Soccer/Football - Jul 21st-Aug 7th

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Final kick finally had the right idea, just run up and kick it and put it in the net.

Civetty

Jan 2, 2017
I can't even be mad, if you miss 4/6 penalties you don't deserve to win. You should score 75% of them atleast.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Can I be kinda happy for the Canadian women winning and yet feel pissed off at the result at the same time? It feels so undeserved.

Quarter finals - win on penalties
Semis - win on penalties
Finals - win on penalties

They scored like 4 total goals in all their games and how many of those weren't from penalty kicks? I guess their defense looked good, but damn it kinda sucks that Sweden lost when they looked so much better. And those penalty kicks holy smokes it was like nobody wanted to win the gold or something.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Civetty

Jan 2, 2017
Tell that to the England men's team!

Eh, from my experience though is that penalty shootouts usually end up 5-4, 4-3 or 5-3 in the ordinary rounds. If going further it's almost always coz of 5-5 or 4-4. They were 2-2 after ordinary, I wonder if this was the worst penalty shootout in a bigger tournament in history.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Can I be kinda happy for the Canadian women winning and yet feel pissed off at the result at the same time? It feels so undeserved.

Semis - win on penalties

They scored like 4 total goals in all their games and how many of those weren't from penalty kicks? I guess their defense looked good, but damn it kinda sucks that Sweden lost when they looked so much better. And those penalty kicks holy smokes it was like nobody wanted to win the gold or something.

We’ve deserved better before and were denied.

Reactions: discostu

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto

Semis - win on penalties

Yeah it wasn't pretty but we'll take it 100 times out of 10 lol

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Eh, from my experience though is that penalty shootouts usually end up 5-4, 4-3 or 5-3 in the ordinary rounds. If going further it's almost always coz of 5-5 or 4-4. They were 2-2 after ordinary, I wonder if this was the worst penalty shootout in a bigger tournament in history.
The English men missed 3 penalties in the Euro 2020 (1) final.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

Semis - win on penalties

Not the first time that great defense wins a team championship. Happens in all sports.

Reactions: al secord

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012

Semis - win on penalties

It's a joke to settle championships on this gimmick. I turn off the TV when a shootout starts in NHL games.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Congratulations Canada!

Your defense was stingy as f***, your players fought well, and when it came down to a penalty shootout I knew it could go either way.

Seeing Seger after the loss really hurt, felt close to tears myself. I’ve always appreciated her leadership and dedication, and I really wished for her to get this win after all these years.

I think a lot of us Swedes knew we had a special iteration of a team this tournament following the pummeling of the Americans. So different from Rio when they made the finals parking the bus. With the Germans missing out, I thought there was no stopping a gold medal this time. Alas, the ball is round.

Reactions: NyQuil

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Trying to figure out where this stands in terms of Canada team sport victories, and only 2002 and 2010 Olympic Hockey Golds jump out as potential comparables.

What a tremendous games for Canada. Highly successful medal count, but so many big moments that'll get remembered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad