Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
10-5??? What happened lol

Bud Norris

EDIT: It's not entirely Norris' fault.

Justin Shafer gave up a 2-run HR to Miguel Cabrera in the 4th, then Norris came in in the 5th and went Fly-out, strikeout, double, double, HR against a bunch of guys who aren't Miguel Cabrera.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
One more post before I stop chaining off myself:

I don't think we'll have a separate GDT for the Montreal games. They're still exhibition/spring games and since we're still in the throes of hockey season, the interest is probably going to be significantly lower.

GDTs won't start until Thursday for the opener vs Detroit.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Rangers wanted him back but they couldn’t work out a deal.

So much for losing him for nothing. Sometimes fans just got to calm down and let it play out.

Sounds like Pompey’s injury is serious. Plus I don’t like that Sogard is competing with Urena. Hoping Urena gets this job.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

So much for losing him for nothing. Sometimes fans just got to calm down and let it play out.

Sounds like Pompey’s injury is serious. Plus I don’t like that Sogard is competing with Urena. Hoping Urena gets this job.

Pompey's concussion history basically means that any concussion/head-jarring impact he suffers has a much higher probability of being "serious". We're kind of getting to "maybe, for his health, he shouldn't be playing anymore" territory.

As for Urena vs Sogard, honestly, Urena's bat doesn't seem like it's ever coming around. He and Sogard might be a toss-up at this point.

Also woo! Biggio!

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
We might see more creativity with Montoyo. He already used the 4-man OF against Harper (until he was drilled in the ankle). But like others have said, Gibbons was underrated in his use of analytics to inform his decisions and outside of some interesting tactics like the aforementioned, it likely won't be a night and day difference. The Jays may run more as well. But that could also be informed by personnel rather than purely the manager.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

We even made 50k off of him ;)

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Pompey's concussion history basically means that any concussion/head-jarring impact he suffers has a much higher probability of being "serious". We're kind of getting to "maybe, for his health, he shouldn't be playing anymore" territory.

As for Urena vs Sogard, honestly, Urena's bat doesn't seem like it's ever coming around. He and Sogard might be a toss-up at this point.

Also woo! Biggio!

To be fair, besides one season, it does not look like Sogard is exactly an offensive dynamo himself... And at least Urena has youth and upside on his side. He's only 23, and this is a rebuilding team. I'd take the chance on Urena before giving the job to Sogard.

Also, Sogard is not on the 40-man right now, while Urena is. I think there are a few guys I'd rather have on the 40-man over Sogard right now.

Reactions: phillipmike

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Not that I’m complaining but I suspect that this might be a waste of money. Oh well, good to have some experience.

horner

May 22, 2007
Yes and don't judge the team after a few games of the regular season, wait until late May.
As long as they create runs, steal bases and bunt.
I don't thing they did enough of those things under Gibson.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Time flies;

Tomorrow: Exhibition game in Montreal
Tuesday: Exhibition game in Montreal
Wednesday: Off day

Thursday: Opening Day

Reactions: ktownhockey

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
To be fair, besides one season, it does not look like Sogard is exactly an offensive dynamo himself... And at least Urena has youth and upside on his side. He's only 23, and this is a rebuilding team. I'd take the chance on Urena before giving the job to Sogard.

Also, Sogard is not on the 40-man right now, while Urena is. I think there are a few guys I'd rather have on the 40-man over Sogard right now.

I'm not saying Sogard is better with the bat. But he's certainly no worse than Urena (hence why I called them a toss-up), and the numbers suggest that he might be a more reliable defender at the MLB level, at least at 2nd where he'd probably be seeing the bulk of his innings (also Urena has shown a propensity for lapses or bonehead plays on occasion).

The job probably is Urena's to lose, and he's had the better spring, but it's not big a gap between them. To the point that if Montoyo decides he'd prefer to have a veteran on the bench I wouldn't be super broken up about it.

Not that I’m complaining but I suspect that this might be a waste of money. Oh well, good to have some experience.

Hudson hasn't been totally awful the last couple seasons. He's actually somewhat comparable to how some of the other middle relief guys like Axford have been the last few years. Seems like he's an alright option to plug into a 5th-7th inning type role. The interesting thing is that he has career reverse splits (he's more effective vs LHBs than RHBs) so maybe he becomes Mayza insurance as a 2nd lefty in the pen and as a potential setup guy (I believe he's held the role before in Arizona) until Tepera is back.

As long as they create runs, steal bases and bunt.
I don't thing they did enough of those things under Gibson.

They're not going to do more of those things. (a) The roster isn't built to steal bases, (b) bunting remains stupid and counterproductive 90% of the time, and (c) "creating runs" is a vague thing that usually means stuff like bunting and stealing, and... well... see (a) and (b)

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

Also woo! Biggio!
Pompey unfortunately I think is done. Like you’ve suggested it’s getting that feel. You have to feel bad for the guy. Always on the cusp but the injuries just keep coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad