So why exactly is MacKinnon better than Matthews again?

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Matthews is a complete no show in the playoffs and needs Marner to produce in the RS.
Yup. Marner drives the offense and when he's struggling Matthews can't do anything. He hasn't proven he can step up on his own and until he can he is not worth his ridiculous contract. Dude is getting paid more than McDavid. You better be neck and neck with him in talent, points etc and he's a whole tier below.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
If mathews can score from anywhere why not give him 3 playmakers and a grinder, he obviously can't skate like a young ovie to do it himself but if his hands are as good as some say just justget him him the puck

Saying that I wouldn't move marner there aren't any better passing wingers you could get other than maybe Johnny hockey

Idk id probably want to move him to wing if I was the coach because he isn't particularly fast and lots of his goals are in tight so if he misses he can't cover putting more stress on the goalie and dmen .

He is a winger playing center to me

Last edited:

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Matthews has almost as many goals as MacKinnon in almost half as many games.

And before you say their playoff records they're not that much different even though MacKinnon has had a much better cast with him.

Because hockey is more than simply scoring goals? If Matthews continues on this trajectory, then he can get to that top level that MacKinnon and McDavid are on but I'm not ready to put him there quite yet. Despite Mack's lack of playoff success, he seems to have a lot of drive and determination to make himself and his team better. He's intense (perhaps too much at times) and seems like a great leader. There isn't a single opposing player that makes me nervous as MacKinnon. Plus, as others have mentioned, he's got insane numbers in the playoffs even though his teams have come up short while Matthews has been underwhelming in postseason play.

That being said, I think fans in general overrate guys based on their offensive stats. If my team was trying to win a Cup, I'd rather have someone like Bergeron or O'Reilly on my team. Give me a guy who can score like a first liner AND play a complete 200-foot game instead of a guy who doesn't contribute much when he's not scoring.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Regular season, they are arguably even.

Playoffs, I have not seen Matthews take over like Mackinnon. Mackinnon is a 1.38pts per game player in the playoffs, Matthews is a 0.75pt per game player... Mackinnon has led his team or been 1 point off the lead in playoff scoring every year he's made the playoffs... Matthews has had "good" series and is normally at or near the lead, but also had a playoff where he did absolutely nothing. Additionally, Mackinnon has actually gone on runs.

So... almost 2x as many games per playoff appearance, almost 2x more productive per game offensively, 17 pt team lead in playoff scoring since entering the league vs Matthews being 2nd, 1 pt behind Marner... how on earth are their playoff records not that different?!?

That said, Matthews belongs in that conversation and will continue to entrench himself within that top group more and more and more. But acting like there is no justification for him being considered a step below Mackinnon, while acting like they have been comparable in the playoffs... well, you're trying to bullshit us.

I've seen this said by several posters and have to give a big double take to see if it's real.

The 3 years prior to this one, Matthews has not been as good a regular season performer.

You're talking about a guy who has been a Hart runner up twice in three years and was a consistent 40 goal, 100 point player compared to a player who finish 10th in the Hart race once and surpassed 40 goals and 80 point once.

Matthews stepped his game up to another level this season but there's absolutely no argument to support that Matthews was even close to as good a regular season player as MacKinnon the three seasons prior and you can just watch the players to see that MacKinnon drives offense far better than Matthews does. It's not like Matthews has junk for a supporting cast either so I don't buy that argument.

Mar 14, 2011
69 in 50 is much better than 24 in 32.
stats can be deceiving, but, at this point, these two arent in the same ballpark.
Yea but 11.64 is much, much higher than 6.3 so Matthews also has him clearly beat. See I can use numbers to prove you wrong as well.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Mac is a much better playmaker, where as Matthews is arguably the best goal scorer in the NHL. One more rocket next year and it's no longer debatable IMO.

I think we saw what happens to Matthews when he has no one to feed him the puck in these playoffs (Marner looked unusually awful). For that reason, I think a lot of people would prefer the playmaking center that elevates those around him more (Mac). Similar as to why Stamkos was never quite viewed to be as good as Crosby, despite scoring 60.

Either way, I think Matthews narrowed the gap a decent amount this year. Let's see if he can close it or possibly even overtake Mac this next year.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I've seen this said by several posters and have to give a big double take to see if it's real.

The 3 years prior to this one, Matthews has not been as good a regular season performer.

You're talking about a guy who has been a Hart runner up twice in three years and was a consistent 40 goal, 100 point player compared to a player who finish 10th in the Hart race once and surpassed 40 goals and 80 point once.

Matthews stepped his game up to another level this season but there's absolutely no argument to support that Matthews was even close to as good a regular season player as MacKinnon the three seasons prior. It's not like Matthews has junk for a supporting cast either so I don't buy that argument.

Well, Matthews is 23 and we're not talking about 3 years ago... we're talking about now. It's arguable, so I decided to focus on the part of the argument that is inarguable. I don't agree with the argument, but it's certainly arguable.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Well, Matthews is 23 and we're not talking about 3 years ago... we're talking about now. It's arguable, so I decided to focus on the part of the argument that is inarguable. I don't agree with the argument, but it's certainly arguable.

Prior to this year, there is no argument. MacKinnon was a better player. Matthews raised his game a level this season, to Mac's level.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
matthews is getting paid that money because he is the best goal scorer in the league.

mackinnon is getting paid that money because he had Alex kerfoot like production and was in literal therapy due to his concerns he was a bust.

it’s great for him that he turned it around to be the 3rd best center in the league. But he is as close to Matthews as Matthews is to Mcdavid
Bolded is either misunderstanding what went on or a lie to attempt to denigrate MacKinnon.

He started seeing a sports psychologist because he felt he was too hard on himself during games so when things went poorly early on in a game he would get rattled. It had nothing to do with being a 1st oa bust.

Also as for Mac vs AM. It's been what like 4-5 seasons since Matthews has out produced MacKinnon? Then you add in his play off production.

I take MacKinnon but not by a massive amount mind you. But it is fairly clear at least IMO.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Come playoff time Mackinnon ups his game. He averages 0.4 more pts per game (0.2G and 0.2A). Matthews production drops in playoffs down about 0.3 pts per game (0.2G and 0.1A) One is a top three player and one is paid like it

Reactions: User9992

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Mackinnon comfortably better

2016/2017 Matthews was better
2017/2018 Mackinnon was better
2018/2019 Mackinnon was better
2020/2021 Mackinnon was better
2021/2022 Matthews was better

Mackinnon has been better 3 put of 5 years AM34 has been in the NHL with his seasons the gap in being better being large than Matthews seasons he was better in 2017 and this year

Playoffs wise, rookie Mackinnon is better than Matthews best playoff serires so far.

Mackinnon is dynamite in the playoffs and if he can overcome the Avs 2nd round struggles is a huge candidate to win a conn Smythe as he's rotuninely the Avs best playoff player

Top 5 players in the world are

1. McDavid
2. Kucherov
3. Mackinnon
4. Draisaitl
5. Matthews

Last edited:

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
tenor.gif

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Matthews last 4 season paces: 83 pts, 88 pts, 94 pts, 104 pts
Mackinnon's last 4 season paces: 107 pts, 99 pts, 111 pts, 111 pts,

The the gaps by year were 24, 11, 17, 7

Matthews got the closest he has gotten this year....then shit the bed in the playoffs...again. Matthews is a great player. No shame in being just below MacKinnon.

Reactions: Tom155 and obZen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad