Blue Jays Discussion: So long Pillar, and thanks for all the catches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Haven't been as into the spring this year as much as years passed but I'm ready to get the season started. I have a really good idea what the position players and starters(barring more injuries) will look like, but I'm totally lost on the pen with the injuries. Any idea what the pen will look like? I thought we might go 8 pen/3 bench and then replace a pen pitcher with Vlad when he was ready. But with Vlad injury, and pen injuries, that's out the window. Doesd Luciano have any realistic chance of sticking? His numbers have been brutal(but with the injuries maybe he gets a longer look?). I'm having a tough enough job of coming up with 7 names let alone 8.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
First chance I've had to see Luciano now. He looked OK. 1 inning with 1 hit and 1 K. I imagine we'll see a fair bit out of him tomorrow through the Montreal games to give him as much opportunity as possible to find a place in the pen before they have to give him back or work out a trade to keep him.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Nash Knight is the hero we need.

EDIT: And it shows how much I was paying attention that it was Samad Taylor that got the hit and Knight actually lined out. :laugh:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I’d keep Luciano and if he really struggles then send him back.

That's where I'm at too. He had just struggled so mightily in the spring so far. It took a few minutes of poking around, but I finally find full spring stat lines on the Jays site.

Luciano's line so far this spring (presumably not counting today):

6.2 IP, 38 batters faced, 12 hits, 11 runs (all earned), 2 HR surrendered, 8 Ks, 7 BBs, .400 opponent BA. 1.160 opponent OPS

Today he pitched 2 innings (I'm guessing he doesn't come back for a 3rd turn), gave up 2 hits, a walk, 0 runs, and had 2 strikeouts.

I know it's just the spring and spring stats are mostly meaningless (until they aren't), but he's really put himself behind the 8-ball here. Even if the Jays are projecting to be non-contenders and be OK with losing games this coming season, it's still a stretch to get to the point of accepting carrying what ends up equating to a potentially entirely dead roster spot in the bullpen.

In other news: Luke Maile, steals machine. Now his value is pitch framing and speed :sarcasm:

and Eric Sogard continues to look like they just grabbed a ringer out of the IT department so they'd have enough warm bodies for this game. :sarcasm:

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Identifying Prospects with Power Potential

4. Danny Jansen, Pull% on FB: 41.18% | FB%: 42.1%
68. Danny Jansen, C, TOR. Age: 24
I’m telling you: there’s something to be said for a high, reliable floor with catching prospects. That’s Danny Jansen. Unless the skills deteriorate, the backstop should be good for a .270-.280 AVG and 10-15 (perhaps more) home runs annually once he gains his footing in the big leagues. He’ll never be a superstar, but he’ll always be rostered and utilized in your fantasy league—even if you only play in redrafts. The Blue Jays recently shipped Russell Martin to the Dodgers, so it currently appears Jansen is in line to receive a lion’s share of the workload behind the plate in Toronto in 2019. If he plays to his talent, the Jays have their catcher for the next decade.​

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Michael Kay having so much fun making Nash Knight jokes that he manages to (somehow) botch Samad Taylor's name (Sameed).

Taylor remains a sleeper prospect for me. He's stuck behind the glut of middle infielders, but I feel like he's got a little more pop than you expect for such a small and wiry guy (I was there live for the first of his 2 HRs with Vancouver in 2017. It wasn't a cheapy wall-scraper) and he's got a nice plate profile (19% Ks vs 11% BBs last year) while also getting mildly BABIP hosed in A-ball. He's not a defensive wizard, but his problems are more technical/mechanical than they are physical limitations.

It'll be an uphill battle, but he's got some interesting tools in that toolbox.

Reactions: canucksfan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

I wonder if that means Axford's injury is more serious than first thought. Because I can't imagine the team would want to just have 1/3rd of their potential pen on the DL to start the season.

As for Norris, **** him, but at least he's not on the 40-man right now. But mostly **** him.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Vidal Nuno did not make the Nationals roster. He's had a solid spring and could be a solid candidate for the bullpen with all the injuries.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Ross Atkins on Blue Jays Spring Training

On Rule 5 pick Jordan Romano, who was informed by the Rangers on Friday that he would not be making the team...
Atkins
: "
He has to go through waivers, and we'll hopefully find a way to get him back here. I'm sure they would like to have him, as well, so there will potentially be dialogue around that, but I would imagine that more than likely he will be headed back to join the Toronto Blue Jays."

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Played well with Tampa last season (Montoyo connection) so why not!
4.46 WHIP is good? Better off plucking someone younger that at least has some potential to be in the pen next year.

Nuno allows too many base runners and gives up too many gopher balls to be successful in the AL East.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
4.46 WHIP is good? Better off plucking someone younger that at least has some potential to be in the pen next year.

Nuno allows too many base runners and gives up too many gopher balls to be successful in the AL East.

I doubt he has ever been close to a 3 WHIP let alone over 4.

Has his warts but was useful last season. 100% left on base, under 2 ERA, 1 bWAR, not bad for likely a million or less. And if he is trash you let him go a pluck someone off waivers

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I doubt he has ever been close to a 3 WHIP let alone over 4.

Has his warts but was useful last season. 100% left on base, under 2 ERA, 1 bWAR, not bad for likely a million or less. And if he is trash you let him go a pluck someone off waivers

The 4.46 number is his FIP, which makes more sense.

A 100% LOB doesn't make him useful, it makes him extremely lucky and explains why his ERA was so much lower than his FIP.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
I wonder if that means Axford's injury is more serious than first thought. Because I can't imagine the team would want to just have 1/3rd of their potential pen on the DL to start the season.

As for Norris, **** him, but at least he's not on the 40-man right now. But mostly **** him.

Why are we angry at Norris?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Why are we angry at Norris?
I think it's a culture shock. This is America's game. This is America's pastime, and over the last 10-15 years we've seen a very big world influence in this game, which we as a union and as players appreciate.
We're opening this game to everyone that can play. However, if you're going to come into our country and make our American dollars, you need to respect a game that has been here for over a hundred years, and I think sometimes that can be misconstrued. There are some players that have antics, that have done things over the years that we don't necessarily agree with.
I understand you want to say it's a cultural thing or an upbringing thing. But by the time you get to the big leagues, you better have a pretty good understanding of what this league is and how long it's been around.
This quote on international players is where a lot of it comes from. He also supposedly was hazing Jordan Hicks to some degree last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad