- Will develop a partying/drinking problem
- doesn't play with intensity
- likes to celebrate after him or a teammate scores
- can't speak English
- doesn't listen to Avici

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I thought Yakupov was one of the brighter playets last night. He did more in one shift than half the team did the entire game. Im talking about the shift where he had a shot on gosl and four hits. He missed three shots near the end of the game but so what. At leas his effort was there.

Gordon
And
Hemsky

Had good games.
Yakupov was alright.
The fourth line was okay..
The rest.. were brutal.

Pablo Aimar

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
HF the place of rash decisions. Nobody knew Murray would get hurt and he could easily be like a RNH of defense, intelligence+poise+skill are exceptional traits. It's tough to tell with dmen but Brodin is a no flash guy who's been very good (Suter helps). Murray is his own player, and he might be an exceptional one. In saying that i'm fine with Yakupov and his obvious upside is more appealing, but Murray could be something special too. Way to early to be giving out verdicts, especially considering the bad luck Murray encountered last year.

Murray was never as good a prospect as Yakupov, whether he got injured or not. It would have been moronic to take him and any scout who argued for it is incompetent.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
HF the place of rash decisions. Nobody knew Murray would get hurt and he could easily be like a RNH of defense, intelligence+poise+skill are exceptional traits. It's tough to tell with dmen but Brodin is a no flash guy who's been very good (Suter helps). Murray is his own player, and he might be an exceptional one. In saying that i'm fine with Yakupov and his obvious upside is more appealing, but Murray could be something special too. Way to early to be giving out verdicts, especially considering the bad luck Murray encountered last year.

No, he was more Jay Bouwmeester than he was Scott Niedermeyer. Even though that's not a bad player, taking him over a player that actually loves the game and plays with passion like Rick Nash or Nail Yakupov is beyond laughable. Everybody knew Murray was a soft player because he. Everybody knew he had the problem of not joining the rush. Everybody knew he was too afraid of taking risks to make a play. Everybody knew he doesn't have the offensive tools to be anything more than a 40 point player. A lot of scouts touted him highly, but a lot of others were very sour on him because he clearly has skill, but did not have even the slightest bit of killer instict. Most importantly, the guy is like Jay Bouwmeester in more ways than one in that he is beyond awful on the biggest stages. Everybody knew that he was THE SINGLE REASON Team Canada lost the WJC that year. Literally everybody on the team played well or at least above average that game against Russia except Ryan Murray who was getting caught out of position, making dumb giveaways, failing to win puck battles, not keeping guys away from his goalie, and actually tipping the puck into his own net too. This is not someone I want playing 25 minutes for us in a Stanley Cup Final series.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Didn't the majority of our scouts want Tyler Seguin over Taylor Hall too? I remember hearing that a lot before the draft and was actually very relieved when they picked Hall just as I was when Yakupov was announced. There were so many rumors floating around both of those drafts that the Oilers would screw it up and not take the consensus best player. There are a lot of reasons to have concerns about are scouting staff and yet they're still here.

Jun 22, 2009
The Oilers are gonna ruin this kid. Quit playing him beside Belangers and Smyths. Him and Hall showed so much chemistry at the end of the year, why the **** does Smyth deserve to be on the first line ahead of Yakupov :shakehead

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
The Oilers are gonna ruin this kid. Quit playing him beside Belangers and Smyths. Him and Hall showed so much chemistry at the end of the year, why the **** does Smyth deserve to be on the first line ahead of Yakupov :shakehead

Well, to be fair it appears Smyth is out of the top 6 now as well.

But the way they have utilized Yak is a bit strange and disappointing.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012

Oh good lord. :shakehead Yak's a garbage fire defensively. He needs to sort that out and play better without and away from the puck. He learns that he's golden.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Oh good lord. :shakehead Yak's a garbage fire defensively. He needs to sort that out and play better without and away from the puck. He learns that he's golden.

That's not a justification for putting him in the lineup behind guys like Smyth and Arcobello, especially on the PP IMO.

Scuba-Steve

Jun 8, 2006
Québec
The right pick might have been Galchenyuk. Not Murray.

With hindsight maybe but don't blame them for not taking a guy who came off of a season where he only played a total of 8 games due to an ACL injury. Way too risky at the time and Yakupov was the right pick back then.But it's obvious that if i'm the Oilers GM, i look at Galchenyuk and drool. Yakupov's gonna be a great sniper but Gally is everything they need up front.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
With hindsight maybe but don't blame them for not taking a guy who came off of a season where he only played a total of 8 games due to an ACL injury. Way too risky at the time and Yakupov was the right pick back then.But it's obvious that if i'm the Oilers GM, i look at Galchenyuk and drool. Yakupov's gonna be a great sniper but Gally is everything they need up front.

Not really, he's not really that much bigger then RNH, has a lower ceiling then RNH. He's playing with Eller who is an excellent defensive center and is playing wing where it is easier to appear competent in your zone.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

You do know Galchenyuk is playing left wing and is actually LESS physical than Yakupov right? Size doesn't do you any good if you don't use it, see: Magnus Paajarvi. What we need is either a power forward winger or a big 2-way 2nd line center. Neither of which Alex Galchenyuk has proven himself to be.

BudMaster17

Gap Inspector
Feb 12, 2008
Toronto
I was at the game tonight. Yakupov was embarrassing to watch.

Your crazy, I watched the same game from the comfort of my couch and thought he was one of the teams better players last night. He played with a lot more passion then 2/3rds of the line up. Kids only 20.... What where you doing at 20? Playing in the NHL? No? Then you should be embarrassed.

Honestly some of you guys need to ease off this team a bit, still so young they need time... And it's only been two freaking games!! If anyone has any beef it should be with Eakins... You will find out really quickly that he is not the best coach for a young team. In fact I'm predicting he is going to ruin a couple guys before it's all said and done and you will have a new head coach next year.

In the mean time if you don't want yaks what about a trade around Gards and Riems?

Jun 22, 2009

Good old Canadian boy Eberle is almost just as clueless as Yak is without the puck, yet he was never put behind plugs. Honestly do you think that Smyth gives us a better chance to win then Yakupov?

Scuba-Steve

Jun 8, 2006
Québec
Not really, he's not really that much bigger then RNH, has a lower ceiling then RNH. He's playing with Eller who is an excellent defensive center and is playing wing where it is easier to appear competent in your zone.

You do know Galchenyuk is playing left wing and is actually LESS physical than Yakupov right? Size doesn't do you any good if you don't use it, see: Magnus Paajarvi. What we need is either a power forward winger or a big 2-way 2nd line center. Neither of which Alex Galchenyuk has proven himself to be.

Yes he is playing left wing right now but it doesn't take Bob Mackenzie to realize he has all the tools to be a great 2-way center. He is effective at the LW as well but the Habs management already made it clear that they see him as a center and i think they are right. And because he doesn't go for the big hit doesn't mean he isn't physical. He uses his frame to his advantage and with his hands he is at 19 already one of the best along the boards and at protecting the puck.

But let me clear this out, i never said the Oilers made a mistake picking Yakupov.I think it was the best pick by a wide margin back then and right now it's a question of need/preference imo between him and Gally. But you can't go wrong with either.

oilz89*

Eberle and Hall were also garbage defensively when they first started playing :shakehead. Yakupovs yet to hit 80 games of NHL experience.... :help: .... Maybe give him just a BIT of time?

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Good old Canadian boy Eberle is almost just as clueless as Yak is without the puck, yet he was never put behind plugs. Honestly do you think that Smyth gives us a better chance to win then Yakupov?

Do you even watch the games? Yakupov had nearly a third more ice time than Smyth. Smyth played all of 11 minutes. :shakehead

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Eberle and Hall were also garbage defensively when they first started playing :shakehead. Yakupovs yet to hit 80 games of NHL experience.... :help: .... Maybe give him just a BIT of time?

I don't think he said anything that suggest he doesn't believe Yakupov can improve in that area, he's in his 2nd season. He's just stating that some of these young guys aren't everything they are cracked up to be, young players rarely can take a team to contender status on their own as they need time to develop complete games. A big part of the reason the Oilers have been poor is because far too many of our best players lack experience.

Oilking83

Jan 14, 2009
Oil Country

When they first started? They're still terrible in their own end! Yet nobody mentions them and everyone jumps all over the kid with only 50 games under his belt.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
The problem with Edmonton is good quality "glen cross players"

You combine the two teams it's game over. Finals time.

We need half of calgarys team

oilz89*

When they first started? They're still terrible in their own end! Yet nobody mentions them and everyone jumps all over the kid with only 50 games under his belt.

I don't think Eberle's as bad as people say in the defensive zone. His hockey IQ's way to big for him to be that big of a liability defensively

Edit: Way too high

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad