So why exactly is MacKinnon better than Matthews again?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Matthews last 4 season paces: 83 pts, 88 pts, 94 pts, 104 pts
Mackinnon's last 4 season paces: 107 pts, 99 pts, 111 pts, 111 pts,

The the gaps by year were 24, 11, 17, 7

Matthews got the closest he has gotten this year....then shit the bed in the playoffs...again. Matthews is a great player. No shame in being just below MacKinnon.

But goals !!!

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Even as a Leafs fan I will admit that MacKinnon is a better player -- at least right now -- than Matthews is. And I would admittedly take him over Matthews today if we had the chance.

For me, if we're removing all bias, this is simple -- MacKinnon is better than Matthews is every aspect except for scoring goals. He's a better skater, he's more explosive, plays with more intensity, produces more overall points, and he has shown that he can dominate for stretches in the playoffs. And, although Matthews "scores more goals", MacKinnon is no slouch either and has elite mitts. I also prefer MacKinnon's competitive spirit and fire than Matthews' nonchalant, ho-hum, play it cool, attitude.

All of that said, Matthews is still probably my favorite player in the league right now, and I'm thrilled that he's the cornerstone of the Leafs. But, yeah, full disclosure, I take MacKinnon over him.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Even as a Leafs fan I will admit that MacKinnon is a better player -- at least right now -- than Matthews is. And I would admittedly take him over Matthews today if we had the chance.

For me, if we're removing all bias, this is simple -- MacKinnon is better than Matthews is every aspect except for scoring goals. He's a better skater, he's more explosive, plays with more intensity, produces more overall points, and he has shown that he can dominate for stretches in the playoffs. And, although Matthews "scores more goals", MacKinnon is no slouch either and has elite mitts. I also prefer MacKinnon's competitive spirit and fire than Matthews' nonchalant, ho-hum, play it cool, attitude.

All of that said, Matthews is still probably my favorite player in the league right now, and I'm thrilled that he's the cornerstone of the Leafs. But, yeah, full disclosure, I take MacKinnon over him.
Agree.

And as an Avs fan I would not be surprised if someday Matthews is seen as the better player. Two great players and both of their best play is yet to come.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Regular season, debatable topic
Playoffs, since 2016....one of them is 1st in ppg, another is 66th

6stringmofo

Mar 12, 2015
Ottawa
192738475_10165592174925597_1371020417208044375_n.jpg

Reactions: mclaren55

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Although I prefer Mack right now, this is such a sophistic/cherry picking argument; Mack became a ppg player in his 5th NHL season while Matthews became a ppg player in his 2nd season...

The Avs were a dumpster fire for most of Mack's first 4 years. Do you think Matthews would have been a PPG player if he were dragging the corpse of Jarome Iginla up the ice every shift?

Grabner

Feb 22, 2018
The Avs were a dumpster fire for most of Mack's first 4 years. Do you think Matthews would have been a PPG player if he were dragging the corpse of Jarome Iginla up the ice every shift?
We'll never - Eichel has been a PPG player with a fire dumpster team, Matthews maybe would've been with the Avs or not, who knows...point being it is still cherry picking the stats
But hey I'll take Mack over Matthews still bud

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
We'll never - Eichel has been a PPG player with a fire dumpster team, Matthews maybe would've been with the Avs or not, who knows...point being it is still cherry picking the stats

Isn't looking at specific ages also "cherry picking", with the goal of making Matthews look better by comparison? Or does completely ignoring the context of those point totals, and the quality of their respective teams prove something?

Eichel has also only been PPG twice in 6 years, and needed someone better than Iginla's corpse to do it. Or is Skinner scoring 40 goals exactly the same as Iginla scoring 47 points?

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
because Mackinnon is the most overrated player in the league and a golden child of HF hipsters who have a hard time acknowledging McDavid and Matthews as the current top tier players.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
So for what it's worth, the annual NHL player's poll has revealed that the players think Matthews is the better goal scorer, has a better shot, and is a better dresser. But they also think MacKinnon is the more complete player, a better stick handler, and if they had one game to win it all they would pick MacKinnon before Matthews.

NHLPA Player Poll 2020-21

Reactions: Lemonlimey

AdvancedPressure

Jan 19, 2021
He's got more fire. You can see it. Mackinnon hates to lose. Matthews on the other hand is off on date nights with Bieber mere weeks after no showing (again) in the playoffs. I predicted this would happen before the MTL series started.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

It's also cherry picking stats to focus on what each guy did at age 19 or 20 when the discussion is who is a better player *RIGHT NOW*.

That's like asking who was better at their peak between Joe Thornton and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and then bringing up Thornton's first two seasons in the league to argue RNH is better at their peak if you compare their early career performance. Thornton's 7 point rookie season has zero relevance to what he was at his peak.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Although I prefer Mack right now, this is such a sophistic/cherry picking argument; Mack became a ppg player in his 5th NHL season while Matthews became a ppg player in his 2nd season...

You can easily say that the start of Matthews' career has been better than MacKinnon's, but that's not what's being asked in this thread. Judging the current ability of a player based off his seasons from 6-8 years ago is asinine.

Reactions: Grabner

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Almost same amount of points but for half the salary and he's actually good in the playoffs.

He wasn't completly owned by Phillip Danault at the very least

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Is not even close.... Nathan only cost 6.3m for another 2 years.... That is by far the best contract in the NHL. No idea how Sakic made him sign only for 6.3m.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Grabner

Feb 22, 2018
You can easily say that the start of Matthews' career has been better than MacKinnon's, but that's not what's being asked in this thread. Judging the current ability of a player based off his seasons from 6-8 years ago is asinine.
And i dont disagree and it’s why I would take Mack now for sure, anyways I think both teams are happy with their studs lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad