So why exactly is MacKinnon better than Matthews again?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
i think a player being hands down better at every comparable year.... and then scoring 21 more goals this year. Tells us at least something?
It tells us that Matthews is the better goal scorer. Period. Nothing else
Players develop at different paces. The NHL is full of examples like this. The Sedins, Draisaitl, Kucherov etc. Henrik Sedin, for example, had 42 points in his fourth year. Should we assume that another player with say 60 points in his fourth year will automatically go on to win the Art Ross and Hart trophy and have a better career?
It's flawed logic to assume linear development. Right now Mack is the better player. Could Matthews catch him? Possibly but he still needs to show that.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
i think a player being hands down better at every comparable year.... and then scoring 21 more goals this year. Tells us at least something?

That Matthews has the potential to be better but currently isn't?

Value of goals vs assists has been argued to death already in this thread but at the end of the day MacKinnon is involved in his team scoring more goals than Matthews is.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
He's for sure a better goal scorer but that doesn't mean he's the better player. Despite him scoring more goals this year he still only managed having one point more in four more games. Then add in their playoff history and it's easy to see why people pick MacKinnon

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Why are we comparing each player by respective years of their careers rather than what they are right now? The question isn't "who was a better player at age 21?". The question is who is a better player right now.

The only thing Matthews has on MacKinnon is goal scoring. MacKinnon's better at everything else. The only people who continue to argue otherwise are massive Leaf homers.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Why are we comparing each player by respective years of their careers rather than what they are right now? The question isn't "who was a better player at age 21?". The question is who is a better player right now.

The only thing Matthews has on MacKinnon is goal scoring. MacKinnon's better at everything else. The only people who continue to argue otherwise are massive Leaf homers.

Well if we are arguing right now.
Then Matthews is better?

21 more goals in 4 less games. Nominated for Lindsey. Hart. Won rocket.

Matthews was better this season

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Should be obvious.

Matthews has a career high of 80 points
MacKinnon has 3 seasons over 90 points

Mathews best playoffs is 6 pts in 5 games
Mackinnon has 3 playoffs better than Matthews best

Bahahah Matthews could literally stop playing hockey for 2 years and still have more goals than mack at the start of his 8th year.

Reactions: Syed Ammad rizvi

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Bahahah Matthews could literally stop playing hockey for 2 years and still have more goals than mack at the start of his 8th year.

Good job MaKinnon is getting paid 6.3 million while Matthews is getting paid 11.6, then.

And Matthews might be 30 years old till he matches MacKinnons playoff points right now at age 25 if he keeps getting 5 or 6 every year.

You know, it's ok that Matthews is not as good as MacKinnon. It's doesn't make him bad.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Good job MaKinnon is getting paid 6.3 million while Matthews is getting paid 11.6, then.

And Matthews might be 30 years old till he matches MacKinnons playoff points right now at age 25 if he keeps getting 5 or 6 every year.

You know, it's ok that Matthews is not as good as MacKinnon. It's doesn't make him bad.

matthews is getting paid that money because he is the best goal scorer in the league.

mackinnon is getting paid that money because he had Alex kerfoot like production and was in literal therapy due to his concerns he was a bust.

it’s great for him that he turned it around to be the 3rd best center in the league. But he is as close to Matthews as Matthews is to Mcdavid

Reactions: Syed Ammad rizvi

Syed Ammad rizvi

Nov 1, 2020
That Matthews has the potential to be better but currently isn't?

Value of goals vs assists has been argued to death already in this thread but at the end of the day MacKinnon is involved in his team scoring more goals than Matthews is.
Is there a trophy in NHL for most assists in a season? I know there is for goal scoring. I think that should answer which is considered harder to do

Syed Ammad rizvi

Nov 1, 2020

Matthews is better at an art that is toughest to do in the NHL. Actually the best right now. So he is better than mack

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Imagine thinking apples compare to goals. Hilarious. I can pass the puck to my talented friend and he can score. If he passes to me I won’t score. Finishing in hockey is the hardest thing to do.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Imagine thinking apples compare to goals. Hilarious. I can pass the puck to my talented friend and he can score. If he passes to me I won’t score. Finishing in hockey is the hardest thing to do.

Are you aware that there is a thread on this very page titled, '90% of the goals in today's game are flukey b.s?'

You could also stand still beside the net and I could circle around the defense drawing everyone's attention and then put the puck perfectly on your stick. Happens all the time.

Reactions: Tripod

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
So now awards don't mean a thing.

They mean exactly what they say. Rocket is for 'most goals scored' and that's it.

The Hart is for 'most valuable player to his team' although they should probably drop the last 3 words. Both Matthews and Mackinnon are nominated for that one. Care to look back through the past few years and see where each of them falls on the Hart voting list?

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Well if we are arguing right now.
Then Matthews is better?

21 more goals in 4 less games. Nominated for Lindsey. Hart. Won rocket.

Matthews was better this season

How recent do you want to get? Cause if we are arguing right now, Mackinnon had the better playoffs, when he games meant something. We could go on all day.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Are you aware that there is a thread on this very page titled, '90% of the goals in today's game are flukey b.s?'

You could also stand still beside the net and I could circle around the defense drawing everyone's attention and then put the puck perfectly on your stick. Happens all the time.
That thread is based on an incorrect and nonsense premise. If 90 % of goals were flukey BS, a player like Matthews would not be near the top of the goal scoring chart every year. It's silly.

Reactions: weems

JBear

Mar 26, 2014
If you were a GM and had to fantasy draft your team who would be your first pick of the decision was between the two? Mine would be MacKinnon. More dynamic and better cap hit. Even without the salary I'd still pick Mac.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I generally prefer goal scorers when it's close between two players. But while Matthews is the superior goal scorer, Mack is no slouch himself, capable of 40 goals while being more of a playmaking threat. It's also been shown that he's the harder of the two to contain in the playoffs, where Matthews is merely average while Mack shines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad