So...Who`s going to make it impossible for Julien to Cut??

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Claude should be. He talks about strong back side pressure and support, chipping pucks in deep, taking your man. He railed against Spooner and Seth Griffith scores but is the antithesis of what Claude preaches. Going to be fascinating to watch him try to do his system with these players. Can't be done

I respectfully disagree Dan,

I think you can backcheck pretty hard and stay on your man and still be quick on the offensive side. His goal was mostly defensive awareness. But I get the frustration because Claude's comments were strange and overly critical to me as well

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Claude should be. He talks about strong back side pressure and support, chipping pucks in deep, taking your man. He railed against Spooner and Seth Griffith scores but is the antithesis of what Claude preaches. Going to be fascinating to watch him try to do his system with these players. Can't be done

I think the best systems and coaches find a way to fit all types of players into them. In this case, I fully believe that this team is too grinder centric and it's because that's the type of player Julien covets. It's one of his greatest weaknesses, IMO. The system should be flexible enough to adjust to what skill sets you have, yet I feel Julien's rigidness to his system has created a dynamic where this team is lacking any elite scoring talent. This is why I feel that while the team may be good and compete at a high level, they are not a real challenger for the cup. They'll be outgunned eventually, like they were in the finals against Chicago.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

my dude. I like your boy knight's style but he should probably stop running the other team's goalie every game he plays :laugh:

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
my dude. I like your boy knight's style but he should probably stop running the other team's goalie every game he plays :laugh:

I was coming to the board to ask about it. Wasn't able to watch last night, and clearly can't watch tonight.

I just loaded the online gamecast and saw the goalie interference. For a second I thought I clicked on yesterday's game by accident.

Will look forward to a description. Is the little Tank just charging that hard on next every night.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I was coming to the board to ask about it. Wasn't able to watch last night, and clearly can't watch tonight.

I just loaded the online gamecast and saw the goalie interference. For a second I thought I clicked on yesterday's game by accident.

Will look forward to a description. Is the little Tank just charging that hard on next every night.

Someone who was at the game last night said it was one of those BS calls. Knight was around the net and a DET player knocked him into the goalie. Hometown call.

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
I would love to see Seth Griffith make the team … but I don't thnk there will be much room on the team where he can get 13-16 minutes per night.

LouisSleigher

Jul 6, 2013
SW Ohio
Gagne, Leino and Caron.

Interesting that this answer can be viewed as both trolling the board and yet quite plausible at the same time.

We need wingers, not centers, and Gagne, Leino, and Caron are the wingers with the most NHL experience. Furthermore, they all have played reasonably well in the pre-season.

The board expends much of its energy in a revolt against reality.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Thanks Bill. You put Fraser on the top of the list but didn't comment on him. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the youngster.

Sure bud.

I like Fraser's hustle and drive. He's a big, heavy body who goes to the dirty areas and hunts pucks. Very determined around the goal. He's got a 30 goal scorer's release, and he's going to put a lot of pucks on net.

Skating isn't a strength, but I think people are overstating his "issues" in that regard. He's certainly not fast, but he can move well enough to apply pressure. He's shown that much. He's clearly a better skater than Michael Ryder, who's had a couple 30 goal seasons. Although, I think he reminds me more of Glen Murray (heavier and more of a pure shooter), than Ryder who liked to try to dangle on occasion.

I thought he started to find his groove at the end of last year and in the playoffs. The numbers didn't pile up (3 goals in 18 games), but they don't for anybody in that "intro to the NHL" window. Now, he's a little more sure of himself, a little more comfortable and confident, and just has the 'look' of an NHL player.

Fwiw, I'd like to see him get some time on the right side. There are parts of that transition that would be a work in progress for him, but I like the idea of him coming into the zone with his blade in the middle of the ice, open for a shot...

[NHL]2013020667-292-a[/NHL]

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Interesting that this answer can be viewed as both trolling the board and yet quite plausible at the same time.

We need wingers, not centers, and Gagne, Leino, and Caron are the wingers with the most NHL experience. Furthermore, they all have played reasonably well in the pre-season.

The board expends much of its energy in a revolt against reality.

Yep. And with the exception of maaaaybe Griffith and Spooner (although we've all seen the criticism) no one has forced any hands. To me there hasn't really been a kid that's stood out so much that you say "he's GOT to be on this roster"

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
Griffith and Fraser are both exciting players for me. I've only got to see one game on gamecenter, and I have to make do with the radio for the others.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Sure bud.

I like Fraser's hustle and drive. He's a big, heavy body who goes to the dirty areas and hunts pucks. Very determined around the goal. He's got a 30 goal scorer's release, and he's going to put a lot of pucks on net.

Skating isn't a strength, but I think people are overstating his "issues" in that regard. He's certainly not fast, but he can move well enough to apply pressure. He's shown that much. He's clearly a better skater than Michael Ryder, who's had a couple 30 goal seasons. Although, I think he reminds me more of Glen Murray (heavier and more of a pure shooter), than Ryder who liked to try to dangle on occasion.

I thought he started to find his groove at the end of last year and in the playoffs. The numbers didn't pile up (3 goals in 18 games), but they don't for anybody in that "intro to the NHL" window. Now, he's a little more sure of himself, a little more comfortable and confident, and just has the 'look' of an NHL player.

Fwiw, I'd like to see him get some time on the right side. There are parts of that transition that would be a work in progress for him, but I like the idea of him coming into the zone with his blade in the middle of the ice, open for a shot...

[NHL]2013020667-292-a[/NHL]

I don't care if he's slow. If he's not quick enough to get into scoring areas, he's never going to get the chance to unleash his shot. It's a combination of his feet and his mind not being fast enough for the NHL game. Funny you show that LA goal... It was his first SOG in six games at that point.

He may be one of those players who clicks in the NHL after a certain amount of time there. I certainly am not capping his potential to improve. But we've disagreed on what we've seen so far with Fraser and I still don't understand where you're coming from.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Gagne and Pastrnak.

Pastrnak survived cuts while being injured when Knight, Griffith and other swho had strong camps were sent down. Spooner will have his chance in Campbell's spot but once Soupy is back Spooner had better have had an amazing start to the season.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I don't care if he's slow. If he's not quick enough to get into scoring areas, he's never going to get the chance to unleash his shot. It's a combination of his feet and his mind not being fast enough for the NHL game. Funny you show that LA goal... It was his first SOG in six games at that point.

He may be one of those players who clicks in the NHL after a certain amount of time there. I certainly am not capping his potential to improve. But we've disagreed on what we've seen so far with Fraser and I still don't understand where you're coming from.

Don't you think he's getting into the scoring areas now?!? He led all players in attempted shots in the MTL game. He scored against WSH, he set several screens and caused havoc in front of their goalie on the PP. He hit a post and whiffed on a shot that would have been very similar to the shot he scored on in MTL. He even got back to cover for a D and won a race to prevent a breakaway. He's been around the puck plenty in the pre-season and looks very comfortable at practice.

I think his issue getting into the scoring areas last year was a function of him learning how to read the play at NHL pace. I thought he was much better at that in the playoffs and has been better still in the pre-season. We'll see how things play out, but clearly, the Bruins think he's doing just fine in that regard right now.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Gagne and Pastrnak.

Pastrnak survived cuts while being injured when Knight, Griffith and other swho had strong camps were sent down. Spooner will have his chance in Campbell's spot but once Soupy is back Spooner had better have had an amazing start to the season.

I'm still really holding out hope for Pastrnak.

He is far behind and the deck is stacked against him but I'm taking the Lloyd Christmas approach. The team needs a splash of dash and panache up front and the kid can bring it.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I'm still really holding out hope for Pastrnak.

He is far behind and the deck is stacked against him but I'm taking the Lloyd Christmas approach. The team needs a splash of dash and panache up front and the kid can bring it.

I hope he gets at least his 9 games, I have doubts about him holding up at his experience level and weight for a whole season but it'd be great to have him in there for starters

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Don't you think he's getting into the scoring areas now?!? He led all players in attempted shots in the MTL game. He scored against WSH, he set several screens and caused havoc in front of their goalie on the PP. He hit a post and whiffed on a shot that would have been very similar to the shot he scored on in MTL. He even got back to cover for a D and won a race to prevent a breakaway. He's been around the puck plenty in the pre-season and looks very comfortable at practice.

I think his issue getting into the scoring areas last year was a function of him learning how to read the play at NHL pace. I thought he was much better at that in the playoffs and has been better still in the pre-season. We'll see how things play out, but clearly, the Bruins think he's doing just fine in that regard right now.

Could be.

I haven't seen enough of him this preseason, but did praise his play against the Caps in what little I was able to watch.

We'll see if that continues through the point in which he actually starts playing against NHL rosters. And it will be on how much he improved in the off-season... Not based on how he looked last year.

I'd love to see it.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I am hoping the Kelly to CAR rumors prove to be true as I would like to see Fraser on his natural LW beside Soderberg. However, I don't think he's a 1st line player and I question his ability to continue to get open and score against Top line talent once the NHLers are all back and he's not playing against a mish-mash of AHL/NHL talent.

I hope I'm wrong and that Fraser is fast enough to play with DK and Looch, but I fear that lack of speed catches up with Boston at some point against smaller faster teams. Iginla is not much faster than Fraser, but he's been in the league long enough to know how to get back defensively. If you need to consciously think about getting back and may need to cheat to do it, your offense is going to suffer.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
I am hoping the Kelly to CAR rumors prove to be true as I would like to see Fraser on his natural LW beside Soderberg. However, I don't think he's a 1st line player and I question his ability to continue to get open and score against Top line talent once the NHLers are all back and he's not playing against a mish-mash of AHL/NHL talent.

I hope I'm wrong and that Fraser is fast enough to play with DK and Looch, but I fear that lack of speed catches up with Boston at some point against smaller faster teams. Iginla is not much faster than Fraser, but he's been in the league long enough to know how to get back defensively. If you need to consciously think about getting back and may need to cheat to do it, your offense is going to suffer.

Why do we assume that he's supposed to be a 1st liner? Playing in Lucic's spot during his absence doesn't necessarily mean that he is targeted as a first line player. I know that I've been assuming that the 1st line is 17-46-21 until someone either blows up big or fails badly, neither of which has really happened yet. That puts Fraser on one side or the other of Soderberg (Assuming Smitty gets signed)

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Why do we assume that he's supposed to be a 1st liner? Playing in Lucic's spot during his absence doesn't necessarily mean that he is targeted as a first line player. I know that I've been assuming that the 1st line is 17-46-21 until someone either blows up big or fails badly, neither of which has really happened yet. That puts Fraser on one side or the other of Soderberg (Assuming Smitty gets signed)

This was directed at the large number of posters that I have seen calling for Fraser to be on DK's right (not left), with Loui moving back to the 3rd line. Why on earth would I think Fraser would be in Lucic's spot? He was only there the other night because Lucic had not been cleared to play yet. Give me a little more credit than that :laugh:

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
This was directed at the large number of posters that I have seen calling for Fraser to be on DK's right (not left), with Loui moving back to the 3rd line. Why on earth would I think Fraser would be in Lucic's spot? He was only there the other night because Lucic had not been cleared to play yet. Give me a little more credit than that :laugh:

Got it. :thumbu: I must have bounced between threads too often today.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

I hope the rumors are true too GD.

Fwiw, I'm not suggesting he's a first liner, or that he should play with DK and Looch. I just think he can be a nice complimentary middle6 winger with size, good board play and some finish.

During the summer I was hoping the third line would be Spooner on LW with Soder at Center and Fraser on the right, so that's where the off-wing comment came from. Spooner doesn't look likely [to get a shot at that slot right now] but Gagne may be better on the left and if Smith comes back then it would be nice to know if Fraser can play there. Then you could reunite the Bergeron line from last year, and have Gagne-Soder-Fraser.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

I think it was more a function of him playing on the right wing where he is a natural left winger. I don't care what people say (players included), the adjustment is not easy. It especially messes with a players timing on the breakout. The game is so fast, all it takes is to be off by a millisecond to botch a transition.

This preseason he has been on his natural left side. I'm skeptical that this success will continue unabated when they force him on to the right.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
Gagne and Pastrnak.

What if it was Gagne or Pastrnak? Both appear to be fragile with similar skill/upside. I like Gagne, but Pasta might be that X factor we need and could bring a spark to the team.

If both are gambles, which one is better if we consider the risks and rewards of both?

Will we regret not taking Pastrnak if Gagne is injured, and vice versa?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad