So much for the 'Sh-t Northern Division' narrative.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
The North catches hell for two reasons Edmonton and Toronto. I am a Bolts fan and look forward to Shea Weber meeting a Norris cup winner in Tampa. He he he just had too.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Price leaves his dormant state and gets hot doesn't mean an entire division of hockey is good.
Correct. There's no evidence the East, West, or Central were good divisions. Same with the North.

People are placing faith in their memories of teams from 2019. Those old stats and rosters have no relevance to the teams and divisions here in mid-2021.

Reactions: Jeremy2020

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
a division's strength is determined by the best teams, not the worst. most don't consider a single team in the north a contender. therefore the division is weak.

make a list of the top 10 contending teams. i promise the best team in the north barely makes it.

other divisions each have at least 1:
central: TBL CAR
west: VGK COL
east: BOS WSH/PIT

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Fans of Canadian Division teams that were eliminated:
'Whew! Montreal playing well for 4 games against Vegas proves we were really not that bad!'
:laugh:

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
*team from the North makes the conference finals*
Everyone in canada "see we dont suck!"

Its almost as if there wasnt a 100% chance that thered be a canadian team in the conference finals. The north is the NFC East of the NHL. Someones going to make it by default even though nobody deserves it.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
Correct. There's no evidence the East, West, or Central were good divisions. Same with the North.

People are placing faith in their memories of teams from 2019. Those old stats and rosters have no relevance to the teams and divisions here in mid-2021.
it's not like the best team rosters have changed drastically since 2019 considering they have established cores. to say they have "no relevance" is silly

Danrs112

Oct 19, 2017
Of these 5 teams which 2 are most likely to miss the playoffs next year

Tampa
Boston
Toronto
Florida
Montreal

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
But they are up 2-1
Yeah. And the Golden Knights lost some games to the ducks kings and coyotes this year. Doesn't mean those teams are up to par with them.

2019 blue jackets swept lightning but they weren't up to par with them or a better team.

Playoffs are short sample sizes. Upsets can happen in small series and the worse team can win.

Reactions: Chips

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
it's not like the best team rosters have changed drastically since 2019 considering they have established cores. to say they have "no relevance" is silly
Montreal's roster has changed drastically. Comparisons with their 2019/20 roster are irrelevant.

Last season started in October 2019. Players from every team have aged and developed more than they ever have between seasons.

Reactions: Roadhouse

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Yeah. And the Golden Knights lost some games to the ducks kings and coyotes this year. Doesn't mean those teams are up to par with them.

2019 blue jackets swept lightning but they weren't up to par with them or a better team.

Playoffs are short sample sizes. Upsets can happen in small series and the worse team can win.
Everybody conveniently forgets sample size and therefore context matters. There’s a difference between having a better playoffs (one year, not a few in a row ie a pattern) and being a better team.

The Bolts were not a bad team because they got swept in the first round. They were easily a better team than the Jackets, but they had a worse week. There’s a lot of parity in this league, we’ve had surprise teams deep in the playoffs before. I still do think the North was the weakest division based on their top teams, but always felt “bad” division was overblown. Just least good.

Goalies being disproportionately important, also factors people’s perception. If people are saying the Habs were a worse team (before last game) it was because the Knights skaters had longer stretches of controlling play. A better goalie with good defense (best synergy imo vs anything + forwards) against a team that already had shallow C depth who lost their top C (and who have a huge under acknowledged history of choking, at least Fleury. I’m not saying this to discredit the Habs so much as I’ve always enjoyed pointing out the Knights shortcomings. Check the old Sharks-Knights threads , I have like 100 posts defending the Sharks team then as legitimately clutch, that 99% of teams would have failed to come back even with the power play. I’ve always said Vegas choked and people over blamed the ref there )

I agree with a prior post saying the divisions strength can most reasonably be determined by the top teams than the bottom. Edmonton being #2 by a fairly solid margin looks pretty bad with that lack of depth.

a 5/10 team in a division full of 5-6/10 teams will have a better record than the 5/10 team in a division with a few 5/10 teams and a few 9-10/10 teams. Ive never understood every single season people trying to discredit teams on top of the standing by pointing at their division “see!? Their division has worse teams than ours, they’re fake!”

Reactions: drktmplr12

Grumpy2112

Jun 18, 2021
a division's strength is determined by the best teams, not the worst. most don't consider a single team in the north a contender. therefore the division is weak.

make a list of the top 10 contending teams. i promise the best team in the north barely makes it.

other divisions each have at least 1:
central: TBL CAR
west: VGK COL
east: BOS WSH/PIT
pittsburgh has been over rated for a few seasons now, bounced early the last few seasons, the habs have had more playoff success the last 2 seasons than all teams listed except Tampa, plus the habs beat the pens last year head to head and knocked them out

Oblivion Beckons

Jan 20, 2021
The irony is that if we really "closed the borders", summoned all Canucks back to the homeland, and then built our teams from all Canadian players, the NHLs 7 top contenders come playoff time would all be from the oh so loathed North division :nod:.

This is the confirmation that the North division stinks.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
so i guess we put MTL in the contender category now?

don't get me wrong they are doing well in the playoffs but they barely made it in both years

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

So the Stanley Cup is a fraud?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Again enough with the chest thumping ,of course the North sucked... Every team in it knew this,doesnt take away that it did obviously have some decent teams in it that could win

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
tied 2-2 against the power house Vegas that everyone said would easily sweep us

we're fine buddy

Source?

According to the series poll...
1. Vegas 5
2. Habs 6
3. Habs 7
4. Vegas 6
5. Vegas 4

Vegas in 4 was 11% of votes :facepalm:

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Florida has had an established core as well. Have they improved any since 2019?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
The Habs could win their next 6 games and the Cup and the same crowd will still say they and the North division suck lol. Sad group of people.

How does 1 team from a division winning prove the rest of the division is good? Montreal winning the cup means the Oilers have top players aside from 2 forwards? Winnipeg's crappy D automatically has #1D and some actual top 4 defenseman?

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
How does 1 team from a division winning prove the rest of the division is good? Montreal winning the cup means the Oilers have top players aside from 2 forwards? Winnipeg's crappy D automatically has #1D and some actual top 4 defenseman?

You're right ofcourse, but I think the pushback of this thread is more about how everyone was saying whoever came out of the north was going to be crushed by another team out of it's division. I think this is what they're trying to say, not very well, but, yeah....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad