So now that Forsberg has officially quit

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yes he will be inducted to the HOF and very likely on the first ballot. He was a popular player who was well liked in hockey circles as far as I can tell, he won two Stanley Cups and of course he had a period as arguably the best player in the world. A few media people will make a fuss about his games played and consequently low career statistics compared to other HOF players, but I don't imagine that will hinder him all that much. Even if Lidstrom, Hasek and Jagr all decided to retire at he end of this year I can't think of anyone else who would keep Forsberg out.

Last edited:

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Considering Bure or Lindros are not there yet, he could (and IMO should) spent some time waiting.
There can be made some good arguments against him. And very strong arguments for him, of course, too.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Considering Bure or Lindros are not there yet, he could (and IMO should) spent some time waiting.

I don't see him being lumped in with them in the voters' eyes. He's played 6 more games than Bure, and has 106 more points. He's played 52 fewer games than Lindros, but has 20 more points. He was a 1st Team All-Star three times to their one each. He's in the Triple Gold Club twice. He's led the playoffs in scoring twice, and has a total of 171 points (101 more than Bure and 114 more than Lindros).

Bure and Lindros are dependent upon their What-If arguments to get into the Hall of Fame because they didn't accomplish many of the feats by which great players are judged. Forsberg has a What-If argument, true, but he already has the Hall of Fame resume without any extra hypothetical consideration because of his contributions to championship winning teams. There are more parallels to Mike Bossy than Bure or Lindros.

RECsGuy*

Yes, you are obviously right, but I dont like him.

Not that they had any authority to them to begin with, but this confirms that every one of your Forsberg-related posts means **** all. Bravo to you. :handclap:

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Not that they had any authority to them to begin with, but this confirms that every one of your Forsberg-related posts means **** all. Bravo to you. :handclap:
I have expected that recognition of someone´s post and admission of fact that I am biased will bring me respect, but you cant win on internet. :laugh:
You should find all my posts about Forsberg and marked them with red, that they means ****. It definetly helps in this ocean of crappy talk.

Briere Up There*

I think they'll induct Andreychuk and Nieuwendyk before him. After all, they have WAY more points than he does.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
In regular season numbers Forsberg's and Lindros' resumes aren't earth-shatteringly different. The two Cups and play-offs in general lift Forsberg to a somewhat higher plateau.

It seems like with every dominant team that wins multiple Cups they want the key guys in the Hall and doubtlessly Forsberg was one of the key guys on those Avs teams.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Objectivity is what matters, not whether or not you like a player. I don't like Ray Bourque, but I've posted numerous times in his favour during the endless Bourque-Lidstrom wars.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I think they'll induct Andreychuk and Nieuwendyk before him. After all, they have WAY more points than he does.

haha........I'm laughing because it's sarcastic. Which it is, right?

Anyways, it was funny.

There can be made some good arguments against him. And very strong arguments for him, of course, too.

I know you don't like him but where are these strong arguments against him? He has long passed his old rival Lindros in HHOF worth. It isn't really an issue anymore. He's a Hart winner, 3 time first team all-star, Art Ross winner and one of the best playoff performers of all-time. No, I didn't like him when he played either. I hated his diving. But I knew then and know now that the guy could play hockey

Fredrik_71

Dec 24, 2007
Sweden
I know you don't like him but where are these strong arguments against him? He has long passed his old rival Lindros in HHOF worth. It isn't really an issue anymore. He's a Hart winner, 3 time first team all-star, Art Ross winner and one of the best playoff performers of all-time. No, I didn't like him when he played either. I hated his diving. But I knew then and know now that the guy could play hockey

There are only 2 players who won a Hart that aren't in the HHOF. That makes Forsberg and Lindros destined for the HHOF when adding their other accomplishments, especially the PPG stat.

I think a lot of Forsbergs diving started after 2003 when his foot went south. It is especially clear when looking at him when he played for Philly and Nashville. He basically skated on one foot.

/Cheers

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
It has nothing to do with Forsberg's HHOF-worthiness, but since it was brought up:

He was one of the most notorious divers in the league when playing with the Avalanche, perhaps the most notorious among superstars. I finally got one of my Avs friends to agree with me with the simple observation: How is it that a guy so strong on his skates can sometimes fall down so easily when touched?

There's a reason a Forsberg was the posterboy for the mock site Divealanche.com when he was in Colorado.

Briere Up There*

Just to be sure I was kidding previously. I think a lot of people forget Lindros was actually a bit ahead of Peter when it came to PPG before his second NYR concussion. Then he became extremely timid.

And poor Pete and his wonkey foot, Pavel and his shredded knees. Pavel and Eric brought their injuries on themselves thanks to skating with the head down or just flat out skating. But Pete's ankle problems were a genetic defect, right? He still would have had an injury plagued career, but I think he would have limped to a 1000gp had his rubber ankle tendon not failed him.

HF007

Sep 9, 2008
Forsberg of course had a great NHL career but people tend to underrated his international experience and how much of an influence he is on Sweden Hockey. Probably the greatest swede (between him and lidstrom atleast).

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
It has nothing to do with Forsberg's HHOF-worthiness, but since it was brought up:

He was one of the most notorious divers in the league when playing with the Avalanche, perhaps the most notorious among superstars. I finally got one of my Avs friends to agree with me with the simple observation: How is it that a guy so strong on his skates can sometimes fall down so easily when touched?

There's a reason a Forsberg was the posterboy for the mock site Divealanche.com when he was in Colorado.

He had the Bobby Clarke 'do anything to win' mentality. But rather than breaking ankles, he dove.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Forsberg of course had a great NHL career but people tend to underrated his international experience and how much of an influence he is on Sweden Hockey. Probably the greatest swede (between him and lidstrom atleast).

It doesn't really matter here, because he'll be on par with the guys that could mean he won't get in at his first year of eligibility.

Keeping a guy like Chelios out because Forsberg was influent.... doesn't make sense.

Infinite Vision*

He had the Bobby Clarke 'do anything to win' mentality. But rather than breaking ankles, he dove.

Seriously this. As if he was the only star player that dove. Gretzky was notorious for diving, Crosby, even Lemieux.

He'll be first ballot, or atleast should be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad