So now that Forsberg has officially quit

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Forsberg (Foppa or Floppa depending on your POV) will get into the HHOF some day. He was a great player even though he set back Nashville a few seasons of development. They gave up too much for an old man with one leg who scored only 2 goals for them. The diving is enough reason for me to pass over him on the first ballot.

Infinite Vision*

Yes, the people who are less likely to have actually watched both players play a large number of games.

The ones who live in Sweden, you mean? Who live in a time zone that prohibits them from watching relevant games on a regular basis?

I was just making a point that in Sweden Forsberg is seen as the greatest Swedish player not Lidstrom. Are you trying to tell me you or anyone else can tell from watching games that Lidstrom is better than Forsberg? Well that would be a ridiculous claim because it's entirely arguable who's better, and the reason the general consensus is Lidstrom is simply because he's had the healthier and more valuable career. On a per game basis Forsberg was simply a better player IMO.

Nov 26, 2010
NJ
Forsberg was injured too much in his career, same goes with Lindros. It's sad to see two unbelievable talents not used at their best potential for many years. However I think they will both get in, I'm not so sure about first ballot though.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I was just making a point that in Sweden Forsberg is seen as the greatest Swedish player not Lidstrom. Are you trying to tell me you or anyone else can tell from watching games that Lidstrom is better than Forsberg? Well that would be a ridiculous claim because it's entirely arguable who's better, and the reason the general consensus is Lidstrom is simply because he's had the healthier and more valuable career. On a per game basis Forsberg was simply a better player IMO.

If Forsberg did what he did for 2.5X as many games (with a career curve on that, of course), I am pretty sure I'd still have him behind Lidstrom. But I could see others having him ahead. As it is now - he has no case.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

I would put them very close on a per game basis... it could go either way. Lidstrom's longevity ultimately does count for something though, which puts him comfortably ahead of Forsberg.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Lidstrom had locked down the title of best Swedish player before the post-lockout era even began. 3 Norris Trophies, 6 First-Team All-Stars, 3 Stanley Cups, and a Conn Smythe Trophy. And that was prior to the lockout. Forsberg is a distant second, but that speaks more about how dominant Lidstrom has been than anything else. Forsberg was a dominant player as well, but he did become slightly over-rated by fans who put a little too much weight behind his point/game averages in player comparisons. However, he was still a sure-fire HHOF player and while we are in an era where Pavel Datsyuk is glorified well beyond his ability, Forsberg was one of the greatest of all-time and I'll take the Forsberg/Jagr comparisons, as ill-conceived as they were, over the downright ludicrous Crosby/Datsyuk comparison.

Last edited:

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Ha! Leave it to Blades of Glory to take a shot at Datsyuk in a thread that has nothing to do with him.

plusandminus

Mar 7, 2011
Regarding Forsberg, I yesterday wrote a post in:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=810538&page=4
I quote parts of it, as it seems valid here (hope it's OK).

Forsberg's career basically lasted from 1995-2004, which makes it hard for him when people looks simply on points gained during each decade.

During that time, Forsberg had pretty impressive stats...
Regular season:
* Total +/- : 1st (better than every other player in the league)
* +/- per game: 1st (at least from what I could see)
* Pts per game: 3rd (behind Mario and Jagr)
* Assists per game: 1st (if I remember correctly)

Playoffs:
* Total +/-: 1st (with +47, ahead of C.Lemieux with +35)
* +/- per game: 1st
* Total points: 2nd (behind Sakic)
* Pts per game: 3rd (not far behind Jagr and Mario)
* Total goals: 2nd (behind Sakic)
* Goals per game: 5th(!)
* Total assists: 1st
* Assists per game: 2nd (Mario .732, Forsberg .729)

Playoff stats could be also written as (I wish I could make tables):
Category....Total...Per game
+/-..........1st.....1st
Points.......2nd.....3rd
Goals........2nd.... 5th
Assists......1st.....2nd

I think it's fair to say he during his 10 years was, if not the best, one of the top-4 forwards (along with Jagr and Sakic, but probably behind a fairly healthy Mario).

Definitely a candidate for best alltime player born in the 70s.

4th alltime in assists per game.
10th alltime in points per game.

Winner of Calder, Art Ross and Hart. Nominated for Selke.
3 times elected as leagues best center (=1st all star team).
2 times leading playoff scorer.
3 times leading playoff scorer if counting pts per game.
2 times in a row most regular season pts per game. (Also had 14 points in 9 games = 1.56 pts/game a couple of seasons later.)
2 Stanley Cups.

He also showed he wasn't limited to a certain environment (like some other players, Markus Naslund sort of comes to mind). He actually had great stats in Philly too (1.15 pts/game). Regarding Nashville, he obviously was injured (foot, etc). Last time (not counting the two games this season) in the NHL, he had 14 points in 9 games (1.56 pts/game).

Internationally:
* 2 olympic gold medals (on first one he scored the gold medal winning goal in the shootout, in the second he assisted on the gold medal winning goal).
* 2 world championship gold medals.
* Several more good tournaments (World Cup, World Championships), including being selected to all star teams.
* Still holds the record for most points in a single World Junior World Cup, with 31 pts in 7 games (21 points in 6 games if one wants to exclude his 10 pts game vs Japan). Noone has been near (although of course guys like Crosby might have been, had they not played in the NHL instead).

Domestic (MoDo):
* Last season, playing with bad foot, had most pts per game in the league. He did that while playing for free.
* Before going to NHL, was elected as best player in the league

Recognition in Sweden:
* Widely considered the best Swedish hockey player ever (Lidstrom aren't really near, probably at least partly for not being as visible in their national team or their national league).

Charity/Other:
* For example, co-founded Ice Breakers, playing exhibition games and giving money to disabled children.
* Known to be loyal to his teams

Last edited:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Forsberg was 1 heck of a player, that's for sure. Yeah he's a 1st ballot hall of famer. It's scary to think how good he could have been had it not been for injuries.

Lexus

OWN THE MOMENT.
Jan 29, 2009
Seriously this. As if he was the only star player that dove. Gretzky was notorious for diving, Crosby, even Lemieux.

He'll be first ballot, or atleast should be.

I can honestly say that Lemieux (best player i've ever seen) dove alot, for being a star-player that is.. and more often than Forsberg did. But they had such an win-menatality that they would do anything to win games. Also, it's easy for other fanbases to pick on these guy's because they were the best players, they didn't dive more than anyone else, but just because they were among the best in the game they got easy picked on.

Crosby for example, he has had his fair share of dives, probably more times than both above already, especially in his early years.
And everyone here can agree on that he's been taking more **** than anyone since the lockout about his antics (diving, whining etc.), same here.. he didn't do it more than anyone else, but when he did, there was thousands and thousands of posts/media columns in a couple of minutes on the net raging about it.

No-one is interested in reading about a Scott Nichol dive, but almost everyone is interested on reading about a Crosby dive.

They are/were also among the most abused players in the game, especially Forsberg (during the dead-puck era, each shift he had like 2-3 guys water-skiing after him)

Sorry for my bad english. :laugh:

Anyway.. On to Forsberg
Let's forget about stats for a minute, you can't measure how good a player was on statistics alone. Where's the stats for how good they were defensively? how they played without the puck? how they controlled the flow of the game? how much fear they would strike to their opponents by delivering huge body checks, etc.?

For those who saw Forsberg play on a regular basis wouldn't hesitate to induct him into the Hall of Fame on the first ballot.

Awards, Honors & Stats

- 2x Stanley Cup
- 2x Olympic Gold Medals
- 2x World Championship Gold Medals
(Enough titles to join the "Triple Gold Club" twice, a feat that only 2 other players in history has accomplished)
- Art Ross Trophy
- Hart Trophy
- Calder Trophy
- Bud Light Plus-Minus Award
- 1995 NHL All-Rookie Team (1st)
- 1998 NHL All-Star Team (1st)
- 1999 NHL All-Star Team (1st)
- 2003 NHL All-Star Team (1st)
- 2x Scoring Titles in the playoffs despite missing the finals. (only player in history to do so)
- 4th All-Time in assists/game. (behind only Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr - 3rd all-time in adjusted assists/game)
- 8th All-Time in points/game. (Minimum 500GP)
- 4th All-Time in adjusted points/game
- 3rd All-Time in adjusted points/game in the playoffs, (behind only Gretzky & Lemieux)
- All-Time scoring record in a single World Junior Championship tournament (31 points in only 7 games.)
- Ranked as the best player in the world by "The Hockey News" in 2002-2003 and 2003-2004.
- 6th all-time in +/- in the playoffs, behind only players like Gretzky, Kurri, Gregg, Anderson and Huddy (all of them linemates in the 80's Oilers dynasty years)

Other

- TV-Pucken Champion | (1988-1989)
- J18 SM Gold Medal | (1990-1991)
- J20 SM Gold Medal | (1991-1992)
- U20 WJC Silver Medal | (1991-1992)
- World Championship Gold Medal | (1991-1992)
- Swedish Elite Legue (Elitserien) "Guldpucken" | (1992-1993)
- Swedish Elite Legue (Elitserien) Most Valuable Player - "Guldhjälmen" | (1992-1993)
- J20 SM Gold Medal | (1992-1993)
- Swedish Junior Hockey Player of the Year | (1992-1993)
- U20 WJC All-Star Team | (1992-1993)
- U20 WJC Best Forward | (1992-1993)
- U20 WJC Most Assists (24) | (1992-1993)
- U20 WJC Most Points (31) | (1992-1993)
- U20 WJC Silver Medal | (1992-1993)
- World Championship Silver Medal | (1992-1993)
- Swedish Elite Legue (Elitserien) Best Player "Guldpucken | (1993-1994)
- Swedish Elite Legue (Elitserien) Most Goals Playoffs (9) | (1993-1994)
- Swedish Elite Legue (Elitserien) Most Valuable Player "Guldhjälmen" | (1993-1994)
- Swedish Elite Legue (Elitserien) SM-silver Medal | (1993-1994)
- NHL Best Swedish Player "Viking Award" | (1995-1996)
- NHL Most Assists Playoffs (12) | 1996-1997
- NHL Best Swedish Player "Viking Award" | 1997-1998
- World Championship All-Star Team | 1997-1998
- World Championship Best Forward | 1997-1998
- World Championship Gold Medal | 1997-1998
- World Championship Most Goals (6) | 1997-1998
- World Championship Most Points (11) | 1997-1998
- NHL Best Swedish Player "Viking Award" | 1998-1999
- NHL First All-Star Team | 1998-1999
- NHL Most Assists Playoffs (16) | 1998-1999
- NHL Most Points Playoffs (24) | 1998-1999
- NHL Most Assists Playoffs (18) | 2001-2002
- NHL Most Goals Playoffs (9) | 2001-2002
- NHL Most Points Playoffs (27) | 2001-2002
- World Championship All-Star Team | 2002-2003
- World Championship Silver Medal | 2002-2003
- World Championship Silver Medal | 2003-2004

Some quotes on Forsberg.

"Peter Forsberg is one of the best hockey players that ever played the game, and I actually don't think that anyone has been so good as Peter was during his peak, I've played against him alot, so I should know." -- Vjatjeslav Fetisov (2009)

"Some of the stuff he does is just ridiculous. Jaromir Jagr is big and strong like Forsberg, but Jagr doesn't fight back if you play him tough like Forsberg does. "I think he's the toughest player in the game to play against." -- Derian Hatcher (1999)

"For me, an agitator is somebody who controls the emotion of the game," And Peter definitely controls the emotion of the game for them. "The only thing that stopped Forsberg is that he ran out of gas when they double- and tripleshifted him, and he wasn't able to use his speed, plus his strength," Hitchcock says. "I remember one time he kept the puck in our end for 40, maybe 50 seconds, and we couldn't get the thing away from him. His ability to knock Derian Hatcher on his butt while giving up 40 pounds shows how he can completely control and dominate a game. He's a player with skill and talent who occasionally goes maniacal. Boy, he gets a really strange look in his eyes. It's like the same steely glare that Mark Messier always gets, and you don't want to be anywhere near him." -- Ken Hitchcock (2000)

At the HHOF induction, was asked the question on which player he thinks it's the best he ever played against. -- I would probably say that Forsberg is the best player I ever played against" -- Scott Stevens (2007)

"Obviously one of the best players in the league the last 15 years, a guy who really controlled the play when he was on the ice, and there's only a handful of guy's in the league at any given era that really, actually controlled the play when the're where on the ice, just his combination of skill, strenght, determinition, and a bit of meanness or alot of meanness actually made him one of the best players to play." -- Steve Yzerman 2006

"Peter is the best all-around player in the NHL, bar none. He's a competitor. He's the ultimate warrior. His hands are electric. He's one of the smartest players on the ice, and he knows where everybody is. He always makes the right play, and he even makes the plays you don't think he can make. He's so fast on his feet and so powerful. And he's mean. The guy is so talented, he's disgusting to watch." -- Jeremy Roenick (2000)

"He's a coach's dream. The more crucial the time in a game or a series, the tougher he gets. I think sometimes he's able to flip on a switch in his mind and be at a different level than everyone else. " -- Ray Bourque (1999)

Larry Wigge -- "It was late in the Eastern Conference finals, and I was talking about nastiness and skill with Devils right winger Claude Lemieux. He clearly was enjoying the conversation. As I'm talking to the guy some call the most hated player in the NHL, I ask him, "If you could be anyone else in hockey, who would it be?" That's easy. Peter Forsberg," Lemieux says. "I could still be mean and nasty, but if I had all of the skills that he has, I might have won five or six Stanley Cups by now. "I can only dream of skating like Peter. Either that or buy some rocket-powered skates." "(After seeing) a Michael Jordan or a Wayne Gretzky, you think you've seen it all," Lemieux says, "and then Peter shows you something entirely new. "It's the way he creates space, uses space. It's the way he sees the ice. It's the way he picks up speed even after he picks up the puck. And it's the meanness, the nastiness." -- Claude Lemieux (2000)

"He was the most talented guy I ever played with, for just pure raw talent. But more than that, he was a winner and a total gamer, he just wanted to win. He didn't care who scored all the goals or who got all the credit. He just wanted to win, and that's why his teams won as much as they did. I was very fortunate to play with one of the best players to ever play the game." - Joe Sakic (2011)

"Peter Forsberg's skills and determination made him one of the most powerful forwards in the NHL during the best years of his career. Hearing of his retirement is sad news but one day every athlete has to come to this decision. He should be very proud of all he accomplished throughout his career." -- Patrick Roy (2011)

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Forsberg's a mortal lock for the HHOF. The only way he doesn't go in first ballot is if there's such a strong class of other first-ballot candidates, as someone mentioned earlier.

There are two reasons to keep him out of the HHOF, but neither hold water. One is personal opinion. Don't allow your opinion of Forsberg cloud your judgements of him. Was he a dirty player? Absolutely. He used the blade of his stick for far more than just stick-handling, playmaking and scoring. But if you watch him objectively, you'll see that he's one of the best to enter the game in the last 20 years.

The other is longevity. He played 167 games after he won the Hart Trophy at age 29 in 2003. That's a little more than two seasons. So I can understand the longevity argument.

But to compare him with Bure and Lindros? Bure was great at one thing: scoring goals. And, at times, he did it to the detriment of his team, because he didn't make good use of his linemates, he didn't backcheck, and he didn't contribute consistently when the puck wasn't on his stick. Peter Forsberg was great at a lot of things, maybe everything.

Lindros is a polarizing guy. Lots of people have him as an HHOFer. Lots don't. A lot of reasons to support his candidacy. A lot of reasons to snub him. A lot of people don't like Forsberg, but outside of a lack of game action following his 30th birthday, there really isn't a reason to vote against Forsberg, unless, of course, he's up against a stacked field.

The interesting thing about Forsberg is that when his HHOF candidacy comes up in 2014, we'll be seven years removed from his last season as an NHL regular. In most cases, players are three years removed. I find that the best time to evaluate a player is in that five to 10 years after his career. We aren't over-rating him because he's active. We aren't underrating him because he's active. And we don't need to pull out the stats to evaluate him.

If he's up against Brodeur, Chelios, Hasek and Lidstrom for candidacy, Forsberg won't get in. If he's up against two or three of them, he will. I think he'd get in ahead of Fedorov. No matter your definition of greatness or HHOF candidacy, you should be voting for Forsberg. You want peak value? He has it. You want media-voted awards and accolades? He has them. You want numbers? The only one he lacks is games played.

For me, I evaluate the player. He was a freak, an incredible player who, in turn, did incredible things for an 11-season span. He dominated all aspects of the game at all times of the season.

He missed an entire season in 2001-02, and then stepped into Colorado's line-up and was the best player in the 2002 playoffs. He didn't play in the NHL for 10 1/2 months from May 2001 to April 2002 . Yet the moment he stepped on the ice, the guy who should have been in pre-season form, from a game shape perspective, was better than the guys who were in late season form. Incredible.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Incidentally, on the Lidstrom vs. Forsberg debate...

I think Lidstrom was the better player, had the better career, did more in the NHL, etc. I think you could make a case for him as the greatest European-born, European-trained NHL player ever. He's not flaky like Jagr, and he's more reliable than Hasek. He never quit on his team, never asked for a trade. Brings it every night. If those three - Lidstrom, Jagr, Hasek - wind up on the HHOF ballot together, I think most in the room would pick Lidstrom first, although all three would certainly get in.

In terms of what he means to Swedish hockey, for whatever reason, Forsberg seems to get the nod, and it boils down to one thing: The Goal. That goal in the 1994 Olympics, during the shootout against Canada, is one of the most celebrated moments in Swedish sport history. It's on a friggin' postage stamp. It should have never happened - Canada twice failed to finish off the Swedes when they had golden opportunities (once in regulation, once in the shootout, and besides, the shootout should never be used in that setting, or any setting, for what it's worth).

But when you consider that goal, and that gold medal, and all that it means to Swedish hockey and Swedish sport, and then all that Forsberg did in the NHL, yeah, I can see why Swedes would view Forsberg as the greatest Swedish player ever, even though Lidstrom was the better player.

Slapshooter

Apr 25, 2007
Forsberg of course had a great NHL career but people tend to underrated his international experience and how much of an influence he is on Sweden Hockey. Probably the greatest swede (between him and lidstrom atleast).

Talking about international games, I always felt that Mats Sundin outplayed Forsberg when they were both in Team Sweden.

But Forsberg has that legendary olympic gold winning shootout goal, so Swedes probably rank him better in that category too.

Lead Role in a Cage

Mar 27, 2008
Incidentally, on the Lidstrom vs. Forsberg debate...

I think Lidstrom was the better player, had the better career, did more in the NHL, etc. I think you could make a case for him as the greatest European-born, European-trained NHL player ever. He's not flaky like Jagr, and he's more reliable than Hasek. He never quit on his team, never asked for a trade. Brings it every night. If those three - Lidstrom, Jagr, Hasek - wind up on the HHOF ballot together, I think most in the room would pick Lidstrom first, although all three would certainly get in.

In terms of what he means to Swedish hockey, for whatever reason, Forsberg seems to get the nod, and it boils down to one thing: The Goal. That goal in the 1994 Olympics, during the shootout against Canada, is one of the most celebrated moments in Swedish sport history. It's on a friggin' postage stamp. It should have never happened - Canada twice failed to finish off the Swedes when they had golden opportunities (once in regulation, once in the shootout, and besides, the shootout should never be used in that setting, or any setting, for what it's worth).

But when you consider that goal, and that gold medal, and all that it means to Swedish hockey and Swedish sport, and then all that Forsberg did in the NHL, yeah, I can see why Swedes would view Forsberg as the greatest Swedish player ever, even though Lidstrom was the better player.

I'd like to add that Lidstrom's appearances in the national team, both 1998 and 2002, not exactly were seen as successful. On the contrary really, and not until 2006 I think the common Swede realised how good he was/is.

Yes the trophies and the cups arrived way before. But finishing high on scoring list, while at the same time being an absolutely electrifying (can't find a better word just now) player and winning with the Swedish NT in the World Championship made it easy to like or appreciate one player more than the other.

Add to this the fact that the Red Wings always advanced far which meant the most Swedes never got a chance to watch him play. The 90's and early 00's didn't offer the same kind of exposure of the NHL for Swedes and ergo the rare occasion we got to watch any of them play was in the NT, unless you paid good money for cable TV and had time to burn during the nights. Which some had.

Perhaps it took some time for the NHL to appreciate Lidstrom. For Swedes in general it took even longer.

Last edited:

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
I don't think you can understate the importance of Forsberg staying in Sweden until he was considered to be the very best player in the league has had to the attention he has been given by the media in Sweden and to his popularity.

Players like Sundin, Alfredsson and Lidström were good but not great SEL players when they left for the NHL, this meant that neither the media nor the fans had really recognised their talents or hyped them before they went into the media black hole that the NHL was and to some extent still is in Sweden.
This meant that they had to earn all their media attention, and the only realistic way for them to do that is through international tournaments. Sundin did this very quickly by lining up stellar performances during multiple World Championships, Lidström had his proper breakthrough during the 2006 Olympics while Alfredsson still hasn't had his mainstream breakthrough and likely never will. Your average (non-NHL fan) Swede will probably think of a guy like Jörgen Jönsson as a better/more notable player than him.

Forsberg was so hyped from his time with Modo that both the media and the average fan wanted to follow his progress in the NHL from the very moment he got there. The same thing can be seen to a lesser extent with Zetterberg and Lundqvist who were both established stars in Sweden before going to the NHL.

plusandminus

Mar 7, 2011
Talking about international games, I always felt that Mats Sundin outplayed Forsberg when they were both in Team Sweden.

But Forsberg has that legendary olympic gold winning shootout goal, so Swedes probably rank him better in that category too.

I know many Swedes agree on that. The debate regarding best Swede (ever) is usually a battle between Forsberg and Sundin, rather than Lidstrom. This is perhaps mainly due to contributions for their national team, where Lidstrom hasn't exactlly been a superstar. It seems most Swedes actually think of Kenny Jonsson as the most liked, and perhaps best defenceman during the last years. Kenny also was better than Lidstrom during the Olympics 2006, and even was elected best defenseman in the tournament (if I remember right), despite at the time playing in Sweden's 2nd highest league. Regarding Sundin, it should be noted that he very often led his NHL teams in scoring (lots of seasons in a row!), and always performed great when playing for Sweden.

Regarding the penalty shot in 1994, it obviously brings fond memories to Swedes. It might be noted that in comparison to Forsberg, the other hero in the sequense - Tommy Salo - today stands for negative associations. Despite being a great goalie for Sweden, including helping them winning the World Championship after 0-0 and 1-0 in the best-of-two-games finals vs Finland, Salo is more connected to allowing a long shot goal vs Belarus. Very unfair, it can seem.
Something forgotten is also that both Salo and Lidstrom helped Swedish team Vasteras to during a season win their "president's trophy". Vasteras before and after that has not been in their Elite League.

Anyway, one has to understand that Forsberg - at least in people's eyes - have contributed so much more than Lidstrom on the national team, and domestic, arena.

Finally, please note my statistics above regarding Forsberg's career. Note how he for that 10 year period is an overall top-3 in basically every category, like scoring pts, having great +/-, performing in the playoffs, etc.

Noldo

May 28, 2007
Forsberg should be well deserving Hall of Famer, most likely first ballot. Could be interesting case if for example Lidström, Modano and Hasek are eligible in the same year (I doubt Jagr or Brodeur retire after this season).

Nevertheless, I really despise the common theme that Forsberg's points per game or goals per game stats are constantly brought up. Forsberg's actual totals make him great while reference to PPG and GPG stats tries to portray him as more than that. The fact is that he did no good for his team while he was injured and since he was already quite established player as he entered into league, his career consists mostly of his prime. Without looking at the actual numbers, I would guess that quite many players would have approximately equal PPG numbers if we choose only similar part of their career (basically 10 best years), while also having at least good seasons in top of those, while Forsberg lacks those additional years.

As noted, Forsberg was great. Between 94/95 and 06/07 (his entire career basically), he was 5th in points and 3rd in assists. Great, but not "beyond competition" numbers as I feel that references to his "per game" stats tries to indicate.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Unless he's up against 4 of Lidstrom, Hasek, Brodeur, Jagr, and Chelios at the same time, he's first ballot.

I can't remember if the 4 per year is a max rule or convention but Forsberg is a 1st ballot guy.

The only thing he lacks is longevity but he still had over 700 regular season games and 150 plus playoff games where he just flat out excelled.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Forsberg should be well deserving Hall of Famer, most likely first ballot. Could be interesting case if for example Lidström, Modano and Hasek are eligible in the same year (I doubt Jagr or Brodeur retire after this season).

Nevertheless, I really despise the common theme that Forsberg's points per game or goals per game stats are constantly brought up. Forsberg's actual totals make him great while reference to PPG and GPG stats tries to portray him as more than that. The fact is that he did no good for his team while he was injured and since he was already quite established player as he entered into league, his career consists mostly of his prime. Without looking at the actual numbers, I would guess that quite many players would have approximately equal PPG numbers if we choose only similar part of their career (basically 10 best years), while also having at least good seasons in top of those, while Forsberg lacks those additional years.

As noted, Forsberg was great. Between 94/95 and 06/07 (his entire career basically), he was 5th in points and 3rd in assists. Great, but not "beyond competition" numbers as I feel that references to his "per game" stats tries to indicate.

Forsberg came into the league at age 21, sure it was prime for him.

Maybe if he came in at 18 he would have exploded even sooner who knows.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

Yeah, Sundin outplayed everyone when he was in a Swedish uniform. Forsberg, Naslund, Lidstrom, Alfie............everyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad