So Who Made the Yakupov Pick?

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Curious timing for Elliote Freidman and Bob MacKenzie to bring it up. Over a year after the fact and after a couple of stinkers from the Oilers.

I kind of thought everyone who follows the Oilers already knew this. I guess the eastern media and hockey fans had no idea.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Curious timing for Elliote Freidman and Bob MacKenzie to bring it up. Over a year after the fact and after a couple of stinkers from the Oilers.

I kind of thought everyone who follows the Oilers already knew this. I guess the eastern media and hockey fans had no idea.

what exactly did Friedman say? I saw MacKenzie's tweet I wondered how they got on the subject of the Yakupov pick

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
what exactly did Friedman say? I saw MacKenzie's tweet I wondered how they got on the subject of the Yakupov pick

I don't really know, but apparently Yakupov and/or pick was brought up on HNIC sometime. MacKenzie just added onto whatever was said. I find it hard to bring myself to watch the Leafs lovefest on HNIC every week so I often don't tune into the first game.

Yakupov was the right pick, though. There was something about Murray's game that I didn't like.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
To be clear I'm not commenting on the actual pick itself, just the process from which it was made

Interesting though, that you dusted it off and dug it out of the closet right after Yak has a sub par game.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
This reminded me of the flyers scouting staff getting filmed in that 10 minutes special, they basically kept changing their picks and almost convinced themselves that Sean Morin was at the top of their boards(I'm only slightly exaggerating) and then holmgren comes in and goes "wow, I think the pressure might be getting to you guys"

Yakupov should have always been the guy, if it ever changed we just don't have a very good scouting staff

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Kinda funny how Gags welcomed Ebs on stage..
Nobody welcomed MPS... and he got traded
Nuge welcomed Yak and Hall welcomed Nuge.
Since nobody welcomed Hall does this mean he's next to be traded?
:sarcasm:

I don't know if you remember but Lorne Davis had passed away that summer, Glenn Anderson and Sam Gagner were both on stage(supposedly his first and last picks) and Eberle was a tribute pick to Lorne Davis since that was his home town team.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Such a nothing comment from both of them, I mentioned this in the PGT last night.

Bob McKenzie refers to some higher authority. Says the majority of the scouts wanted Murray but a higher authority stepped in.

We don't know if that person is Stu MacGregor, Tambo, Lowe or Katz. It's a shot in the dark against the organization. It's not a democracy where you tally up the votes and go with the guy who has the most.

Then the thing that really gets to me. Why the hell is this even up for debate? The Oilers have an absolute stinker last night so you question the pick of Yakupov because Ryan Murray would have made a difference last night or any of last year? Dude was hurt all last year and is two games into his career playing on the bottom pairing. Meanwhile Yakupov led rookies in scoring in the NHL last year. It's silly. Not quite as silly as PJ Stock saying that Taylor Hall hasn't progressed despite finishing top 10 in scoring last year and second in the Western Conference. Now that was purely moronic.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Yak was the right pick, but does the organization have the stones to treat the pick as an asset an turning it in a player of need? there seems to be this philosophy of 'we just can't trade a player of that quality'. why not?

Yak and especially Eberle are very tradeable.

AFAIC, at this point, if I'm MacT, i'm offering any asset we've got, save Hall, RNH, Schultz and Nurse, for a goalie and D upgrade.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Such a nothing comment from both of them, I mentioned this in the PGT last night.

Bob McKenzie refers to some higher authority. Says the majority of the scouts wanted Murray but a higher authority stepped in.

We don't know if that person is Stu MacGregor, Tambo, Lowe or Katz. It's a shot in the dark against the organization. It's not a democracy where you tally up the votes and go with the guy who has the most.

Then the thing that really gets to me. Why the hell is this even up for debate? The Oilers have an absolute stinker last night so you question the pick of Yakupov because Ryan Murray would have made a difference last night or any of last year? Dude was hurt all last year and is two games into his career playing on the bottom pairing. Meanwhile Yakupov led rookies in scoring in the NHL last year. It's silly. Not quite as silly as PJ Stock saying that Taylor Hall hasn't progressed despite finishing top 10 in scoring last year and second in the Western Conference. Now that was purely moronic.

PJ Stock is an absolute idiot. I am baffled that he is even on CBC. Kinda makes me hope TSN takes over the Hockey Night in Canada contract.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Alert... Jets' fan intrusion.

I think that Yak was the right choice over Murray. It's too early in the year and the Oilers have been too short up front to judge him this season (2 games in).

That being said, the Oilers still appear to have a way to go in building a solid D.

I'm not sure how Murray will turn out, but my (biased) view is that the best D for the Oilers from that draft would have been Trouba, not Murray. Trouba plays with an edge that the Oilers appear to need. If Nurse reaches his potential, I would imagine that a D featuring Trouba and Nurse would be a solid foundation.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
PJ Stock is an absolute idiot. I am baffled that he is even on CBC. Kinda makes me hope TSN takes over the Hockey Night in Canada contract.

I was thinking the same thing last night but it was due to my displeasure with Mark Lee. CBC is dropping the ball big time. Armitage was better and I didn't think it was possible to get any worse than him.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
i wonder what yakupovs gonna think if he sees the tweets.. kind of a slap in the face no?

plus its the kids birthday today! cmon! :sarcasm:

seguino

Jan 7, 2013
Van
What the **** do you base this on? Did he throw a few too many hits compared to the rest of the team or take too many shots? Couple bad giveaways* (not shots :/) I'll give you but I make that pick all day over that ***** Murray.

hey, i wouldnt take Murray over Yak either. Just sayin he really stunk last night. wiffing on one-timers, trying to pass 10 feet from open shot on net. The shots he did take were softer than Smyths. Did he change sticks?

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Even if it was Lowe?

To be fair Lowe has had his share of good decisions. The 2006 Cup Final was 100% him being aggressive, opportunistic, and making the right moves. The problem with him is that for every great decision he makes, he makes an equally boneheaded one. He's one of those people that's smart to the point where he ends up outsmarting himself (ahem, Penner).

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
I think a lot of this is the eastern media picking a time to bash Yakupov while he's "down." They tried to bash him last year after his celebration agains the Kings, but hey - he scored.

Now he hasn't had a point in 2 games (end of the world) and he didn't have the strongest game. But you know what? Eberle, Hall, and Schultz have all struggled thus far too.

It's just their time to pick on Yak, and this is the way they choose to do it.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Yes. All the scouts who wanted Murray should be fired.

HF the place of rash decisions. Nobody knew Murray would get hurt and he could easily be like a RNH of defense, intelligence+poise+skill are exceptional traits. It's tough to tell with dmen but Brodin is a no flash guy who's been very good (Suter helps). Murray is his own player, and he might be an exceptional one. In saying that i'm fine with Yakupov and his obvious upside is more appealing, but Murray could be something special too. Way to early to be giving out verdicts, especially considering the bad luck Murray encountered last year.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
To be fair Lowe has had his share of good decisions. The 2006 Cup Final was 100% him being aggressive, opportunistic, and making the right moves. The problem with him is that for every great decision he makes, he makes an equally boneheaded one. He's one of those people that's smart to the point where he ends up outsmarting himself (ahem, Penner).

I thought Lowe was a really good coach. That is where his talent lies, and that is the position he should have stayed in.

oilz89*

What is wrong with some of you people? You call yourselves Oiler fans? After 2 games you guys throw in the towel and just give up on the team? We're missing our top 2 centres and we have a top LW playing centre. Its obvious he doesn't fit in that position. You guys need to relax and who was it that said Yakupov is like that Daigle? Are you kidding me? Alexandre Daigle? LOLOLOL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad