Soccer/Football - Jul 21st-Aug 7th

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
I saw the Canadian women play at the U-19 World Cup in Edmonton back in 2002. I feel that this era for the squad started at that tournament, and it's nice to see this bookend for Sinclair's incredible career.
That tournament was the beginning of an era. Sinclair scores five goals against England in the QF, they beat Brazil in penalties, there were 48,000 in Commonwealth Stadium for the Final and women's soccer was a headline story in Canada for the first time. Erin McLeod from that team wins a gold in Tokyo as Canada's third string GK. The next year (2003) Canada makes the SF of the World Cup (losing to Sweden), 18 years later and here we are.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
The Swedish shooter who did a John Terry/Roberto Baggio when she could have given her team the gold looked super depressed before even taking the shot. And that's the team veteran. She looked like she was attending a funeral.

I remember when Baggio took his infamous penalty. Even as a kid I knew he was going to botch it because he looked like he was about to cry.

Actually the Swedish keeper indirectly called out her teammates in an interview afterwards when she said she personally likes those high pressure moments, but that she didn't know how the shooters felt. She was pissed.

Well she is certainly entitled to be angry. Hope the players that missed don't get too much hate though.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
That tournament was the beginning of an era. Sinclair scores five goals against England in the QF, they beat Brazil in penalties, there were 48,000 in Commonwealth Stadium for the Final and women's soccer was a headline story in Canada for the first time. Erin McLeod from that team wins a gold in Tokyo as Canada's third string GK. The next year (2003) Canada makes the SF of the World Cup (losing to Sweden), 18 years later and here we are.
That event created such an amazing buzz in the city. It wasn't an extremely high-profile event, but by the end it really felt like something special. Too bad Kara Lang ran into injuries - she was a fantastic player, and probably would have still been on the squad for the Olympic gold.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
I saw the Canadian women play at the U-19 World Cup in Edmonton back in 2002. I feel that this era for the squad started at that tournament, and it's nice to see this bookend for Sinclair's incredible career.
I feel like the 2012 match vs USA was a huge turning point for Canadian football on the female side. Sinclair's hat trick, the controversy, and eventually winning bronze changed the script on what was a mediocre legacy for the national team up to that point. It was the most heartbreaking loss in Canadian football history (men or women) but it had a huge long-term benefit

To put it into perspective, 16 of the 22 players on Team Canada this year were U-18 in age when they saw that game in London, it basically inspired an entire generation

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad