So why exactly is MacKinnon better than Matthews again?

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
Regular season is somewhat close but haven't really seen Matthews take over in the playoffs like MacKinnon has. That's the difference.

MacKinnon has that skating and speed where he can manufacture a really good scoring chance off the rush when his team has nothing going on and the game is mucked up. Auston Matthews has not shown he can do that yet.

Take over in the playoffs? take over what? the first round?

I saw all the Vegas/Avs games and MacK did not take over at all

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Your team is going into Game 7 of the SCF. The NHL introduces a new twist that you can add an elite player for the final game.

The choices are Mac or Matthews.

You have first choice, your opponent gets the other player.

Make your pick
Price!! ok just kidding....
Mac.....much better playoff performer, and overall game.

Reactions: egd27

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Mackinnon was shutdown for 2.5 playoff games. Mathews has been shutdown his entire playoff career. Is this thread for real.

Auston Mathews career playoff games = 32 games, 24 points and negative 3
Nate Mackinnon career playoff games = 50 games, 70 points and plus 15

Recently watched on youtube a bunch of his overtime playoff goals too. Don't even know if mathews has ever even scored a goal in overtime during the playoffs.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Take over in the playoffs? take over what? the first round?

I saw all the Vegas/Avs games and MacK did not take over at all
Ah so you watched 1 round then. I like how you conveniently left out the 1st round and the 1st game against Vegas where Mac was on a mission. What happened to Matthews with only 5 points in 7 games. What a leader!

Reactions: Tom155

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
Are either better than back to back cup champ pat maroon???? WHEERES THE EVIDENCE???

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Why do we need to compare players that will never get traded for one another. All that matters is neither made it past the 2nd round. Does it help people sleep better at night knowing that an online forum agrees one player is better than the other?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
How can anyone think anything other than it’s Matthews?

first 5 years. Mack hadn’t won a round. Missed the playoffs 3 times.

as far as seasons go. Mack was a 15-25 goal 55-65 pt player over 5 seasons.

Matthews has averaged 49 goal pace despite multiple injuries and 2 shortened pandemic seasons.

mackinnon age for age has shown nothing remotely comparable to Matthews. Even this year. Matthews was clearly better

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
How can anyone think anything other than it’s Matthews?

first 5 years. Mack hadn’t won a round. Missed the playoffs 3 times.

as far as seasons go. Mack was a 15-25 goal 55-65 pt player over 5 seasons.

Matthews has averaged 49 goal pace despite multiple injuries and 2 shortened pandemic seasons.

mackinnon age for age has shown nothing remotely comparable to Matthews. Even this year. Matthews was clearly better

Pffffftttt
from OP
And before you say their playoff records, they're not that much different

Shall we have a look at their playoff stats?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
To me Mckinnon is better all around player. Matthews is the better/more natural goal scorer but that is the only thing he is a fair bit better at.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Pffffftttt
from OP
And before you say their playoff records, they're not that much different

Shall we have a look at their playoff stats?

the part where Mack missed 3 playoffs and lost in round one twice? Sure.

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
My point is every player has their strengths and weaknesses. I don't understand how MacKinnon having a better skating game makes him a better center and hockey player overall in comparison to Matthews.

The stats tell a completely different narrative than the one pushed on these forums.

"the stats tell a completely different narrative.." And only brings up goal scoring as an argument..

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
I would take Matthews and I imagine 9/10 GMs would as well (there is always that one outlier)
In various GM, coach, and scout polls that you will see pop-up during the season/offseason, MacKinnon usually ranks higher than Matthews.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
For the last 2 minutes of a tied game or a game where your team is behind by one goal, I would probably choose Matthews.

He has a deadly shot that he can score with from anywhere in the offensive zone.

However, for the other 58 minutes of the game? I think MacKinnon brings more overall ability to the table.

Reactions: Sensators

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Matthews is a complete no show in the playoffs and needs Marner to produce in the RS.

It's so funny how everyone tries to say someone is a product of someone else. In this situation you will read one post saying Matthews makes Marner and then another one saying the exact opposite. I'm arguing at another board about the same thing with the Habs duo.

You know it is possible to have two great players on one line, someone isn't always making someone else.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Matthews has almost as many goals as MacKinnon in almost half as many games.

And before you say their playoff records they're not that much different even though MacKinnon has had a much better cast with him.

All that says is that Matthews is a better goal scorer and that he had a great start to his career while MacKinnon had a slower start. It says nothing about who is currently the better all round player nor does it tell us who will have a better peak.
I think most people would take MacKinnon here. There is also a big difference between losing in the playoffs to Vegas in the quarter finals and losing in the first round to Columbus and Montreal in successive years.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
All that says is that Matthews is a better goal scorer and that he had a great start to his career while MacKinnon had a slower start. It says nothing about who is currently the better all round player nor does it tell us who will have a better peak.
I think most people would take MacKinnon here. There is also a big difference between losing in the playoffs to Vegas in the quarter finals and losing in the first round to Columbus and Montreal in successive years.

i think a player being hands down better at every comparable year.... and then scoring 21 more goals this year. Tells us at least something?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad