Blue Jays Discussion: So long Pillar, and thanks for all the catches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
The signing on its own looks like a good one for Boston, but that moves their 2020 commitments up to $134 million, which gets them three SP, a DH, and a backup C. (I guess it technically also gets them a minor league OF and an injured 36-year-old 2B).

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

DUNEDIN, Fla. – Breaking camp with the Toronto Blue Jays is going to be something new for left-hander Tim Mayza, who last year rode the options train between triple-A Buffalo and the big-leagues a galling seven times each way. Next Thursday, he’ll take a spot on the third-base line and hear his name announced before the 2019 opener against the visiting Detroit Tigers.

“Definitely some excitement,” says Mayza, who was pulled aside by manager Charlie Montoyo on Tuesday and told he’s made the club. “I’ve never been a part of an opening day (in the majors), even as a fan growing up. I never went to opening day because I was either playing or I was in class. It was definitely a lot of excitement going on in that moment.”

Another new experience this spring for the 27-year-old from Allentown, Pa., has been regularly taking throws at first base, a byproduct of his status as the only lefty in the bullpen.
Mayza last played first as a freshman at Millersville University in 2011, appearing in two games while getting five at-bats (he had two hits). That year, he also logged 20 games at first for the Quakertown Blazers of the Atlantic collegiate summer league, but until this spring hadn’t been back over since.

“It’s been a while,” he says with a smile. “I’m just over there just in case we make one of those double switches, getting comfortable with being able to receive the ball at first base and my footwork over there. I have fun with it. …

“I play catch every day, so catching the ball shouldn’t be much of a problem. I’ve got to make sure I don’t get trucked or run over at first base. But it’s going as well as I thought it would.”

The likeliest scenario for Mayza to end up at first in a game is if an extreme pull right-handed hitter came up with a lefty or two following. The Blue Jays have emphasized positional flexibility for its players in recent years, and outfielder Billy McKinney’s work at first base helps in that regard.

Still, the possibility hadn’t crossed Mayza’s mind until Montoyo asked him about getting some work in over at first base.

“I was a little taken aback, I didn’t know if they were joking or serious,” Mayza recalls. “But Charlie was like, ‘No, I’m serious,’ so I was like, ‘Oh, OK.’ It comes along with being the only lefty in the bullpen right now. In years past we had Aaron Loup and myself at times, so there are two guys. Now, being the only lefty comes with that role.”

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Fantasy Draft tonight.

Anyone got any sleepers? I know Danny Jansen is only valued at $1 on ESPN, so he’s someone I’m gonna grab hopefully.

But MLB wide, anyone got any gut feelings lol

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Fantasy Draft tonight.

Anyone got any sleepers? I know Danny Jansen is only valued at $1 on ESPN, so he’s someone I’m gonna grab hopefully.

Gabe Gross has had a big spring.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Pentacost considering retirement apparently. Interesting, considering he had a lot of time in New Hampshire

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Pentacost considering retirement apparently. Interesting, considering he had a lot of time in New Hampshire

The odds are severely stacked against him ever making it to the MLB given how mediocre he was in his AA run last season and how much his development has been hobbled by injuries and time lost (and the point that he's basically a non-factor as a catching prospect now). Even with the Jays' system-wide MiLB pay bump, making a living as a minor league player without a realistic chance of doing something in MLB is incredibly difficult and at 26 years old he may have simply decided that he's better off figuring out where to go from here than hanging on in a tunnel with no light at the end of it.

It's sad and it sucks, but good on him for at least having the wherewithal to realize he should probably take stock of his future.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Certainly, Harper and Machado led the way in free agency, while Arenado and Trout crushed it with their extensions. There has been a number of other extensions as well, including first baseman Paul Goldschmidt (reportedly five years/$130 million) with the Cardinals, third baseman Alex Bregman (six years/$100 million) with the Astros and reigning Cy Young winner Blake Snell (five years/$50 million) with the Rays. We’re seeing both proven veterans and young players with far less experience making deals.

What we’re experiencing is players and agents finally adapting to the changing landscape of player valuation and free agency. If clubs won’t pay players big money in free agency because of declining performance due to age, then get the team to buy out free agent years before players get there. In some of these cases, teams are basing value upon projections with less tangible data.

One extension that should interest Jays fans is the White Sox signing of stud outfield prospect Eloy Jimenez to a deal that guarantees him $43 million over six years, with the value rising as high as $77.5 million if the White Sox exercise a couple of club options.

Jimenez is ranked as the third-best prospect in baseball behind Vladimir Guerrero Jr. His deal is just the third of its kind given to a player with no major-league service. In 2014, the Astros signed first baseman Jon Singleton to a five-year, $10 million deal that turned out to be a bust. Last spring, the Phillies signed infielder Scott Kingery to a six-year, $24 million deal with three club options that could make the deal worth $66 million.

The obvious question is whether this same structure makes sense for the Blue Jays with Guerrero. Blue Jays president Mark Shapiro is a disciple of former Cleveland Indians general manager John Hart. In Cleveland, Hart and Shapiro locked up many of their young stars to long-term deals. It is in his DNA to want to control young stars for as long as possible.

The Jays should absolutely consider doing the same for Guerrero. It’s always hard to know exactly how players will develop, but Guerrero, like Jimenez, seems more predictable. The framework is already done for the Jays. Just like Trout worked off of the extension of Nolan Arenado and the free-agent deals of Machado and Harper to find his value, so too should the Jays and Guerrero work off of Jimenez. Bump the deal up a bit because Guerrero is the better player and get the deal done. If possible, the Jays should try to secure as many options on free agent seasons as they can.

Just show him the money!

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
How does one concuss themselves off their own bats like what?

I like to think it was like that episode of Star Trek where Kirk opened up the bin full of tribbles.

giphy.gif

But, y'know, with baseball bats.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Fantasy Draft tonight.

I got Miggy in the 16th round in one draft. A lot of people forget about Miggy. Haniger and Chapman went late too and they might be dark horse MVP candidates. Got Lindor in the 3rd round when people thought he would be out but apparently he is back in the first or second week. Corey Seaver went extremely late too like 10th round for me.

As for deep sleepers Drury is healthy and had a good spring. Grichuk is a guy to keep an eye on. I expect so Indians rotation injuries and I think Shane Bieber will rise to the occasion. Roark looks like a decent bet too.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
The odds are severely stacked against him ever making it to the MLB given how mediocre he was in his AA run last season and how much his development has been hobbled by injuries and time lost (and the point that he's basically a non-factor as a catching prospect now). Even with the Jays' system-wide MiLB pay bump, making a living as a minor league player without a realistic chance of doing something in MLB is incredibly difficult and at 26 years old he may have simply decided that he's better off figuring out where to go from here than hanging on in a tunnel with no light at the end of it.

It's sad and it sucks, but good on him for at least having the wherewithal to realize he should probably take stock of his future.
I had such high hopes for Pentecost and season one the injuries started. Ended up being a waste of a great draft slot.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Anyone been to any Bisons games? How's the stadium? I only been to one Bills game and that scarred me for life. Is the area okay? Is there place to eat/ get drunk around? Will we get robbed/ shot/ mugged?

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Giants looking at Pillar again as they want a CFer.

Will Smith for Pillar straight up and it’s a done deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad