Soccer/Football Thread Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Don't get me wrong, there's no denying this country of ours has a growing problem with right-wing politics and outright xenophobia and racism. Brexit is the the shambling proof in the pudding of this but the Tories won't do anything about it except empty, meaningless platitudes. Not every Tory is a racist but every racist is a Tory and they're not going to bludgeon their own voter base. It's pissing in the wind to think this is a problem our government is going to genuinely try and defeat i'm afraid.

The reaction to last night's game isn't great by any means, but the n word isn't trending in the top 30 when i just looked. Fans booing the anthem happens all across Europe by every nation including the Welsh (youtube.com/watch?v=tmHLh9sHA4M) and isn't really a jingoistic problem, mostly it's creation of a hostile atmosphere, us against them tribalism. Booing the knee is hard to deny though and nobody can justify that, no matter how much everyone's uncle has tried to. Ultimately, the outcry and reaction to this is warming to see, it shows how much of a minority this problem has. It further creates the divide though, for every outed racist who loses his job, Matt Jones from Manchester hardens his opinions about cancel culture and his country going to the dogs. Post-Brexit we've never been more divided, and David Cameron can burn for that.

I don't get at all why you bring social levels and benefit seekers into it though, that's an incredibly ignorant comment. Racism is not a working class issue alone, there are just as many country club, BMW, summer house-in-the-Cotswolds middle-aged dads who are racist as there are working-class single mums. And that's the problem, it isn't one social class, it isn't one income group, it isn't one country or continent. As living standards and socio-economic situations degrade, extremism rises across the world. Look at Trump, Bolsonaro, Farage, Le Pen, Orban, Modi and Duterte. This is a worldwide problem.

Very well said on the last paragraph. Though @BritainStix makes some very valid points too! And 100% get his anger. Because I am too.

And from a statistical perspective the estimate is probably like 15% of the UK hold "racist" ideologies really. Like 80%-90% of people from BAME backgrounds think the country has a problem and have seen it myself with friends abused in street... and it for sure has been growing. Especially under this government.

And coming from a multi-cultural working class area and then my parents moving to a more well to do area just outside city...

far less racist attitudes in the cities really. Harder to be racist when grow up from age 4 with Jamaicans, Bajans, Nigerians, Indians and Pakistanis making up 50% of your school and naturally develop friendships with people of all races and religions.

Like... my Facebook I have basically everyone from my year at high-school on. During the last 2 years it actually shocked me how many white, working class kids who left school at 16 supported BLM etc. And maybe 1-2 in 300 (who I deleted) vocal against. And they were awful pricks at school anyway who had serious insecurity issues.

I also only know like 2 people my age who voted Brexit growing up in North Manchester and Oldham.

Ofc, problems everywhere. But I think bigger issues with upper-lower and lower-middle class in small/medium size, homogenous, towns from a sociological perspective.

But yeh... rising issue as wealth gaps grow and parties use the Goebbels technique of the big lie... tell people they have an enemy, it is the enemies fault, and make them scared for jobs, lives, culture etc.

Last edited:

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
I'm not a tory. For the record I hate all political parties. I also come from a dirt poor area.

"Not every Tory is a racist but every racist is a Tory and they're not going to bludgeon their own voter base"

Absolutely clueless statement. Denial at it's absolute finest. I'm not going to continue any further politics to this thread because quite frankly I don't give a shit, its against the rules and I dont want to bore anyone else with it. But my god, if you think like that, all hope is lost. Aren't you a northerner?

As a side note, the Welsh booing the English anthem was a reaction to the English doing it at Wembley in the first fixture, in which they actually drowned out the sound from the speakers. Still totally wrong and narrow minded, and curious that it has only ever happened in football.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Might not have won on the pitch... but this team is really winning off it in pretty disgusting circumstances at times over last 24 hours. A lot of England teams have been good but some very unlikeable people.

This one? I think a big part of why have been so good is that are an actual team and for most part good people with integrity and a level of selflessness.

https://twitter.com/masonmount_10/status/1414674482053238788

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I'm not a tory. For the record I hate all political parties. I also come from a dirt poor area.

"Not every Tory is a racist but every racist is a Tory and they're not going to bludgeon their own voter base"

Absolutely clueless statement. Denial at it's absolute finest. I'm not going to continue any further politics to this thread because quite frankly I don't give a shit, its against the rules and I dont want to bore anyone else with it. But my god, if you think like that, all hope is lost. Aren't you a northerner?

As a side note, the Welsh booing the English anthem was a reaction to the English doing it at Wembley in the first fixture, in which they actually drowned out the sound from the speakers. Still totally wrong and narrow minded, and curious that it has only ever happened in football.

