Post-Game Talk (GBU): So much compete

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
g- victory!
--- this is officially a winning streak now!!
--- can't even blame Hodgson for anything this game

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Outshot and lost whatever the hell the the corsi metric is? How embarrassing..... We should arrange a walk out and make some lame signs to hang around the arena to get Lafontaine fired. Maybe we could start a petition to get the win taken away from them.

Fantasy sports has been the scourge of sporting literacy since it was first introduced. I think there's a good majority of people who don't even watch anymore, they just look at the advanced stats and then post as if they had.
Toronto was missing their top 3 centers and quite honestly are not that an impressive of a team even with them. Toronto has been badly out shot and dominated possession wise in almost every game this year except this one. Sabres played great tonight compared to what they have been but they will still be lucky to play above .400 for the rest of the season.

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005
garden-gloves-02.jpg

you have no idea

I think you meant

ladies-floral-gardening-gloves-280.jpg

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Man, I thought Toronto/Montreal invaded Ottawa when they come to town but it was a 90/10 split at the game tonight for Leafsnation.

Also, big props on those 25oz cans...a beer actually lasted a whole period of hockey..

cardiffgiant

Sep 28, 2005
That is very typical. Its the way many season ticket holders pay for their tickets.

Say season tickets -2 tickets--were $4000

you sell tickets to 8 of Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, vancouver, Detroit, Boston, Rangers, and Pittsburgh games for $500 per game.

The remaining 33 games cost you $0.

This is a huge myth. I've been selling a portion of my seasons for 10 years and my sales (and those of friends) have never lived up to the urban legend of paying for your season with a handful of games.

How do I know? Because I have 4th row seats where the opposing team shoots twice (these are amazing seats for out of town fans), I list these games for face value or slightly over, and end going to the unsold games more often than not.

If you're reading this and you are willing to pay $500 per seat to go to a Leaf game in Buffalo, please PM me immediately. I will happily sell you the games for half that price :laugh:

cardiffgiant

Sep 28, 2005
Think there's a lot of rose-tinted glasses here due to the new coach and the result. They were still outshot and outpossessed (by the corsi metric anyway)...quite badly after the first period against a poor possession team in their own right who was extremely thin down the middle.

Seriously. I can't believe that anyone would feel good or be optimistic after recent changes resulted in a strong effort and a win.

it looked like the corsi was improved over the previous games. How was the end result compared to the previous few games? (where do I go to find that out?)

We knew that Ted wasn't changing the talent level or experience of these players overnight, but we expected that we'd see a team put in a full effort. I know that there aren't stats to back that up, but I think that we all just saw a physical, hard fought win. Can the team keep that effort up after the novelty wares off? Let's just enjoy this win for at least a couple of hours before worrying about that.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
G-
Effort and compete. Effort and compete. Effort and compete.
Miller solid again
Nice yet weird seeing Nolan behind the bench
Hodgson with a nice faceoff night. Like most centers taking faceoffs, he'll have good nights and bad nights in the faceoff dept.
Ott was effective Ott and not stupid Ott
And although I still want Stafford gone, I have to say, he was impressive tonight

B-
Too many Leafs fans at FNC. But I get it. And I am guilty of selling my seats every season too.

U-
Phaneuf

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
G: Best effort of this young season - full 60 minutes
Leadership displayed by Ott - definitely my 1st star of the game
Ennis skating with purpose and design for a change… and shooting the puck!
Foligno crashing the net and scoring GWG
Hodgson skating hard, calling for the puck, stick down on the ice
Ehrhoff's win saving shot block and empty netter
NO OVERTIME!
RJ wearing a red no contact Sabre practice jersey in the booth
Uptempo forecheck, tight checking, center lane denial defense
Reduction in shots taking on Buffalo goal
4th line with John Scott strategically showing up when a potential scrum seemed possible.
Nolan's decision to play Scott……. get my drift here NHL head of discipline?
Stafford crashing net and playing with intensity
No easy give ups in puck battles along the boards and in the corners
Tallinder/Myers

Too many others to mention

B: Ehrhoff's play other than his win saving block (I wish I was able to track turnovers/give aways because it seemed to me that Hoff had more than any other Sabre D)
ticky tacky slashing penalty called on Stafford
Audio on my TV during the action…. RJ turned way down, but lots of crowd noise and puck stick contact/skate/ice crunches coming through in the foreground
Leino not being a factor after being given a 2nd chance….

U: Stupid jerk leaf fans who have to bang on the glass, over dramatize non-calls by standing up and waving their arms and try to steal a cameo by hamming it up behind the hosts desk on camera during the post game segment.

Nice to see this team compete for a change.

Last edited:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
bad-no fights

end thread for me.

edit: tropp is a boss and I hope the nay-sayers are eating crow. Honestly you could stick him on a scoring line and he'd prolly make his line mates better...

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
Does anyone else feel Iike Andy Defresne from Shawshank, just crawling out of the pipe?

Knowing the team is still going to be bad for at least another year or two, tonight I feel more like Andy getting to escape for a few minutes by locking himself in the warden's office and listening to opera music.

cardiffgiant

Sep 28, 2005
Knowing the team is still going to be bad for at least another year or two, tonight I feel more like Andy getting to escape for a few minutes by locking himself in the warden's office and listening to opera music.

At the risk of QFTing... this is about as dead on of an analogy as I can think of for the current state of this team.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
The players I was most impressed with tonight were Myers, Ott, Stafford, Ennis and Tallinder. I also thought McBain had a solid game. Pretty much everyone had a good game in a great team effort. Also, even though Ehrhoff's save was much more crucial, Matt Moulson made a great play on the backcheck which prevented a goal on a Ryan Miller rebound.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Not surprised they had the emotional edge tonight. Happens all the time in these situations. More interested in the next game.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00