Blue Jays Discussion: So long Pillar, and thanks for all the catches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
youre definitely a loser if you worry about video games.

Anyone who cares about video games is a loser?

Ask Boston, whos doing a promo for Fortnite, who won the World Series, how much Fortnite effected them.

I thought the Jays players were just playing video games, I don't recall seeing them do any promos and really, so what if they did?

Is it only video Fortnite promos that would a problem? all video game promos or just any promo in general?

I don't think you are making much sense here

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Anyone who cares about video games is a loser?

I thought the Jays players were just playing video games, I don't recall seeing them do any promos and really, so what if they did?

Is it only video Fortnite promos that would a problem? all video game promos or just any promo in general?

I don't think you are making much sense here

i dont know what hill youre dying on with your quotes but get at me when you figure it out.

to recap:
- Martin didnt like ppl playing Fortnite
- They made a rule getting rid of fortnite
- I said that these players dont need to be babied, have a lot of down time and who cares about games. If you truly think it effects them, you (whoever reads this and thinks this) is a loser.
- You said they should be pros yada yada
- I said they make millions to hit a ball, who gives a shit about a game. I also brought up how the Red Sox, who won the World Series, played fortnite so much they are in a promo for Fortnite, and it didnt effect their ability to win a title. If the winning team doesnt care, why should any other team?

We good? We on the same page?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
i dont know what hill youre dying on with your quotes but get at me when you figure it out.

to recap:
- Martin didnt like ppl playing Fortnite
- They made a rule getting rid of fortnite
- I said that these players dont need to be babied, have a lot of down time and who cares about games. If you truly think it effects them, you (whoever reads this and thinks this) is a loser.
- You said they should be pros yada yada
- I said they make millions to hit a ball, who gives a **** about a game. I also brought up how the Red Sox, who won the World Series, played fortnite so much they are in a promo for Fortnite, and it didnt effect their ability to win a title. If the winning team doesnt care, why should any other team?

We good? We on the same page?
Just wanted to hit on your last point there. Just because Fortnite is paying the Red Sox to advertise the game doesn't mean they were playing the game to a ridiculous degree....It means Fortnite is paying the Red Sox a lot of money to advertise the game lol I am sure the Jays would too if they were offered enough money. I fail to see why anyone would give a damn one way or another whether a professional athlete is allowed to play video games. Like I am sure they will manage without Fortnite for a couple hours.

Reactions: exporta

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
They taked about fortnite on the ottawa morning drive show. Pierre mcguire was on his regular segment talking about video games like this becoming more worriesome for teams cause not so much at the rink or park but are players playing all night not getting proper rest. Its addictive to some.

I think its more on the team to educate the players on potential adverse affect gaming for long hours can have on your performance.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Camp standouts

Nate Pearson was the Blue Jays’ second first-round pick in 2017, and everyone was excited to see what the 6-foot-6 flamethrower would bring to the table in his first full season. The Junior College of Central Florida product barely got to toe the rubber, however, when a line drive fractured his arm in the second inning of his first start of 2018. He did return to get some innings in the Arizona Fall League and reminded people why he was a first-round pick by hitting 104 mph in the Fall Stars Game. Wiping the slate clean, Pearson is chomping at the bit to start his Blue Jays career in earnest.

“Since the day he got here, what’s been evident is his commitment to his work routine, his attention to detail and his proactiveness at getting better,” Kim said. “He takes advantage of every resource we have. He’s healthy right now. We’ve seen an improvement in his fastball control thus far in camp and he’s continuing to work on developing the slider as his primary out pitch as well. Coming off that AFL stint, we know he’s excited to get to work this season.”

So is 2018 first-rounder Jordan Groshans. The No. 12 pick in last June’s Draft had a fantastic pro debut, hitting his way out of the Gulf Coast League (.331/.390/.500) and up to the Appalachian League. As impressed by his bat, his power potential and his advanced approach at the plate given his age as Toronto's staff is, what’s really stood out is how much he’s willing to work on becoming an all-around player.

“He’s been impressive and has acclimated pretty well so far,” Kim said. “He’s really committed to being the best defender he can be. He’s working on his footwork and his base and body positioning right now and he’s been making good strides in camp. Last year, he played both shortstop and third base, and while we plan to develop him as a shortstop, we also know he’ll get opportunities at third as well.”

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Groshans is turning into a nice surprise, evolving from an underslot draft pick and potential sweetener to also snag Kloffenstein to looking like a very very solid prospect in his own right.

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Groshans is turning into a nice surprise, evolving from an underslot draft pick and potential sweetener to also snag Kloffenstein to looking like a very very solid prospect in his own right.

Nem, I believe the Jays loved to get him at that slot, as they even had him rated higher. AK was just a huge bonus knowing they got their man in round one, and had extra slot money to play with to get AK.

No one can complain about their drafting so far.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Nem, I believe the Jays loved to get him at that slot, as they even had him rated higher. AK was just a huge bonus knowing they got their man in round one, and had extra slot money to play with to get AK.

Oh I’m sure Zeke will find something to complain about.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Oh, no doubt in that. It's more from the perspective of the fan, who at hte time of the draft was fed a lot of "he probably shouldn't be drafted this highly, they probably did it to save some slot allocation and then Kloffenstein became a perk of the decision" to finding that he does seem to have absolutely deserved his draft point and looks like a very astute pick in more ways than one.

Reactions: kb

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
So Fangraphs has incorporated catcher framing into WAR, which is great because we no longer have to add it at some kind of intangible caveat when looking at players.

WAR Update: Catcher Framing!

Key point that isn't included in this article: Blue Jays catchers in 2018 ranked third with 4.8 fWAR. Luke Maile was 11th in baseball with 2.2 fWAR despite playing in just 68 games. On a per-PA basis, he was in the conversation for the best catcher in the league, just ahead of Grandal and Realmuto.

Of course, he's definitely not this good - the bat, in particular, will likely regress significantly - but maybe he's actually kind of a good backup. At the very least, he has decent value, and he's not worth cutting altogether to force McGuire onto the roster.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
So Fangraphs has incorporated catcher framing into WAR, which is great because we no longer have to add it at some kind of intangible caveat when looking at players.

WAR Update: Catcher Framing!

Key point that isn't included in this article: Blue Jays catchers in 2018 ranked third with 4.8 fWAR. Luke Maile was 11th in baseball with 2.2 fWAR despite playing in just 68 games. On a per-PA basis, he was in the conversation for the best catcher in the league, just ahead of Grandal and Realmuto.

Of course, he's definitely not this good - the bat, in particular, will likely regress significantly - but maybe he's actually kind of a good backup. At the very least, he has decent value, and he's not worth cutting altogether to force McGuire onto the roster.
Sal Perez and Willson Contreras do not like this news at all.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
So with Norris and Axford likely making the team who do you think comes off the 40 man?

Two easy guesses are Phelps and Travis going to the 60 day DL but i dont think Phelps' injury is serious is enough but Travis' might be.

Next one is likely Pompey. A 26 year old Jonathan Davis is an option too. Luciano is a natural choice as well even with the Jays having long term plans for him, he just looks over matched.

EDIT: Well if those injuries are more than minor then Axford doesnt make the team and Norris gets his spot.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
2019 Positional Power Rankings: Catcher

7. Blue Jays
NamePAAVGOBPSLGwOBABatBsRFldWAR
Danny Jansen448.250.333.404.3221.70.4-2.02.8
Luke Maile96.211.275.325.265-4.10.00.50.3
Reese McGuire96.227.292.353.284-2.7-0.10.10.3
Total640.240.318.384.308-5.00.4-1.53.4
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Danny Jansen impressed in a 95-plate appearance debut and carries one of the league's best rookie projections coming into 2019. The trade of Russell Martin clears the path for him to be a full-time option for the Jays. He showed incredible plate discipline skills in the minors with a near-1:1 strikeout-to-walk ratio, including an 11% walk rate. Emerging pop, top-flight speed for the position, and passable defense make him a complete package. If he can be around average at throwing runners out, he could be an overall plus defensively thanks to solid framing.

Reese McGuire and Luke Maile are defense-first backup options who won’t see much time at all if Jansen pans out as expected. At least McGuire is a former prospect with a tinge of upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->