Your response makes me think you haven’t understood what I was saying there.

To rephrase it, this current government aren’t going to do anything about racism in this country whilst their voter base is made up so heavily of the people they’d be taking on. If you want a government to tackle this, vote red.

Reactions: Appleyard

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
All the assholes who spew racist bullshit are nothing more than spineless cowards. God knows we have too much of it in this world.
But some want to pretend it’s not a problem and that is what boggles my mind. Just brushing it aside and pretend it isn’t a problem really ticks me off.

Reactions: trostol

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
All the assholes who spew racist bullshit are nothing more than spineless cowards. God knows we have too much of it in this world.

And that’s obviously shown by the (generally) anonymous delivery of the message. Cowards who wouldn’t say it face to face.

Saying that, there was one clown last night who posted something under his own name and picture and his life has fallen apart today. Shame.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Might not have won on the pitch... but this team is really winning off it in pretty disgusting circumstances at times over last 24 hours. A lot of England teams have been good but some very unlikeable people.

This one? I think a big part of why have been so good is that are an actual team and for most part good people with integrity and a level of selflessness.

https://twitter.com/masonmount_10/status/1414674482053238788

I love that for the first time in my lifetime this is an England Team, and not a collection of stars and individuals. Southgate is a poor tactical manager but he's done something no manager has done in 50 years for you. He's formed a very tight knit team.

Reactions: Appleyard

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I love that for the first time in my lifetime this is an England Team, and not a collection of stars and individuals. Southgate is a poor tactical manager but he's done something no manager has done in 50 years for you. He's formed a very tight knit team.

That's very true. I don't think he's much of a footballing mastermind, he's just a really good bloke and there's definitely a place for that in international management. There's so little off the off-field bullshit with the media that we've seen in the past.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
That's very true. I don't think he's much of a footballing mastermind, he's just a really good bloke and there's definitely a place for that in international management. There's so little off the off-field bullshit with the media that we've seen in the past.
I'm guessing one big factor is that now you have players on the team from all kinds of different clubs. No factions and less animosity. Lampard, Gerrard and Ferdinand, for example, basically admitted that they had a club first mentality and barely talked to the players from rival clubs.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Zonal Marking podcast doing a good job of explaining where England went wrong. It started long before penalties.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
If Haaland goes to Chelsea Its going to be game over. That team will be unstoppable. Think about how many chances they created without scoring due to that German dude.

They have the two best holding midfielders in the same team! Let Haaland loose and they will be able to play an attacking style with high pressure unlike ever seen before .

Ps Double Mountain has started brewing their old school recipes that they “retired “

Vaporizor is so good

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
If Haaland goes to Chelsea Its going to be game over. That team will be unstoppable. Think about how many chances they created without scoring due to that German dude.

They have the two best holding midfielders in the same team! Let Haaland loose and they will be able to play an attacking style with high pressure unlike ever seen before .

Ps Double Mountain has started brewing their old school recipes that they “retired “

Vaporizor is so good

If?

tenor-3.gif

Reactions: PDX Flyer

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Your a Chelsea fan right? I think I told you already but I puked in stands at the Bridge

edit: and you ever had Double Mountain? Top notch brewery out of Hood River

Yes to both Chelsea and the puke story. Don't disrespect such a beautiful spot ever again.

Not sure I've had double mountain. My brother law brought back some weird stuff this weekend when he flew back in:

20210715_191524.jpg

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I've been inspired to start watching soccer more. Guess I'll start with this USMNT game?

Anything I should know? Guys to keep an eye on?

Reactions: BigToe

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I've been inspired to start watching soccer more. Guess I'll start with this USMNT game?

Anything I should know? Guys to keep an eye on?
I haven’t paid any attention the Gold Cup squad but I don’t think it includes much of the actual Starting XI. Someone else can come along and correct me though.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
I haven’t paid any attention the Gold Cup squad but I don’t think it includes much of the actual Starting XI. Someone else can come along and correct me though.

Yeah, I was wondering about that. I didn't see the few names I'm actually familiar with.

Dike and Hoppe are both pushing for the starting striiker position, as no one has locked it down yet.

Matt Turner is pushing for the #2 goalkeeper spot and a move out of MLS.

James Sands, Miles Robinson, Eyrk Williamson, and Gianluca Busio are all young players, but I know nothing about them.

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Dike and Hoppe are both pushing for the starting striiker position, as no one has locked it down yet.

Matt Turner is pushing for the #2 goalkeeper spot and a move out of MLS.

James Sands, Miles Robinson, Eyrk Williamson, and Gianluca Busio are all young players, but I know nothing about them.
You little rascal. :laugh:

And thanks for the info. :thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad