So Who Made the Yakupov Pick?

Scuba-Steve

Jun 8, 2006
Québec
Remember Seguins second season where he out scored Hall?

No, and probably it's because Seguin never outscored Hall? The only year they were close is the year where Seguin had 67 pts in 81 gp (0,83 ppg) but Hall still had a better ppg (0,87 ppg) so i don't think we can fairly say that Seguin was outscoring him.

On the other hand, right now Galchenyuk has 34 pts in 52 gp while Yakupov has 31 pts in 52 gp. In that case, i think it's fair to say that Galchenyuk is outscoring him so far. And i won't elaborate about how much more complete Alex's game is nor about their +/- rating (+19 for Gally and -7 for Nail). Nail has the potential to become as good and maybe better than Galchenyuk but right now we gotta admit that Galchenyuk is the better player.

Not Robin Brownlee

The docile tones!
Nov 17, 2008
classic knee jerk oiler fans... just watch the games and leave it at that... quit pretending you have some sort of ownership or that the team owes you something, its frustrating but also part of being a fan. shoulda woulda coulda's happen in every decision you make in life... dont worry about something you cannot control..

Billybaroo*

No, and probably it's because Seguin never outscored Hall? The only year they were close is the year where Seguin had 67 pts in 81 gp (0,83 ppg) but Hall still had a better ppg (0,87 ppg) so i don't think we can fairly say that Seguin was outscoring him.

On the other hand, right now Galchenyuk has 34 pts in 52 gp while Yakupov has 31 pts in 52 gp. In that case, i think it's fair to say that Galchenyuk is outscoring him so far. And i won't elaborate about how much more complete Alex's game is nor about their +/- rating (+19 for Gally and -7 for Nail). Nail has the potential to become as good and maybe better than Galchenyuk but right now we gotta admit that Galchenyuk is the better player.

Yeah, I guess you do, if your foundation for that "admit" is a 3 game window

dyzfunctioned

Oct 4, 2012

Haha. Love how you're using +/- to compare the two teams when Montreal had a goal differential of +22 last year while the Oilers were -8.

Now that's some flawless logic.

I guess Pacioretty is better than Stamkos since he was +8 last year while Stamkos was -4?

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
The 2011-2012 campaign was known as "fail for Nail" for a reason. He's that ****ing good. It's been four games, lets settle down here. At least give him 10 games into the year before we start jumping to conclusions.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
classic knee jerk oiler fans... just watch the games and leave it at that... quit pretending you have some sort of ownership or that the team owes you something, its frustrating but also part of being a fan. shoulda woulda coulda's happen in every decision you make in life... dont worry about something you cannot control..

I'm trying not to get on the Yakupov was the wrong pick bus. I don't think the stats tell all of the story either.

But I will say from watching last nights game. Galchenyuk ate Yakupov up and **** him out. I know, just a game.. but wow what a Hippy ass whooping that was when watching both players. A serious beat down.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Never mind Yak vs Galy, what about the Oilers thinking Grigorenko was better than Galchenyuk? Bunch of morons running the amateur scouting for the Oilers.
Let's not forget about this either. If I remember correctly, Oiler brass did not even bother to bring Galchenyuk into Edmonton to show him around but they did with Yakupov, Murray and Grigorenko. Lots of people were surprised by this. That clearly shows they thought he was no better than the third forward prospect in the group. Nothing wrong with our scouts.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I'm not going to get into the Yakupov/Galchenyuk debate, but I will say this.

As talented as Yakupov has shown he can be, what concerns me is the complete and utter absence of hockey sense I see from him. While I do believe that improving this can be done over time, I also believe that to at least some degree, it's an innate thing that you either have or you don't.

Hemsky did some odd things with the puck and could look like a lost puppy without it when he was 19, but even he never looked like such a 100% train wreck in every zone other than the offensive.

Honestly, another couple of games like this and he'll be a healthy scratch...and when was the last time a 1st overall pick suffered that indignity? I'd be surprised if it's a recent occurrence.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I haven't seen enough of Yakupov to have a strong opinion on him, but I'm pretty sure all 30 teams would have picked him 1st.

If Gally was actually healthy I think there's a chance he'd be an Oiler right now. When you're drafting first overall you can't make that risk though, it's just too crazy.

Great young player who has outperformed Yakupov drastically so far this season, it's still young though! Lots of games left.

The Dayvan Cowboy

Registered Genius
Feb 22, 2009
Honestly, another couple of games like this and he'll be a healthy scratch...and when was the last time a 1st overall pick suffered that indignity? I'd be surprised if it's a recent occurrence.

I'm almost certain Steven Stamkos sat for a few games in his rookie year.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Yep, Stamkos was in the Melrose doghouse. I do think that if Gally wasn't injured going into the 2012 draft the story line would have been Nail vrs Galchenyuk with a good chance that Gally would be an Oiler. Like other posters have stated on here, you can't take a chance with first overall, especially a guy with an ACL injury. Most of the time, once you blow your ACL you will never be the same.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
This's Hall vs Seguin all over again.

Galchenyuk would probably look like Yakupov if he was playing on the Oilers 3rd line with Ryan ******* Smyth, I have no doubt Yakupov will be superstar.

I Just ******* hope Eakins plays him on the top line with Hall and RNH for just 1 game and see what happens.

Sloth Slothersons*

This's Hall vs Seguin all over again.

Galchenyuk would probably look like Yakupov if he was playing on the Oilers 3rd line with Ryan ******* Smyth, I have no doubt Yakupov will be superstar.

I Just ******* hope Eakins plays him on the top line with Hall and RNH for just 1 game and see what happens.

Considering both Yak and Hall are playing like ****, I would expect nothing substantial to happen. Maybe a few goals against.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I still remember some of you guys declining a trade where we sent subban for the 1st overall.... Some of you said we needed to add...lmao

For the record, I think Galchenyuk will be the best player of the draft, however Yak will still be very good and serviceable to you guys for many years. I also think there was really no other choice for you guys to make, Gally hardly played the year before and would have been CRAZY risky at #1

So? Besides trolling, do you even have a point? I stand by what I said. I still wouldn't trade Yakupov for Subban straight up. Yakupov struggling for a couple games in his sophomore season doesn't suddenly make him a bust, or prove that Galchenyuk is better.

samsquanch9*

So? Besides trolling, do you even have a point? I stand by what I said. I still wouldn't trade Yakupov for Subban straight up. Yakupov struggling for a couple games in his sophomore season doesn't suddenly make him a bust, or prove that Galchenyuk is better.

you wouldnt trade yak for subban? really?

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
Yak's terrible right now. He needs to relax. He killed Gordon and Smyth last night. Maybe a night or two in the PB can give him a different perspective on the game because he has no confidence in the O zone right now and he's a disaster everywhere else. Last night was the first game I thought that he was truly awful but it's been coming. He needs to start scoring and contributing to get his confidence back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad