Post-Game Talk (GBU): So much compete

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Feels GOODMAN DAT COHMPEET

All those mad Leafs fans. Makes me mo--I mean smile. I didn't see a lot of the game because work. What was the best part of it all? I'm guessing the team played more than 12 minutes
I laughed. Nice.
garden-gloves-02.jpg

you have no idea
Laughed again. Awesome
Ron Ron was bad. Unless it was taking selfies with his Aquafina water. He was really great at that.

Still laughing.

36517057001_2088792625001_900944612-158-1357967696045.jpg

SELFIE SATURDAY

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Minus Ennis' usual turnovers at the offensive blueline, seeing the hybrid puck possession into a chip and chase was refreshing as ****. Carry it if there's room, dump and dig if not. Voila! Hockey!

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Ehrhoff: 24:05
Pysyk: 20:37
Myers: 20:05
Tallinder: 19:22
McBain: 18:44
Risto: 17:12

Ott: 19:37
Ennis: 17:49
Moulson: 16:54
Leino: 18:08
Hodgson: 17:07

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Another Ugly...

- Tallinder's late penalty. That's such a ticky-tacky call. He cleaned out the front of the net and took his man out of the play. Isn't that just basic hockey?

I thought the slash called on Stafford was worse. Both were bad.

Stafford was excellent.
Hodgson was more active than he's been all season.
Ennis looked dangerous.
Team defense. Forward support.
I thought the power play looked fantastic. Players were moving it quick and moving around.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I thought the slash called on Stafford was worse. Both were bad.

Stafford was excellent.
Hodgson was more active than he's been all season.
Ennis looked dangerous.
Team defense. Forward support.
I thought the power play looked fantastic. Players were moving it quick and moving around.

I'm a big fan of the hybrid umbrella/overload. It forces a nice combination of puck movement and body movement.

Though he said he left the special teams personnel decisions to his assistant coaches, it was pretty clear he had a voice in the scheming.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I agree with those who observed that there were no passengers tonight. Everyone was motoring and everyone cared about getting the W. My only critique for a forward is thrown at Moulson, who was pretty unnoticeable IMO

Ehrhoff with the save of the game was awesome.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I agree with those who observed that there were no passengers tonight. Everyone was motoring and everyone cared about getting the W.

That should be everyone's take home point of this game. Chalk it up to hard work stemming from a coaching change or playing a poor possession team that's thinned down the middle all you want, but for the first time in two seasons, these guys were supporting their defensemen everywhere on the ice. Breakouts were noticeably better.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Think there's a lot of rose-tinted glasses here due to the new coach and the result. They were still outshot and outpossessed (by the corsi metric anyway)...quite badly after the first period against a poor possession team in their own right who was extremely thin down the middle.

You seem to be missing the point entirely.

The enthusiasm/optimism does not stem from a belief that the team has been transformed in 48 hours into a deep, solid, Cup contender.

Rather, people are just happy to see a team compete and provide a product that can actually be defined as sporting entertainment again.

This rebuild has a long way to go, and we will continue to do a lot of losing, no doubt. But it doesn't have to question your will to live as it did under the wrath of the Dark Lord Darth Regier and his Chief Minion RonRon.

A dark cloud has been lifted from this organization, and now is a time to rejoice and be glad.

Lock3Boys

Aug 16, 2005
Buffalo, NY
This is a taste of Ted Nolan hockey, for those of you that are too young to remember. Don't expect the most amazing system, but expect every guy to play hard no matter what the score is or what line they play on.

Nolan has a knack for getting guys to play a more physical game, Jason Dawe was a pretty soft player but under Nolan he finished some checks, blew a dude or two up also. Coho reminded me of Dawe's transformation last night. He competed well and finished 2 checks I remember.

I had to pinch myself seeing Teddy behind the bench, its so surreal and I still can't get my mind to grasp the fact he's our head coach. I liked the way he leaned on Coho at the dot, he also did a great job matching lines and taking advantage of the last change. More than once, he put the Coho line out against the 4th line of Totonto and although it didn't payoff, that kind of coaching is important when you are a less talented team than your opponent. Need to try and gain every edge possible.

I don't think we will see a ton more wins, but if this team can compete like this more nights than not, I will be stoked as a fan.

No GBU for me, I couldn't even imagine putting someone in a bad or ugly category. For the first time this season, I feel very happy after a game. Gonna cherish this feeling for a bit.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I'm not sure why everyone feels the need to point out that the sabres aren't going to make the playoffs/win a cup - I don't think anyone is deluded in that way. All the the aspects of their team that need to improve - passing, puck possession, defense, back-checking - none of that will develop if the players aren't showing up and giving it 100%.

So much of the appreciation I have for this game, is that this team looks like it has finally taken that first step to becoming a better team - under a new coach and new management, and that when it comes time to evaluate the personnel and team for signings, trades, etc.; now there will be someone else in charge.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
As to the game, I doubt anyone's really thinking there's a turnaround in store because, well, there isn't. This is still one of the worst teams in the NHL talent-wise. It was also one of the worst-deployed teams imo and while some of that may change, one would think the system can only change so much mid-season, especially with the assistant coaches staying on.

I do think Nolan will have a better relationship with most of the players and that will lead to a more harmonious feeling in the locker room and a more coherent effort on the ice. Yeah, we still got whomped Corsi-wise by a team that is bad Corsi-wise and was missing its centermen. Don't go expecting that to change, because the Sabres suck. That doesn't mean we can't see some of what we were expecting: a young, bad team that loses but puts up a good fight. The season's only a quarter over so I think we were more or less destined to see a bit of improvement over the course of the year with such a young team, and the coaching change should only increase the chances of that happening.

Next game will be interesting, especially with it being a rematch.
The best part is that even if they are losing (they will be) the guys will still want to actually come to the arena as opposed to looking at it like a trip to the dentist. That goes for veterans and young guys alike which is rare.

Like I said I am curious if Nolan can keep that attitude up in the locker room even after the playoffs are long gone, as teammates and friends get traded and as the media gets back on their case. It would be very impressive if he can and would make him a guy worth having on board next year as well.

Last edited:

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
closet Sabres fan here.

great game last night. just goes to show how much of the game is mental.

i am also an Isles fan, so i've seen/read about Nolan up close. i like his style.

i like Patty Lafontaine too, and hope he does well for you guys. classy guy.

anyway, good luck the rest of the season!

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
That is very typical. Its the way many season ticket holders pay for their tickets.

Say season tickets -2 tickets--were $4000

you sell tickets to 8 of Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, vancouver, Detroit, Boston, Rangers, and Pittsburgh games for $500 per game.

The remaining 33 games cost you $0.

Winnipeg? I really get the Toronto, Montreal, Pittsburgh, Boston and Rangers games but Winnipeg? There's a demand from Ottawa fans? And Calgary/Edmonton. Did the westerners move east and somewhere near Buffalo?

minuteater

does not cohmpeet
Apr 28, 2010
Buffalo
I feel like I was near you...303-305 section or no?
311. I'm mostly there or sometimes 323 this season. Though I'll be in 323 on Tuesday.
Sounds like just about every group of surly, young Leaf fans I've ever sat near. Granted, I usually dish back, with the help of the final score. :D
I was thinking this exactly. My story is just a microcosm of every other section in the arena. I dished a bit but then my wife would yell at me. Then she'd dish one herself. I have better luck winning a verbal war with a Leaf fan than her though :laugh:
Is this the first game of the season where the Sabres goalie HASN'T faced 40+ SOG?
It feels like it. Especially at home.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The best part is that even if they are losing (they will be) the guys will still want to actually come to the arena as opposed to looking at it like a trip to the dentist. That goes for veterans and young guys alike which is rare.

Like I said I am curious if Nolan can keep that attitude up in the locker room even after the playoffs are long gone, as teammates are friends get traded and as the media gets back on their case. It would be very impressive if he can and would make him a guy worth having on board next year as well.

Don't worry he will.

If you don't work hard you wont be here isn't a slogan, its how he coaches. He has the full backing of Lafontaine and if he wants someone gone they will be.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I've seen some touch on Corsi and frankly thats missing the point. That will only improve when the talent on the team improves. But hard work, hustle and sacrifice in our zone should reduce the amount of those attempted shots that get on net. Hence the 1st period last night.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Don't worry he will.

If you don't work hard you wont be here isn't a slogan, its how he coaches. He has the full backing of Lafontaine and if he wants someone gone they will be.

What was the quote by Barnaby/Peca?

If you work hard you will love him
If you not work hard, you soon will learn how.

IF he can teach Grigs how to work it might be the difference between a KHL career or a NHL all-star (slight hyperbole).

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
What a game. I was on the edge of my seat from start to finish. Amazing, so entertaining, so much compete. Everyone was just on fire. Even Scott seemed to get near some chances. My only worry is consistency, however if we can keep up 80% of last night's game then this is going to be a great season to watch and be a part of.

GO SABRES! Damn it's been a long time since I've said that.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
What was the quote by Barnaby/Peca?

If you work hard you will love him
If you not work hard, you soon will learn how.

IF he can teach Grigs how to work it might be the difference between a KHL career or a NHL all-star (slight hyperbole).

Grigs' problem is he isn't ready for the NHL. I don't think Nolan can really change that.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Not surprised they had the emotional edge tonight. Happens all the time in these situations. More interested in the next game.

Pretty much. I still think their best effort of the year was against the Sharks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad