So Who Made the Yakupov Pick?

HotToddy

Aug 2, 2002
Visit site
Since Bobby Mac is now implying what many of us speculated...that the Oiler scouting staff wanted Ryan Murray and Yak was essentially a writ delivered from higher in the food chain, it begs the question

Who is it that demanded Yakupov be taken

Lowe? or Katz

If it was Katz I think its an awful indictment into his ownership overriding his professional scouting staff on the most important decision of the entire year for the organization

seguino

Jan 7, 2013
Van
Since Bobby Mac is now implying what many of us speculated...that the Oiler scouting staff wanted Ryan Murray and Yak was essentially a writ delivered from higher in the food chain, it begs the question

Lowe? or Katz

If it was Katz I think its an awful indictment into his ownership overriding his professional scouting staff on the most important decision of the entire year for the organization

I was at the game tonight. Yakupov was embarrassing to watch.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
What's so great about Murray? Nurse in his infancy looked WAY more impressive than good ol reliable Murray. Tired of reliable Dmen, this org needs a stud.

*****ing about Yak 2 games in? Call me when he is not playing below Smyth and Arco on the depth charts.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Yakupov was the right pick. If Katz overruled the scouting staff and Tambellini and stopped them from taking Murray then bravo for Mr. Katz.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Someone with a brain in their head. Makes me worry about the scouts if they had to be pulled off the ledge by somebody like Tambellini.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
whoever it was i would personally like to thank and shake their hand. for all the stupidity within the organization, i really do believe that they made the right choice with the yakupov pick.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

Lowe? or Katz

Let me guess, Kevin Lowe with the candle stick in the owners box?

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
To be clear I'm not commenting on the actual pick itself, just the process from which it was made

The process would be more concerning if it weren't so thrilling to think (for once) that somebody in the upper echelons of this organization is capable of rational thought.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006

What the **** do you base this on? Did he throw a few too many hits compared to the rest of the team or take too many shots? Couple bad giveaways* (not shots :/) I'll give you but I make that pick all day over that ***** Murray.

Last edited:

bleed_oil

Aug 16, 2005
Wow, exposes Edmontons scouting. How could they possibly want to pick Murray over Yak.

Lewy

May 26, 2011
Trade Yak. I promise you get a better D man than Murray.
(please god, dont let the Oil trade Yak)

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
So these same scouts who can't find anything in the later rounds almost screwed up the first overall pick? And this is why I have no faith in the current management to turn things around.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Stauffer was hinting earlier in the summer that it was the other way around, the scouts wanted Yakupov, Tambo was going to pick Murray. Hinted that Tambo was overridden, and basically a lame duck GM from that point on.

We'll probably never get the real story though.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm not sure how many of you remember, but up until the day of the draft I had heard that we weren't taking Nail. I then heard that we were taking Nail on the day of the draft. People scoffed at my info from my source and said that it was Nail all along, it wasn't as scary as that is. I'm glad that this has since come to life to vindicate that.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Stauffer was hinting earlier in the summer that it was the other way around, the scouts wanted Yakupov, Tambo was going to pick Murray. Hinted that Tambo was overridden, and basically a lame duck GM from that point on.

We'll probably never get the real story though.

My understanding was that management had different favorites. I would need to go look at what I received back then but let's just say that it was some scary **** and that there would be egg on quite a few peoples faces and not just Tambo's. Also IIRC at least some of our scouts would've had egg on their faces as well.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Yakupov was embarrassing to watch.
Hyperbole. The kid can't play a lick of defense (more evidence of how Gagner and MPS should be commended for their play last season) but he never coasts because he's lazy. He just doesn't understand the NHL game yet.

I saw one shift tonight where he sat Hamhuis on his ass twice in a row and just flat out took the puck away from him one on one like candy from a baby.

He didn't have the range on his slapper tonight, and blew his coverage several times but there were others who were worse and who should know better. I'd ease up on the criticism of a kid less than fifty games into his NHL career.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
Boy the knives sure come out fast for Yakupov in the national media. Ryan Murray would have been an awful first overall pick although Nail probably wishes all the time that he was in CBus instead. Canadian media just hates this kid. Thank god they took Yak.

We took all the right guys at #1 and Nurse was a great pick at 7 this year. This TEAM just needs to start winning so it gets some damn respect from the national media. We will be a joke until we start winning.

He just needs to relax. This whole team does. They need to go whup someone's butt, fast.

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC

I was there too. Around the puck (in camera view) he looked engaged and was throwing checks. When he had the puck he had trouble making the right decision. Away from the puck (away from the camera) he was lost and looked like he had no idea where to go. Largely a non factor away from the puck, so now I understand why the coaches have been limiting his ice time.

He's got alot of learning to do before he's a complete NHL player. But he will get there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad