F Gavin McKenna - Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL (2026 Draft)

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Pros for McKenna vs Bedard:

- skating
- size/physical attributes
- hands
- all around game

Pros for Bedard vs McKenna:

- shot (obviously) and goal scoring
- position (C vs wing)

I've been giving the edge to McKenna for more than a year now, and the INSANE progression of his play in the WHL this year (his D-2) just confirms to me he is the best prospect since McDavid.

I expect a RIDICULOUS D-1 this year where he will break records left and right and be a dominant player on the U20 squad as a double underager.

But yeah, laugh at me, we'll talk after WJC next January when he'll be Canada's MVP in his D-1 and when the hype will be out of this world. Feel free to quote me then!

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I’ll predict he won’t even go first overall in 2026. I think he is a kid that garners a ton of hype at an early age, but in his draft year he will be overly scrutinized and not go number 1.

Reactions: Michoulicious

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Pros for McKenna vs Bedard:

- skating
- size/physical attributes
- hands
- all around game

Pros for Bedard vs McKenna:

- shot (obviously) and goal scoring
- position (C vs wing)

I've been giving the edge to McKenna for more than a year now, and the INSANE progression of his play in the WHL this year (his D-2) just confirms to me he is the best prospect since McDavid.

I expect a RIDICULOUS D-1 this year where he will break records left and right and be a dominant player on the U20 squad as a double underager.

But yeah, laugh at me, we'll talk after WJC next January when he'll be Canada's MVP in his D-1 and when the hype will be out of this world. Feel free to quote me then!

Just taking a look at their 16 year old seasons, they are both incredible, but Bedards's is much, much more impressive on the whole.

Regina scored a total of 240 goals in his 16 season. Bedard had 51 of them. He had 21.25% of Regina's goals.

McKenna had 34, and MH scored 279 goals in his 16 year old season. He had 12.18% of MH's goals.

Regina accounted for a total of 379 assists in Bedards 16 year old season, he had 49 of them. 12.9%.

MH had 492 assists in McKenna's 16 year old season. McKenna had 63 of them. 12.8% of them.

Total points by players, Regina had 619 with Beddard accounting for 16.1% of the total points b y all Regina players.

Total points by players, MH had 771 with McKenna accounting for 12.4% of the total points by all MH players.

Bedards top scoring teammates were:

32 points more than 2nd

McKenna's top scoring teammates were:

6 points more than 2nd

Bedard actually made the WJ team as a 16 year old, McKenna wasn't invited to the camp. Bedard led the tournament in scoring, and won MVP in his 17 year old season, for the entire tournament, not sure why you'd use McKenna doing well at next years WJ as some gotch mpoment, Bedard was legitimately the best player in the entire tournament at the same age.

I mean Jesus, Bedard led the WHL in scoring by 36 points while playing 11 less games than the 2nd place guy in his 17 year old season, which McKenna is entering already. If you're expecting that kind of dominance, at any point prior to the draft, by McKenna, that's wild.

Last edited:

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Just taking a look at their 16 year old seasons, they are both incredible, but Bedards's is much, much more impressive on the whole.

Regina scored a total of 240 goals in his 16 season. Bedard had 51 of them. He had 21.25% of Regina's goals.

McKenna had 34, and MH scored 279 goals in his 16 year old season. He had 12.18% of MH's goals.

Regina accounted for a total of 379 assists in Bedards 16 year old season, he had 49 of them. 12.9%.

MH had 492 assists in McKenna's 16 year old season. McKenna had 63 of them. 12.8% of them.

Total points by players, Regina had 619 with Beddard accounting for 16.1% of the total points b y all Regina players.

Total points by players, MH had 771 with McKenna accounting for 12.4% of the total points by all MH players.

Bedards top scoring teammates were:

32 points more than 2nd

McKenna's top scoring teammates were:

6 points more than 2nd

Bedard actually made the WJ team as a 16 year old, McKenna wasn't invited to the camp. Bedard led the tournament in scoring, and won MVP in his 17 year old season, for the entire tournament, not sure why you'd use McKenna doing well at next years WJ as some gotch mpoment, Bedard was legitimately the best player in the entire tournament at the same age.

I mean Jesus, Bedard led the WHL in scoring by 36 points while playing 11 less games than the 2nd place guy in his 17 year old season, which McKenna is entering already. If you're expecting that kind of dominance, at any point prior to the draft, by McKenna, that's wild.
You are talking about 16, 17 or 18 y old "years", I am talking about D-2 / D-1... Bedard is born is July, while McKenna is born in December, because is McKenna 7 months older than Bedard was in his draft year.

Of course if you consider McKenna's D-2 is the same as Bedard D-1 based on that, Bedard gets the edge statistically. But you could also say than when McKenna makes the U20 in his D-1, he will blow out of the water Bedard statistically (who had 4 goals and 4 assists in 7 games) being only 7 months older than him.

This can go both way. Bedard is not a FULL YEAR younger than McKenna, however this arbitrary "16" or "17" years tends to portray it.

We can say that McKenna full year production in his D-2 is equivalent to Bedard's full year production in his D-1 (1.59 PPG vs 1.61 PPG).

Last edited:

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I’ll predict he won’t even go first overall in 2026. I think he is a kid that garners a ton of hype at an early age, but in his draft year he will be overly scrutinized and not go number 1.
I will quote you in June 2026.

You understand that kid's PPG is toping almost all draft eligibles forward in his league (2024) in his draft minus 2 year?

Catton (projected top 10-15 pick in 2024): 1.71 PPG
Iginla (projected top 10-15 pick in 2024): 1.31 PPG
Lindstrom (projected top 5-10 pick in 2024): 1.44 PPG

McKenna (2026 draft eligible): 1.59 PPG

To compare, Bedard had a production of 1.86 PPG in his shorten D-2 in the WHL and then 1.61 in his D-1.

Saying Bedard is better than him is something, saying that McKenna won't go #1 OA in 2026 is just ridiculous.

No way that kid is not #1 OA, barring like a career ending injury or something.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You are talking about 16, 17 or 18 y old "years", I am talking about D-2 / D-1... Bedard is born is July, while McKenna is born in December, because is McKenna 7 months older than Bedard was in his draft year.

Of course if you consider McKenna's D-2 is the same as Bedard D-1 based on that, Bedard gets the edge statistically. But you could also say than when McKenna makes the U20 in his D-1, he will blow out of the water Bedard statistically (who had 4 goals and 4 assists in 7 games) being only 7 months older than him.

This can go both way. Bedard is not a FULL YEAR younger than McKenna, however this arbitrary "16" or "17" years tends to portray it.
It can't, unless you don't understand how the World Junior's works

And if you really think McKenna is going to put up 23 points in the Wrold Juniors, in any year...

I mean, Bedard put up 13 points in 7 games as a 16 year old.

Reactions: prongertheman9

Starships

Jul 1, 2014
Guy has disgusting skill, a great shot, excellent vision, is a wonderful skater and has a good base to eventually add size to...

He gon be good

Reactions: jj cale

pockets321

May 4, 2022

Lol what top prospect doesn't get overly scrutinized at the draft? the kid doesn't really have any weaknesses to his game and he will easily go #1.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
It can't, unless you dion't understand how the World Junior's works
When talking about generational talents like Bedard and McKenna, I'm looking at draft year eligibility and how they compare to their draft peers. Feel free to use January 1st as the arbitrary "line" if you want, I won't.

If McKenna was born 12 days later all your argument would fall apart, you realize that?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
When talking about generational talents like Bedard and McKenna, I'm looking at draft year eligibility and how they compare to their draft peers. Feel free to use January 1st as the arbitrary "line" if you want, I won't.
It's not an arbitrary line.

The World Juniors is played as 16, 17, 18, and 19 year olds. Bedard made the team his first year eligible, McKenna never.

Want to talk about his WHL play as D-2 or -1, be my guest.

Worldd Juniors does not work that way

If you really think the 5 month difference in their birthyears is monumental, be my guest

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I will quote you in June 2026.

You understand that kid's PPG is toping almost all draft eligibles forward in his league (2024) in his draft minus 2 year?

Catton (projected top 10-15 pick in 2024): 1.71 PPG
Iginla (projected top 10-15 pick in 2024): 1.31 PPG
Lindstrom (projected top 5-10 pick in 2024): 1.44 PPG

McKenna (2026 draft eligible): 1.59 PPG

To compare, Bedard had a production of 1.86 PPG in his shorten D-2 in the WHL and then 1.61 in his D-1.

Saying Bedard is better than him is something, saying that McKenna won't go #1 OA in 2026 is just ridiculous.

No way that kid is not #1 OA, barring like a career ending injury or something.
I will happily eat crow over saying a player won’t go #1 3 years from their draft date. Just because he’s the best now, doesn’t mean he will be on draft day. He’s a fantastic talent, but I take a field over him right now. It’s just basic probability.
Lol what top prospect doesn't get overly scrutinized at the draft? the kid doesn't really have any weaknesses to his game and he will easily go #1.
Don’t think “easily” there are still MANY 2008 born players that haven’t had their chance at the spotlight like McKenna has. The 2008 crop of players haven’t even entered their respective CHL leagues and a lot of international talent isn’t talked about heavy until next year. A lot of time to go before the draft.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
It's not an arbitrary line.

The World Juniors is played as 16, 17, 18, and 19 year olds. Bedard made the team his first year eligible, McKenna never.

Want to talk about his WHL play as D-2 or -1, be my guest.

Worldd Juniors does not work that way

If you really think the 5 month difference in their birthyears is monumental, be my guest
So if McKenna was born 12 days later, the comparison would work, right?

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
For McKenna not to go 1st in 2026 someone is going to have to improve an insane amount because he's special. Not quite Bedard level yet but he'll put up numbers on a loaded Tigers team next year. Only thing that is negative about having so much talent is numbers won't be as eye popping because they can spread around the TOI

Reactions: Dominance

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
So if McKenna was born 12 days later, the comparison would work, right?
Yes, because he would be a 1st time eligible...He'd be going into his 16 year old season

It's really not rocket science

He's going into his age groups 2nd year of CHL and WJ eligibility, that is ALL that matters when talking about the WJ with regards to making Team Canada

His drarft year has absolutely nothing to do with his WJ years. He's going into his 17 year old WJ season, he never made the team as a 16 year old

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Yes, because he would be a 1st time eligible...He'd be going into his 16 year old season

It's really not rocket science

He's going into his age groups 2nd year of CHL and WJ eligibility, that is ALL that matters when talking about the WJ with regards to making Team Canada

His drarft year has absolutely nothing to do with his WJ years. He's going into his 17 year old WJ season, he never made the team as a 16 year old
Funny how you say that after making a long post using "16-17 y old seasons" in the WHL to compare them even if the WHL doesn't use January 1st as the "line". It goes both ways.

Then you agree with me that if McKenna beats Bedard 1.61 PPG in his D-1 in the WHL next season (he's at 1.59 PPG in his D-2 over a full season of play), then he'll be a superior player statistically?

Anyways, personally I prefer to look how a player performs against vs draft how his eligible peers performs in the same context.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Funny how you say that after making a long post using "16-17 y old seasons" in the WHL to compare them even if the WHL doesn't use January 1st as the "line". It goes both ways.

Then you agree with me that if McKenna beats Bedard 1.61 PPG in his D-1 in the WHL next season (he's at 1.59 PPG in his D-2 over a full season of play), then he'll be a superior player statistically?

Anyways, personally I prefer to look how a player performs against his draft eligible peers.
The WHL does use Jan 1st as their line, like the entire CHL :laugh:. Bedard was granted exceptional status for his 15 year old season, McKenna wasn't, whether agreed uponor not, I think he should have been

C'mon man

The NHL draft is the only one who doesn't, because of insurance reasons with letting 17 year olds partake in NHL games, only those born before the start of training camp (there abouts, Sept 16th ) are eligible

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
The WHL does use Jan 1st as their line, like the entire CHL :laugh:

C'mon man
Meant the NHL. Anyways, you get the point.

NHL scouts have to look at a draft with the players they can draft in that draft, against other players you can draft in that draft.

Bedard's and McKenna's performances are to be considered vs their draft year comparables. So far it is very close how they performed in their draft -2 years, we'll see next year.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Meant the NHL. Anyways, you get the point.

NHL scouts have to look at a draft with the players they can draft in that draft, against other players you can draft in that draft.

Bedard's and McKenna's performances are to be considered vs their draft year comparables. So far it is very close how they performed in their draft -2 years, we'll see next year.

If Bedard is putting up 2.5+ ppg as a 17 year old July born, what's he doing as an 18 year old December born?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
If Bedard is putting up 2.5+ ppg as a 17 year old July born, what's he doing as an 18 year old December born?
I guess we'll never know!

We'll have to look at each game individually they played at the same age, against the same opposition and with the same supporting cast, in the same meteorological conditions and under the same lunar cycle... If we can't do that, I guess we can't compare them.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I guess we'll never know!

We'll have to look at each game individually they played at the same age, against the same opposition and with the same supporting cast, in the same meteorological conditions and under the same lunar cycle... If we can't do that, I guess we can't compare them.
Well, we do have them playing their same aged seasons, in the same league, against the same aged players, and eligible for the same national Junior teams.

But hey, why keep things simple!

Both are going to be superstar 1st overall picks. Bedard had shown much more, at the same age, thus far

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
For McKenna not to go 1st in 2026 someone is going to have to improve an insane amount because he's special.
Too early to say that. Can be said more reliability by the end of the year, but we need to see the 2008 borns go through their first season of junior to know this.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Well, we do have them playing their same aged seasons, in the same league, against the same aged players, and eligible for the same national Junior teams.

But hey, why keep things simple!
But if we do that, Bedard gets an unfair advantage because he'd be older by about 5 months than McKenna during the comparison, which is huge, no? I mean, it's about the same as the difference of how older McKenna is vs Bedard in their D-2 (7 months) that we can't use to compare them.

It is circular. I guess we'll have to wait and see McKenna's D-1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad