovered.

English press already making pathetic excuses and saying losing is achievement.

Looking forward to Grealish and Sancho getting Matt Le Tissier treatment for playing too pretty a football.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Out of curiosity, what were England’s odds going into the tournament?

I’m sure they will all scapegoat the manager, but did they beat expectations getting to penalties in the final?

Who was favored in the match? Italy or England?

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
giphy.gif

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
@Appleyard even though you're a dirty citeh fan and even worse an England fan, I do sympathise with you, because you are a good person and I like you.

Southgate just took the most promising attacking team in world football and effectively muted all of your talent. Much like Warren Gatland with Wales. I've been there.

never would have happened if TAA had been healthy lol

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Out of curiosity, what were England’s odds going into the tournament?

I’m sure they will all scapegoat the manager, but did they beat expectations getting to penalties in the final?

Who was favored in the match? Italy or England?
They were definitely one of the favorites. I think France, Italy, and England were the biggest favorites before the tournament.

There's no shame in losing in a final against Italy. But it's England. It's either "Football's coming home" or the sky is falling. No in-between.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
@Appleyard even though you're a dirty citeh fan and even worse an England fan, I do sympathise with you, because you are a good person and I like you.

Southgate just took the most promising attacking team in world football and effectively muted all of your talent. Much like Warren Gatland with Wales. I've been there.

Aha. Thanks!

Yeh... massive waste of so much talent. And he will get praise. Saw in last 2 games and first half what team can be even when just have a normal press even with defensive formation.

My cousins are Welsh and spent every summer in childhood in North Wales so have a softspot for you guys aha. And also understand the dislike of English as result... if I were born like 50 miles South west I would too ahaha

Reactions: BritainStix

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
I know hindsight is 20/20 but clearly those late subs to have them shoot didn’t work out. Let alone the 60 min Hakshell.

I can’t understand letting all that fire power sit on the bench. Grealish (sp) always had such an impact in limited minutes

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I know hindsight is 20/20 but clearly those late subs to have them shoot didn’t work out. Let alone the 60 min Hakshell.
Yeah, that was a big mistake. Why would you sub in two players who barely played in the tournament and have them shoot two of the most important penalties? And then let a 19 year old shoot the last penalty... Just stupid.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

I can’t understand letting all that fire power sit on the bench. Grealish (sp) always had such an impact in limited minutes

Grealish is England’s most creative player imo. Southgate not using him more makes no sense to me.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Deserved to lose.

Hell... he got Middlesborough relegated when they had a big budget and club have never recovered.

Looking forward to Grealish and Sancho getting Matt Le Tissier treatment for playing too pretty a football.

Not putting on Sancho and Rashford till there was one minute left, and playing for penalties for the last hour was ridiculous. If he had a clue he would have tried to win it in normal time to extra time.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009

I thought Sancho should have been subbed for Saka earlier.

Reactions: PDX Flyer

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Deserved to lose.

Whilst i don't like Southgate's football, it's effective. We've lost one game in two tournaments* and that was in extra time when we had 10 men.

* Belgium in 2018 doesn't count because we played the reserves

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Fortunately, this seems like an incredibly small minority. Morons.
Is this a joke? The n word is trending at #4 in the uk. Each player is getting thousands of abusive messages. This isn't a small minority. This is a huge problem in this country that people are pretending barely exists, yet the UK has the audacity to look down upon ex russian states for the same behaviour.

The fans boo the opposition anthems.
They boo players taking a knee before the game.
Marcus Rashfords Mural was defaced
There are thousands of abuse messages across all social media platforms.

Its time to name, shame and make these scumbags lose their jobs. For the job dodging inbreds that do this, remove their council houses and benefits.

They are a stain on society. It's about time this government actually tackled the problem of these cretins.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Is this a joke? The n word is trending at #4 in the uk. Each player is getting thousands of abusive messages. This isn't a small minority. This is a huge problem in this country that people are pretending barely exists, yet the UK has the audacity to look down upon ex russian states for the same behaviour.

The fans boo the opposition anthems.
They boo players taking a knee before the game.
Marcus Rashfords Mural was defaced
There are thousands of abuse messages across all social media platforms.

Its time to name, shame and make these scumbags lose their jobs. For the job dodging inbreds that do this, remove their council houses and benefits.

They are a stain on society. It's about time this government actually tackled the problem of these cretins.

Don't get me wrong, there's no denying this country of ours has a growing problem with right-wing politics and outright xenophobia and racism. Brexit is the the shambling proof in the pudding of this but the Tories won't do anything about it except empty, meaningless platitudes. Not every Tory is a racist but every racist is a Tory and they're not going to bludgeon their own voter base. It's pissing in the wind to think this is a problem our government is going to genuinely try and defeat i'm afraid.

The reaction to last night's game isn't great by any means, but the n word isn't trending in the top 30 when i just looked. Fans booing the anthem happens all across Europe by every nation including the Welsh (youtube.com/watch?v=tmHLh9sHA4M) and isn't really a jingoistic problem, mostly it's creation of a hostile atmosphere, us against them tribalism. Booing the knee is hard to deny though and nobody can justify that, no matter how much everyone's uncle has tried to. Ultimately, the outcry and reaction to this is warming to see, it shows how much of a minority this problem has. It further creates the divide though, for every outed racist who loses his job, Matt Jones from Manchester hardens his opinions about cancel culture and his country going to the dogs. Post-Brexit we've never been more divided, and David Cameron can burn for that.

I don't get at all why you bring social levels and benefit seekers into it though, that's an incredibly ignorant comment. Racism is not a working class issue alone, there are just as many country club, BMW, summer house-in-the-Cotswolds middle-aged dads who are racist as there are working-class single mums. And that's the problem, it isn't one social class, it isn't one income group, it isn't one country or continent. As living standards and socio-economic situations degrade, extremism rises across the world. Look at Trump, Bolsonaro, Farage, Le Pen, Orban, Modi and Duterte. This is a worldwide problem.

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Whilst i don't like Southgate's football, it's effective. We've lost one game in two tournaments* and that was in extra time when we had 10 men.

* Belgium in 2018 doesn't count because we played the reserves

It was pretty easy to see that once they dropped the high press (which they did after 30 minutes) Italy could expose the CM gap and rip them apart. I said this before it even happened. Multiple times. Lucky to get to extra time. It is not rocket science but like level 2 coaching badges stuff... I said basically the same when they beat Germany. That if play like that vs Italy will be very hard to win.

They are a good team. But heck. On paper they are a top 3 team in the world and have maybe the best attacking talent on earth yet cant score more than 2 goals a game unless other team shit the bed.

Looked so much better in first half and vs Ukraine and Denmark when employed the higher press, had a false 9 dropping into gaps and a WB cutting into middle to support Mount.

But Southgate reverted to form and tried to win "his way" when had looked so much better going to higher press and committing more men centrally.

They had Italy on ropes. And while Mancini is a fantastic tactician (and 2x the manager Southgate is) could have easily nipped another if had not sat deeper and let Chiellini and Bonucci have an easy time.

And playing for penalties when Italy have the best goalie on earth on spot-kicks...

Reactions: trostol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad