So Who Made the Yakupov Pick?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Someone with a brain in their head. Makes me worry about the scouts if they had to be pulled off the ledge by somebody like Tambellini.

Agree with the bolded as for the second part who the hell knows. Tambo had them looking for character guys so who the heck knows what really was happening.

oakfield

Sep 28, 2010
Edmonton
I cannot believe this thread is here. What a joke.

Last year Yak was the greatest thing to happen to hockey. So now, two games in, he (and the entire team) have a couple of crap games and this thread pops up?

The claim that it's just a curious question about the draft process is BS.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Has nothing to do with being a Homer Yakupov was tracking in junior better as well and as defensively being a Center in junior this is stressed with the position aka Nuge . We did not draft Yak to be a shutdown winger we drafted him to score big time goals and right now he is far superior to Galy in this capacity. I will save this post for the 60th game in . Defense can be learned offense can't.

You're selling Galchenyuk short if you don't think he could of challenged for the #1 draft spot if he played in his draft year.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
You're selling Galchenyuk short if you don't think he could of challenged for the #1 draft spot if he played in his draft year.

Maybe he could of but he didn't . And I still would take Yak . There is so much similarity right now on how posters are taking these 2 games so far this season , and when Seguin go off to that hot start 2 years ago. In 2/3 years I think the separation between the 2 will be huge with Yakupov being the far superior player his hunger level is way higher than Galy and he has the tool box to go with it.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I was there too. Around the puck (in camera view) he looked engaged and was throwing checks. When he had the puck he had trouble making the right decision. Away from the puck (away from the camera) he was lost and looked like he had no idea where to go. Largely a non factor away from the puck, so now I understand why the coaches have been limiting his ice time.

He's got alot of learning to do before he's a complete NHL player. But he will get there.

I'm thinking this just may have something to do with the new system(s) Eakins is trying to implement for the Oilers and the Barons.

At the best of times, it would be difficult to make this type of change as a player (I would imagine). Add to that Yaks age, experience, and the language barrier that exists, and I can see why he'll have a bit of an issue adapting quickly.

Give him 10 or 20 games to adjust and he'll look better.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Maybe he could of but he didn't . And I still would take Yak . There is so much similarity right now on how posters are taking these 2 games so far this season , and when Seguin go off to that hot start 2 years ago. In 2/3 years I think the separation between the 2 will be huge with Yakupov being the far superior player his hunger level is way higher than Galy and he has the tool box to go with it.

The thing I like the most about Yak and Galchenyuk is I think both their strengths are in their work ethic and passion for the game. Not sure why you would think Yak has it, while Galchenyuk doesn't.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
The thing I like the most about Yak and Galchenyuk is I think both their strengths are in their work ethic and passion for the game. Not sure why you would think Yak has it, while Galchenyuk doesn't.
Never seen a player with so much excitement about the game since I started watching in the late 70's sorry I don't see this level in Galy maybe post some clips .;)

HotToddy75

Jun 13, 2011
Was the following story not posted on HFBoards at the time?

(I'm summarizing)

Murray was the scouts' and Tambo's choice. Stauffer had spent three days bracing us for a Murray pick. Then, on the morning of the draft, Justin Schultz calls Katz and says "I'm coming on July 1st, I promise". Then Katz tells Tambo to draft Yak because Schultz has given his word.

That story circulated later in the summer and we all debated whether the team missed the chance to load up on Murray and Schultz, or whether Schultz's signing was conditional upon Murray not being drafted.

Why am I the only guy that remembers this story?

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

(I'm summarizing)

Murray was the scouts' and Tambo's choice. Stauffer had spent three days bracing us for a Murray pick. Then, on the morning of the draft, Justin Schultz calls Katz and says "I'm coming on July 1st, I promise". Then Katz tells Tambo to draft Yak because Schultz has given his word.

That story circulated later in the summer and we all debated whether the team missed the chance to load up on Murray and Schultz, or whether Schultz's signing was conditional upon Murray not being drafted.

What? We were all jumping for joy that we didn't take the non-consensus #2 player over the consensus #1 player. There was not even the slightest bit of debate.

nmain37*

As an outsider watching the game on Saturday I take Yakupov 10/10. Watching him run around dishing hits against the Canucks although reckless at times is just what the Oilers need. You need skilled players who play on the edge. While Yakupov has many hiccups in his game, they will be ironed out over the years. The kid has natural skill and that edge few Oilers have. He also seems to care a hell of a lot.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
As an outsider watching the game on Saturday I take Yakupov 10/10. Watching him run around dishing hits against the Canucks although reckless at times is just what the Oilers need. You need skilled players who play on the edge. While Yakupov has many hiccups in his game, they will be ironed out over the years. The kid has natural skill and that edge few Oilers have. He also seems to care a hell of a lot.

Agreed, the kid needs work in the d zone and he needs some confidence right now, but I'm very happy that we drafted him.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

This, Yakupov doesn't have any character flaws like some of you are implying. He has not been put in a position to succeed. Boyd Gordon and Jesse Joensuu aren't prime offensive threats, so defenders can just focus Yak every time they're on the ice. He's also been put on a lot of defensive zone starts due to playing with Gordon, even though he clearly needs a lot of work defensively and should be given sheltered offensive zone starts. Also Yak on the point on the PP isn't going to work, not only is he not defensively responsible enough to handle it, but the best use of his shot is on the right half wall where he can choose to either unleash that bazooka one timer or fake it and take the puck in close to unleash that wicked wrister. He'll have more passing options on the point for sure, but we have guys like J Schultz, Petry, and Belov to handle that. Yak on the right half wall would be so much more flexible.

oilphan

Nov 21, 2005
I cannot believe this thread is here. What a joke.

Last year Yak was the greatest thing to happen to hockey. So now, two games in, he (and the entire team) have a couple of crap games and this thread pops up?

The claim that it's just a curious question about the draft process is BS.

This thread is simply a response to Bob Mac's tweet from Sat.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

(I'm summarizing)

I'm on here every day and never heard that

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Everybody knew [Murray] had the problem of not joining the rush. Everybody knew he was too afraid of taking risks to make a play.

Was just skimming through here and saw this, and... well. This just doesn't jive with how he's played so far. Indeed, he's exhibited the exact opposite of these assertions - to the point that it's had us worried and wanting to pair him with someone more solid than Wiz.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Was just skimming through here and saw this, and... well. This just doesn't jive with how he's played so far. Indeed, he's exhibited the exact opposite of these assertions - to the point that it's had us worried and wanting to pair him with someone more solid than Wiz.
Thank you for this. I hadn't heard much about how he was doing.

c0rn1

Mar 15, 2012

Yep and once they are ironed out he will pull a Kovalchuk cuz he became a star in the league and someone in the KHL offered him big $$.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I don't really know, but apparently Yakupov and/or pick was brought up on HNIC sometime. MacKenzie just added onto whatever was said. I find it hard to bring myself to watch the Leafs lovefest on HNIC every week so I often don't tune into the first game.

Yakupov was the right pick, though. There was something about Murray's game that I didn't like.

The right pick was Galchenyuk. But that's hindsight obviously. Yakupov still has lots of potential, but sadly with this gong show of an organization, there is a good chance he will never realize his potential.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The right pick was Galchenyuk. But that's hindsight obviously. Yakupov still has lots of potential, but sadly with this gong show of an organization, there is a good chance he will never realize his potential.
It's irrelevant whether Galchenyuk or Yakupov was the right pick. The entire point of this thread was that the scouting staff wanted to pick Murray first overall and they had to be over ruled by somebody higher up in the organization. There seems to be a huge disconnect between management and the scouting staff. This also seems to be supported by what happened at the draft when Mactavish traded his second round picks for later round picks to draft mostly Russians who he had scouted himself.

vickpeterson

Sep 30, 2011
HF

(I'm summarizing)

Yuup, I also remember a big part of the Draft day was that Stauffer said he saw Tambo talking to Murray's agent for a while and then the board had a "The sky is falling" moment for a few hours. Then out of nowhere we draft Yakupov and then get Schultz and this story comes out.

This is what I originally came to mind when McKenzie tweeted this Yakupov stuff.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
It's irrelevant whether Galchenyuk or Yakupov was the right pick. The entire point of this thread was that the scouting staff wanted to pick Murray first overall and they had to be over ruled by somebody higher up in the organization. There seems to be a huge disconnect between management and the scouting staff. This also seems to be supported by what happened at the draft when Mactavish traded his second round picks for later round picks to draft mostly Russians who he had scouted himself.

If they don't trust their scouts, they should bring in new ones. Seems like a pretty obvious thing to do.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

The management in ST when Murray was picked is no longer here, so I don't exactly follow.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

The right pick was Yakupov, always has been and always will be. Maybe if Galchenyuk played the whole season he would have been 1st, but you don't take a player you've only seen play 1 week in there draft season at 1st overall unless they're a Generational player like Crosby, Ovechkin, Lemieux, Gretzky, etc...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad