Soccer/Football - Jul 21st-Aug 7th

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Trying to figure out where this stands in terms of Canada team sport victories, and only 2002 and 2010 Olympic Hockey Golds jump out as potential comparables.

What a tremendous games for Canada. Highly successful medal count, but so many big moments that'll get remembered.
In hockey there's 1972, 1988, 2002 and 2010 that really stand out (2014 was awesome but we all knew they were winning gold from first puck drop of the tourney). Now 2014 in women's was something truly special with Poulin sinking the Americans.

In football, this one is surely number one because we beat international competition in a very deep field. For men's I'd say the 1985 Gold Cup is up there as well since it helped qualify us into the World Cup in 86.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Hopefully this is it for Fischer, Lindahl and Seger. Think this Swedish team has a nice future with talent coming up

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
In hockey there's 1972, 1988, 2002 and 2010 that really stand out (2014 was awesome but we all knew they were winning gold from first puck drop). Now 2014 in women's was something truly special with Poulin sinking the Americans.

In football, this one is surely number one because we beat international competition. I'd say the 1985 Gold Cup is up there as well since it helped qualify us into the World Cup in 86.

Can't believe I forgot the Summit Series.

This is definitely special though. Just the impact it has on securing Sinclair's legacy makes it huge.

If we take a loose definition of team sports, the 1996 4 x 100 relay is up there. That, along with Bailey's other gold, helped us move on from 1988.

Reactions: NyQuil

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Congratulations Canada!

Your defense was stingy as f***, your players fought well, and when it came down to a penalty shootout I knew it could go either way.

Seeing Seger after the loss really hurt, felt close to tears myself. I’ve always appreciated her leadership and dedication, and I really wished for her to get this win after all these years.

I think a lot of us Swedes knew we had a special iteration of a team this tournament following the pummeling of the Americans. So different from Rio when they made the finals parking the bus. With the Germans missing out, I thought there was no stopping a gold medal this time. Alas, the ball is round.
Sweden were the elites in this event, I really enjoyed watching their matches throughout the entire Olympics! Hope to see these two teams compete in many more high leverage matches going forward :)

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
It's a joke to settle championships on this gimmick. I turn off the TV when a shootout starts in NHL games.

I think with football, it’s different. Firstly, it’s just not viable having them playing until a goal is scored as in hockey where goals are scored much more frequently.

But mainly, I think shootouts are a lot more interesting in football than in ice hockey. I certainly want the game to end in regulation, but shootouts are so extremely intense and stressful. I’ve seen plenty of hockey shootouts and could list some beautiful and important goals, and goaltenders who stood on their heads, however I could hardly name a single player who missed a deciding penalty shot in any of them, or became a scapegoat in a shootout.

Maybe Bourque in 1998? I think most will agree that Bobby Clarke and Marc Crawford deserved the Canadian scapegoat label way more than any shooter did that time.
It’s basically a 50/50-situation in hockey shootouts, the very best shooters have something like a 66% success rate I think?

In football at a certain level, you really should be able to score each time, however someone has to miss eventually, and you’ll struggle to live it down afterwards. That’s what makes it more compelling, and gut wrenching for me.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah it wasn't pretty but we'll take it 100 times out of 10 lol

Sure a win is a win at the end of the day, but it was such an ugly win and it was BARELY a win at that with those penalty kicks. Sweden just choked a little harder during the PKs and Canada got lucky.

Also was Sinclair injured? I wonder why she stopped taking penalties after the Brazil game? You'd think she'd be in there taking a penalty during a gold medal match where surely she'd do better than many of her teammates?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Also was Sinclair injured? I wonder why she stopped taking penalties after the Brazil game? You'd think she'd be in there taking a penalty during a gold medal match where surely she'd do better than many of her teammates?

I’m fairly certain they were more concerned as to whether she could effectively play another 30 minutes.

She had a pretty unremarkable tournament all told.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Trying to figure out where this stands in terms of Canada team sport victories, and only 2002 and 2010 Olympic Hockey Golds jump out as potential comparables.

What a tremendous games for Canada. Highly successful medal count, but so many big moments that'll get remembered.

I'd rate this win middle of the pack in the sense that it matters more because it was Canada's first soccer gold in the olympics. It won't be remembered for being a legendary finals game or how great the team played during the olympics.

And is curling considered team sports even if its only a team of four? Because I'd rate a number of those curling gold wins higher than this team win.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
And is curling considered team sports even if its only a team of four? Because I'd rate a number of those curling gold wins higher than this team win.

I always got the feeling until relatively recently that curling was "Canada's to lose".

I think this was a much more of an underdog performance where they managed to win against the top two teams in the tournament.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I’m fairly certain they were more concerned as to whether she could effectively play another 30 minutes.

She had a pretty unremarkable tournament all told.

If that's the case, maybe they should've brought her off the bench as a sub later in the game so that she could be there for possible penalty kicks if she wasn't capable of playing a full game effectively? She definitely would've provided a better attempt than alot of others that took penalties.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If that's the case, maybe they should've brought her off the bench as a sub later in the game so that she could be there for possible penalty kicks if she wasn't capable of playing a full game effectively?

It's something other people have suggested as well.

I suspect, as Captain and totem for the team for decades, she preferred to start and it's something that the team accommodated.

She did set up the game tying penalty by being in the right place at the right time.

She definitely would've provided a better attempt than alot of others that took penalties.

Who can say?

She was 0 for 1 in penalties in the tournament.

Sweden's best player and Sweden's Captain both missed their attempts.

Reactions: 1989

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I always got the feeling until relatively recently that curling was "Canada's to lose".

I think this was a much more of an underdog performance where they managed to win against the top two teams in the tournament.

I think the perception that Canada dominates curling is only partly true. They do have consistently good results, but there are a number of other countries that are just as good if not more so. In the olympics Canada has done pretty well, but its pretty far from near complete domination like China has with diving and table tennis as an example.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think the perception that Canada dominates curling is only partly true. They do have consistently good results, but there are a number of other countries that are just as good if not more so. In the olympics Canada has done pretty well, but its pretty far from near complete domination like China has with diving and table tennis as an example.

I don't want to diminish the level of competition in curling, which is considerable and getting better all the time, but more so that Canada is more of a prohibitive favourite and not winning gold is generally seen as a disappointment.

So I find it hard to put curling gold over the women's soccer gold.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

The world has definitely caught up to Canada in curling. Medals aren’t guaranteed anymore.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Who can say?

She was 0 for 1 in penalties in the tournament.

Sweden's best player and Sweden's Captain both missed their attempts.

From Sinclair's past history with penalties, she seems to rarely miss. I'd rather have her take one and fire a hard shot at the net than some of the other ones we saw. No guarantee that she would've scored, but I'll take Sinclair and the odds that she would than not have her take one at all.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I don't want to diminish the level of competition in curling, which is considerable and getting better all the time, but more so that Canada is more of a prohibitive favourite and not winning gold is generally seen as a disappointment.

So I find it hard to put curling gold over the women's soccer gold.

Canada hasn't been a 'prohibitive favorite' in curling for a while now. They're probably more like a top contender along with a few other curling nations these days.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Canada hasn't been a 'prohibitive favorite' in curling for a while now. They're probably more like a top contender along with a few other curling nations these days.

Whatever you want to call it, personally I think you'd be hard-pressed to call any curling gold for Canada a more impressive team achievement.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
If that's the case, maybe they should've brought her off the bench as a sub later in the game so that she could be there for possible penalty kicks if she wasn't capable of playing a full game effectively? She definitely would've provided a better attempt than alot of others that took penalties.
She shouldn't have started this game or most others, they left her on far too long in this one, and there is no way she could have played another 30+ minutes.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Whatever you want to call it, personally I think you'd be hard-pressed to call any curling gold for Canada a more impressive team achievement.

I would say Jennifer Jones gold medal in 2014 Sochi was far more impressive where she became the first female curling team to go undefeated at 11-0 to win the gold at the olympics. Only other time a curling team went undefeated was Kevin Martin in Vancouver.

To me completely dominating the field to make olympic history on your way to a gold medal is much more impressive than barely winning a gold where the other team was worse in penalties than you were. How many chances did Sweden get to win and they just choked a little more than Canada did.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
She shouldn't have started this game or most others, they left her on far too long in this one, and there is no way she could have played another 30+ minutes.

If she was that injured, then why not only sub her in for like the last 10 mins of regulation or something so that she can be there for penalty kicks if needed?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
If she was that injured, then why not only sub her in for like the last 10 mins of regulation or something so that she can be there for penalty kicks if needed?
Who said anything about her being injured? She's 38 years old and well passed her prime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad