Post-Game Talk (GBU): So much compete

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Listening to the presser. Did anyone catch the "He was frustrated by the way the season was going. He didnt like the way the club was competing" by Nolan regarding Ott.

Yeah...why?

You surprised?

KeepCalmandCorsiOn

Jun 30, 2013
I remember anytime we lost to the Leafs when they were bad, we were all like "I can't believe we lost to the LAFFS!"

And now Leafs fans are like, "I can't believe we lost to the Sabres!"

Oh, how the tables have turned :laugh: It's sad on our part, but you know. Still funny.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Go on the Leafs board, if you really want to enjoy. Don't comment, that's asking for trouble.
I enjoy the posters who want to reluctantly trade Franson for a top center. :laugh: "Well I guess we can trade Mike Weber for a 30 goal scoring winger... if it has to be done."

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
I know what you mean, it's great isn't it?

Definitely. I knew we had the potential to win games. I guess everyone gave their all for 60 straight minutes. Most complete game in a long, long time.

I don't expect to win a large number of games here on out, but if they continue playing the way they did tonight? I'd be ok with losing a majority of them.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Yeah...why?

You surprised?

That it was publicly said? Yes.

I've cant remember the last time I've seen a bunch of players throw a coach under the bus so publicly. It also speaks to Otts work effort which we already knew about. Add to the good only 33 shots against.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Good game. Timing was good for them to play the Leafs. That organization might be the only professional sports organization more pathetic than the Bills. As insanely high and arrogant as their fan base is right now their yearly crumble is going to be especially funny this year.

French Connection

Aug 16, 2007
That it was publicly said? Yes.

I've cant remember the last time I've seen a bunch of players throw a coach under the bus so publicly. It also speaks to Otts work effort which we already knew about. Add to the good only 33 shots against.
That coach was the number one thing that got DR fired. Once the ownership found out that the had a mutiny on TP hands he had to pull the trigger.

DR is going to second guess himself for a long time for that blunder.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo Sabres ‏@BuffaloSabres 47m

@sportscenter Christan Ehrhoff, the rare save and goal back-to-back, within seconds. #SCtop10 right?

Retweet
Favorite

Expand
SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter 7m

@BuffaloSabres He might have a DaDaDa DaDaDa in his future.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Good -

- Beating the Leafs. They can lose a lot of games, but man, that feels good.
- Half-priced martinis. Holy. Crap.
- Cabs.
- Updates here and from Sabres.com during dinner.
- Meeting someone who went to college in B'lo while standing at the bar. WNYers are ****ing everywhere. I joke that we are the modern diaspora... but it's true.

Bad -

- Let's not get our hopes up. Most teams get a bounce when there is a coaching change, let's see where they are in a few nights when the newness wears off. Or they play a team not missing their first, second, AND third line centers.

Ugly -

- I got nothing. Queuing up the game right now and wondering where all the beer went from the fridge. Oh, yeah, THAT guy drank it the other night while watching Rolston's **** show. :biglaugh:

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
...Was this the first home game against the Leafs that you've ever experienced? :p:

Been to one in person. Never been as many as tonight. It was 70/30 in the lower bowl.

Edit: The 2011 Roy OT Game in April. Free box seats. Best. Game. Ever.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
B
Our arena packed with laughs fan. wtf?

That is very typical. Its the way many season ticket holders pay for their tickets.

Say season tickets -2 tickets--were $4000

you sell tickets to 8 of Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, vancouver, Detroit, Boston, Rangers, and Pittsburgh games for $500 per game.

The remaining 33 games cost you $0.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Been to one in person. Never been as many as tonight. It was 70/30 in the lower bowl.

Edit: The 2011 Roy OT Game in April. Free box seats. Best. Game. Ever.

My more recent favorit is the one Briere took over in the third period a few years ago to win 5-4 -- http://www.thestar.com/sports/2007/03/23/sabres_5_leafs_4.html

Sat in the lower bowl for that one in 102 or 103... it was just awesome when they came back to win.

I also recall Mogilny and LaFontaine lighting them up in '93 a couple of times.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Think there's a lot of rose-tinted glasses here due to the new coach and the result. They were still outshot and outpossessed (by the corsi metric anyway)...quite badly after the first period against a poor possession team in their own right who was extremely thin down the middle.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
Think there's a lot of rose-tinted glasses here due to the new coach and the result. They were still outshot and outpossessed (by the corsi metric anyway)...quite badly after the first period against a poor possession team in their own right who was extremely thin down the middle.

Screw that! Cup,cup,cup,cup! /sarcasm

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Good -

- Beating the Leafs. They can lose a lot of games, but man, that feels good.
- Half-priced martinis. Holy. Crap.
- Cabs.
- Updates here and from Sabres.com during dinner.
- Meeting someone who went to college in B'lo while standing at the bar. WNYers are ****ing everywhere. I joke that we are the modern diaspora... but it's true.

Bad -

- Let's not get our hopes up. Most teams get a bounce when there is a coaching change, let's see where they are in a few nights when the newness wears off. Or they play a team not missing their first, second, AND third line centers.

Ugly -

- I got nothing. Queuing up the game right now and wondering where all the beer went from the fridge. Oh, yeah, THAT guy drank it the other night while watching Rolston's **** show. :biglaugh:

That's funny as the exact same thing happened to me. A guy walked up and asked if I was for Buffalo or Toronto and then went on to talk about how he grew up in Amherst until going to college at UC Berkeley

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
That is very typical. Its the way many season ticket holders pay for their tickets.

Say season tickets -2 tickets--were $4000

you sell tickets to 8 of Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, vancouver, Detroit, Boston, Rangers, and Pittsburgh games for $500 per game.

The remaining 33 games cost you $0.

It's typical for there to be maybe a 50/50 split but it seems like there were even more Leafs fans than usual, though I wasn't in attendance. It'd make perfect sense because enthusiasm for the team is 0 and many tickets were probably sold before the slight bump in excitement that was brought on by the recent changes.

BCS

Feb 18, 2008

I don't expect an awful team like the Sabres to outshoot or outpossess anyone. They don't have the players for it right now. Win or lose, I just want them to compete hard and make it tough on their opponent. A bad team can still be watchable, which the Sabres were tonight (seldom the case under Rolston). Moreover, they beat a hated rival in Nolan's return. Hence the happiness.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011

Outshot and lost whatever the hell the the corsi metric is? How embarrassing..... We should arrange a walk out and make some lame signs to hang around the arena to get Lafontaine fired. Maybe we could start a petition to get the win taken away from them.

Fantasy sports has been the scourge of sporting literacy since it was first introduced. I think there's a good majority of people who don't even watch anymore, they just look at the advanced stats and then post as if they had.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Yep I think most people realize this. Some of the fans that expect us to be a playoff team next year will be surprised by it and probably blame Regier for the next 5 years. This team is still going to lose a lot more than they win. But they'll try on a much more consistent basis.

The real test for Nolan is going to be getting this same effort from guys in 20 games when they are all but officially eliminated. And after a few of their teammates have been traded away.

jamers

bleep bop bloop
Sep 17, 2011
I don't expect an awful team like the Sabres to outshoot or outpossess anyone. They don't have the players for it right now. Win or lose, I just want them to compete hard and make it tough on the other team. A bad team can still be watchable. That was the case tonight, and they beat a hated rival in Nolan's return. Hence the happiness.

This. I don't think any of us expect us to start reeling off wins. But if we keep playing like this, at least it won't be unwatchable and we might be able to enjoy the journey a little bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->