So...Who`s going to make it impossible for Julien to Cut??

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
If I had to rate the players (vying for jobs) at practice today, it would go...

Fraser
Gagne
Spooner
Leino

Lindblad
Griffith
Koko
Knight
Ferlin

That's not to say the guys on the bottom list looked bad. Actually, they all looked pretty darn solid out there, and there's reason to be excited about the future of all of them. But the guys on that top list stood out and made plays. Even Leino. I didn't want to like him, but he was deadly in close, he protected the puck really well, he made good passes around the net...

Gagne is looking more and more like the new Recchi. Lots of subtle, smart plays. Good touch in close. He doesn't have the speed he used to, but he's got hockey sense in spades and is very good on the cycle.

Spooner is so good with the puck, and he was really trying and engaging physically in the defensive battles and drills down low. IMO, CJ has been unusually harsh on him in the media, so it's hard to get a read on the plans there. Are they demanding a lot because they expect a lot this year? Or are they laying the ground work for a demotion? I think the criticisms are real things he can work to improve, it's just unusual to see them be so public about it.

Other random thoughts...

Julien was getting on Loui at the start of practice to pick up the pace.

Caron was on a line with Paille and it was cool to see the vet helping Caron, even directing him during one drill when he was skating the wrong pattern. Paille fixed it on the fly and then you could see him giving the kid encouragement after the fact.

Subban looks really strong on initial shots, 2on1's and breakaways, but he's giving up tons of rebounds.

I bet we see these PP Units tonight: Fraser-Krejci-Loui-Warsaw-Boychuk, Caron-Soder-Griffith-Morrow-Trotman.

After practice they did a shootout where nobody could score on Subban/Svedberg. Guys like Krejci and Loui even went twice. Afterwards Julien told the troops, "Ok, no shootout tonight!"
I don't know a whole lot about how Spooner or Fraser have looked when not wearing a Bruins uniform but I wouldn't mind Fraser,Spooner and Gagne all making the team.Youth is fine but it is always nice to have some balance,Gagne could be a good fit for one year.

SlimBrady

Mar 1, 2007
Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson
Marchand-Bergeron-Griffith
Fraser-Soderberg-Smith (2.5)
Paille-Spooner-Kelly

Campbell traded

Chara-Boychuk
Seidenberg-Hamilton
Krug(2.5)-Miller
Warsofsky

Bartkowski and McQuaid traded

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson
Marchand-Bergeron-Griffith
Fraser-Soderberg-Smith (2.5)
Paille-Spooner-Kelly

Campbell traded

Chara-Boychuk
Seidenberg-Hamilton
Krug(2.5)-Miller
Warsofsky

Bartkowski and McQuaid traded

I'd keep Bart if I could and trade Warsofsky. If Krug gets hurt, Bart can play 3rd pair, If a 2nd pair gets hurt, Bart is going to be way more capable of eating those minutes than Krug or Warsofsky.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I'd keep Bart if I could and trade Warsofsky. If Krug gets hurt, Bart can play 3rd pair, If a 2nd pair gets hurt, Bart is going to be way more capable of eating those minutes than Krug or Warsofsky.

This is spot on, but a lot of people will probably disagree anyway. Bart's versatility makes him worth holding on to if you can, especially as insurance in case they keep Boychuk and he walks next summer. Warsofsky looks good right now but he's redundant with Krug, Trotman, and Morrow all in the system already.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I am one of them. I just thinks Bart's flaws outweigh his strengths, and unfortunately his flaws are the type that get exposed the bigger the moment, the better the opponent.

He doesn't have great hockey sense, he is prone to giant gaffes, and he can't be trusted in close games.

I don't hate the kid, but I don't think he is a guy you win with. Compared to a guy like McQuaid his best assets are better but his worst assets are much worse.

Hope that made sense. It's late.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I am one of them. I just thinks Bart's flaws outweigh his strengths, and unfortunately his flaws are the type that get exposed the bigger the moment, the better the opponent.

He doesn't have great hockey sense, he is prone to giant gaffes, and he can't be trusted in close games.

I don't hate the kid, but I don't think he is a guy you win with. Compared to a guy like McQuaid his best assets are better but his worst assets are much worse.

Hope that made sense. It's late.

I disagree, but it makes sense. Only thing is the choice was deal Warsofsky or deal Bart. The post I was responding to was dealing Bart and McQ :laugh:

I can see where you are coming from, but I think that one of the reasons Bart looked so bad at times last year was because he wasn't ready for Top 4 minutes. Last year was his transition year from the AHL, so ideally he is playing 3rd line minutes or soaking up knowledge as the 7th D. Instead he got thrown into the fire and was playing 20 min a night against Top 6 F's, and at times he was out of his league.

I love Krug, but doesn't it tell you anything that the B's felt like it was better to move Bart up to Sides spot, rather than Krug and then have Bart slide into his spot. That tells me they weren't sure if Bart could do it, but were certain Krug couldn't.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Should Smith be worried?

Claude should be. He talks about strong back side pressure and support, chipping pucks in deep, taking your man. He railed against Spooner and Seth Griffith scores but is the antithesis of what Claude preaches. Going to be fascinating to watch him try to do his system with these players. Can't be done

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Claude should be. He talks about strong back side pressure and support, chipping pucks in deep, taking your man. He railed against Spooner and Seth Griffith scores but is the antithesis of what Claude preaches. Going to be fascinating to watch him try to do his system with these players. Can't be done

For those like myself who want to see Claude taken out to pasture, I hope this happens.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Outside of Looch and Marchand combining for 50 goals, it would be really nice to see Eriksson, Smith and Fraser all as regs, and Morrow as the potential 8th after all the cap stuff is sorted. I had hoped for 2 of them to be regular contributors to the Bruins. 3 or possibly 4 would be more than we could have hoped for. If it can be something like 26 goals from Eriksson, 21ish from Smith and 17 from Fraser, man that would be tremendous.

bbfan1972

Repeat
Aug 25, 2007
Waterloo
For those like myself who want to see Claude taken out to pasture, I hope this happens.

Really?

I know CJ has me had me scratching my head at times, but I think people forget about some of the previous coaches like Sullivan, Ftorek, Lewis, to name a few. Since CJ has been in Boston, he's taken the team to the playoffs every year, 2 cup finals, and 1 cup. There are 27-29 other teams that would take CJ in a heartbeat.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Really?

I know CJ has me had me scratching my head at times, but I think people forget about some of the previous coaches like Sullivan, Ftorek, Lewis, to name a few. Since CJ has been in Boston, he's taken the team to the playoffs every year, 2 cup finals, and 1 cup. There are 27-29 other teams that would take CJ in a heartbeat.

I`ve always felt we won the cup in spite of him and that he cost us the series against Washington, Carolina, and Montreal. His commitment to the 3rd man up high and lack of adjustment on that front allows teams to collapse the net and keep us to the perimeter.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
I`ve always felt we won the cup in spite of him and that he cost us the series against Washington, Carolina, and Montreal. His commitment to the 3rd man up high and lack of adjustment on that front allows teams to collapse the net and keep us to the perimeter.

:handclap::handclap::yo::nod:

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014

Really?

I know Claude is a good coach but a coach also has to change. The players are not the same from when he first started coaching. Has he adapted to the players? No, he has not.

In part I hold him responsible for Wheeler's offsides. :laugh:

Over all I think Claude is stuck in his system. I know when I get on him in my mind, I say to myself hold on for a second (or 2 periods). Oops! Too late! not enough time left in the game to win now. :(

BlackNgold 84

Known Kellyist
Nov 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I liked Fraser's goal last night.. Maybe its me getting older or that I shirk flashy types of players/people.. I prefer the grinding/hard efforts over the dangling, flashy stuff.

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
Fraser's goal was good and what is needed for playoff hockey but I really enjoyed the Caron to Soderberg to Griffiths goal. Not dangly, but a well constructed tick tack toe.

BlackNgold 84

Known Kellyist
Nov 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Fraser's goal was good and what is needed for playoff hockey but I really enjoyed the Caron to Soderberg to Griffiths goal. Not dangly, but a well constructed tick tack toe.

They were great too.. I didn't mean for the Fraser goal to demean the other goals the B's scored. Griffith looked good last night.

Last edited:

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004
Fraser sure seems to be emerging as that guy, great to see. Has a penchant for dirty goals and a great release as well. Would love to see him come in and pot 15-20 this year while playing a somewhat grimy game. Doesn't seem that crazy a notion at this point.

There are still some areas of concern for this team, but it seems to be coming together somewhat. Next 2 weeks should be really interesting for B's fans.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Fraser-Soderberg- Kelly
Paille-Spooner-Campbell

Caron Griffith

Chara-Hamilton
Seidenberg-Boychuck
Krug-Miller

Mcquaid Bartowski

Last edited:

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Fraser-Soderberg- Kelly
Paille-Spooner-Campbell

Caron Griffith

Chara-Hamilton
Seidenberg-Boychuck
Krug-Miller

Mcquaid Bartowski

That smells good to me. I might flop Miller & McQuaid, though. Maybe swap Gagne for Kelly, but Kels has the NTC so not gonna hold my breath there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad