So...Who`s going to make it impossible for Julien to Cut??

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
As long as Gagne stays healthy through camp it looks like he is a lock

Looks like Koko and Fraser are really pushing the vets. I would love to get some more insight into how Morrow is looking. It's likely we will see some time on this team at some point this year and I would love to hear some good things.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
As long as Gagne stays healthy through camp it looks like he is a lock

Looks like Koko and Fraser are really pushing the vets. I would love to get some more insight into how Morrow is looking. It's likely we will see some time on this team at some point this year and I would love to hear some good things.

Just going off people's thought I really respect the next two in line are Warsofsky and Trotman ... Morrow isn't ready.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Today at practice, Knight was on a line with Lucic and Spooner.

that looks like the line for Detroit- will be interesting to see how Spooner does; he may be so excited his feet are like Fred Flintstones in his car. I bet we see the fastest Spooner to date.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
If I had to rate the players (vying for jobs) at practice today, it would go...

Fraser
Gagne
Spooner
Leino

Lindblad
Griffith
Koko
Knight
Ferlin

That's not to say the guys on the bottom list looked bad. Actually, they all looked pretty darn solid out there, and there's reason to be excited about the future of all of them. But the guys on that top list stood out and made plays. Even Leino. I didn't want to like him, but he was deadly in close, he protected the puck really well, he made good passes around the net...

Gagne is looking more and more like the new Recchi. Lots of subtle, smart plays. Good touch in close. He doesn't have the speed he used to, but he's got hockey sense in spades and is very good on the cycle.

Spooner is so good with the puck, and he was really trying and engaging physically in the defensive battles and drills down low. IMO, CJ has been unusually harsh on him in the media, so it's hard to get a read on the plans there. Are they demanding a lot because they expect a lot this year? Or are they laying the ground work for a demotion? I think the criticisms are real things he can work to improve, it's just unusual to see them be so public about it.

Other random thoughts...

Julien was getting on Loui at the start of practice to pick up the pace.

Caron was on a line with Paille and it was cool to see the vet helping Caron, even directing him during one drill when he was skating the wrong pattern. Paille fixed it on the fly and then you could see him giving the kid encouragement after the fact.

Subban looks really strong on initial shots, 2on1's and breakaways, but he's giving up tons of rebounds.

I bet we see these PP Units tonight: Fraser-Krejci-Loui-Warsaw-Boychuk, Caron-Soder-Griffith-Morrow-Trotman.

After practice they did a shootout where nobody could score on Subban/Svedberg. Guys like Krejci and Loui even went twice. Afterwards Julien told the troops, "Ok, no shootout tonight!"

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
that looks like the line for Detroit- will be interesting to see how Spooner does; he may be so excited his feet are like Fred Flintstones in his car. I bet we see the fastest Spooner to date.

Yep. Knight was also part of the PP unit for the DET game. He looks solid out there. Best I've seen in years.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Fraser
Gagne
Spooner
Leino

Lindblad
Griffith
Koko
Knight
Ferlin

That's not to say the guys on the bottom list looked bad. Actually, they all looked pretty darn solid out there, and there's reason to be excited about the future of all of them. But the guys on that top list stood out and made plays. Even Leino. I didn't want to like him, but he was deadly in close, he protected the puck really well, he made good passes around the net...

Gagne is looking more and more like the new Recchi. Lots of subtle, smart plays. Good touch in close. He doesn't have the speed he used to, but he's got hockey sense in spades and is very good on the cycle.

Spooner is so good with the puck, and he was really trying and engaging physically in the defensive battles and drills down low. IMO, CJ has been unusually harsh on him in the media, so it's hard to get a read on the plans there. Are they demanding a lot because they expect a lot this year? Or are they laying the ground work for a demotion? I think the criticisms are real things he can work to improve, it's just unusual to see them be so public about it.

Other random thoughts...

Caron was on a line with Paille and it was cool to see the vet helping Caron, even directing him during one drill when he was skating the wrong pattern. Paille fixed it on the fly and then you could see him giving the kid encouragement after the fact.

Subban looks really strong on initial shots, 2on1's and breakaways, but he's giving up tons of rebounds.

I bet we see these PP Units tonight: Fraser-Krejci-Loui-Warsaw-Boychuk, Caron-Soder-Griffith-Morrow-Trotman.

After practice they did a shootout where nobody could score on Subban/Svedberg. Guys like Krejci and Loui even went twice. Afterwards Julien told the troops, "Ok, no shootout tonight!"

Thanks for the update, some interesting stuff there for sure.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

Fraser
Gagne
Spooner
Leino

Lindblad
Griffith
Koko
Knight
Ferlin

Other random thoughts...

Thanks for the insight!

hubey

Nov 19, 2013
Regina, Saskatchewan

Fraser
Gagne
Spooner
Leino

Lindblad
Griffith
Koko
Knight
Ferlin

Other random thoughts...

Thanks for the great write up Bill.

I would be disappointed if the brass decides to keep both Gagne and Leino. The team could use some speed so I would like to see atleast one of Spooner/Knight/Koko make the club.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006

Fraser
Gagne
Spooner
Leino

Lindblad
Griffith
Koko
Knight
Ferlin

Other random thoughts...

Thanks Bill. You put Fraser on the top of the list but didn't comment on him. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the youngster.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Fraser's getting my vote right now. Although he may have already been a favourite for a spot. Kid's laying it all out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad