So.. Edmonton has to be the favorites coming out of the west, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Now that Vegas has acquired Lehner, they have the one thing that's been holding them back this season, which is consistent saves. That easily makes them the best team in the Pacific playoff picture. They control shots & chance rates so much better than the other teams in this division.

Otherwise, the Central is just much stronger than the Pacific in general, so even if Edmonton is sitting behind Vegas in the Pacific, I don't see how they are considered Western favorites over the likes of the Stars, Blues, & Avalanche?

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
There may be a favourite in the Pacific (in fact, whoever takes first seed is probably the favourite by virtue of outplaying the other teams down the stretch), but there is no true lopsided match-ups. Every team has shown strength at times, and every team has shown flaws. There will be 4 teams in the Pacific bracket with between 20-30% chance of making the conference finals.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Well if everything clicks they could be a threat, but I certainly wouldn't call them a favorite at this point. Too early to say until some results are in.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
If you want to say favorite in Pacific, I guess you can make the case although I sure would take Vegas. Colorado or St Louis is western finals is no brainer over Oilers. This is not EAsports where you can set the game to play only one line.

Reactions: calderkids

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
You..you can't be serious here. Right?

The discrepancy in GAA is caused entirely by things that happen when none of these players are on the ice. When they are all on the ice, Vegas allows goals at a far lesser rate than Edmonton.
it's literally how your arguments go
hurr durr draisaitl bad because he on ice for GA without factoring in literally anything else to how the GA actually happened and then provide cherry picked videos in some instances where he was a result of a GA

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
blocks/hits/takeaways/giveaways 2019-2020
McJesus 18/34/48/69
Stoner 48/55/77/38

Other years are similar.

Point is, you guys are arguing apples and oranges. The McDrai line scores more, and will always score more. Stone is a different animal. He defends, disrupts, steals. You don't have to score as much if you are better at stopping the other guy from scoring. I believe their total contribution to team success is fairly equivalent.

Lmao /thread you shouldn't talk about hockey anymore man. You just said Stone is equivalent to the impact on a hockey game as McDavid and Draisatl. That is one ludicrous take and I don't care if you have every advanced stat available to man to support it.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
You are comparing things that happen when these players are not even on the ice...
If McDavid and Draisaitl were so porous defensively, wouldn't that lead to a much higher GA than a team led by defensive stalwart Mark Stone? Especially considering MAF>>Smith/Koskinen. Or could you be overstating the importance of a forwards defensive play? Yes, Stone is better in his own zone than McDavid or Draisaitl, and they'll have some gaffes that lead to goals against, but it doesn't seem to be having much of an effect on the games.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Lmao /thread you shouldn't talk about hockey anymore man. You just said Stone is equivalent to the impact on a hockey game as McDavid and Draisatl. That is one ludicrous take and I don't care if you have every advanced stat available to man to support it.

Are you guys seriously stupid, or are you just reading the parts you want? I am saying that Stone's contribution to Vegas is equivalent to McDrai to Oilers, but different. If you think hockey is only racing down and putting the puck on the net, I have nothing for you.

Waterbuf

Sep 21, 2018
Vancouver
St. Louis
Colorado
Dallas
Vegas
Vancouver
Calgary
Winnipeg

That's a list of teams that stack up vs. Edmonton to me.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
really? because its the hardest thing to do in hockey lol

outscoring is of course important but you only brought up 5-on-5 outscoring

by your logic, a guy who scores 1 ES GF and has 0 ES GA is "better" then a guy who scores 2 PP goals and is on the ice for 1 ES GA

both are "outscoring" but you failed to show the stats

So you agree that Stone is the better player at 5-on-5?

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Of all 8 teams currently in the Western Conference playoffs (Vegas, Edmonton, Vancouver, Calgary, Arizona, St. Louis, Colorado, Dallas), the Oilers are:

- 7th in goal differential (+6)
- 6th in xGF% at 5v5 (48.9%)
- 6th in scoring chances% at 5v5 (48.2%)
- 8th in 5v5 Sv% (90.9%)

So, they are near the bottom in controlling actual goals, expected goals, scoring chances, and they have the worst goaltending at even strength of all the teams in the playoffs currently. That sounds more like a team about to get bounced in the first round than a team contending for a Cup final appearance. Mind you, some of the competition is pretty weak, so coming up against the Coyotes, Flames, Canucks, or Jets could very well yield a first round victory, but outside of some good fortune, I can't see them taking out the Knights, Blues, Stars, or Avalanche.

I don't think adding a replacement level defender far past his prime (Mike Green), and a speedster with no concept of defense (Andreas Athanasiou) really moves the needle that far for them either. It helps certainly, but doesn't suddenly make them a complete, deep team.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Are you guys seriously stupid, or are you just reading the parts you want? I am saying that Stone's contribution to Vegas is equivalent to McDrai to Oilers, but different. If you think hockey is only racing down and putting the puck on the net, I have nothing for you.

Stone doesn't account for -30 or -40 goals against so no his contribution isn't the same, it's not even close.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I doubt that the Blues or the Avs are losing sleep because of the Oilers. I mean Avs are the top offensive team in the West and top 2 defensive team despite missing Rantanen, Kadri, Makar, Grubauer, Landeskog, Calvert and Johnson at long stretches during the season. They also have a pretty soft schedule going in to the playoffs and could have a key guy like Rantanen going fresh into the playoffs.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If McDavid and Draisaitl were so porous defensively, wouldn't that lead to a much higher GA than a team led by defensive stalwart Mark Stone? Especially considering MAF>>Smith/Koskinen. Or could you be overstating the importance of a forwards defensive play? Yes, Stone is better in his own zone than McDavid or Draisaitl, and they'll have some gaffes that lead to goals against, but it doesn't seem to be having much of an effect on the games.

They allow goals against at a far higher rate when they are on the ice...the gap is closed by stuff when neither player is on the ice.

Do you seriously look at stuff that happens when a player is on the bench, or injured, in order to evaluate their defensive performance? You can’t be serious about this, right?

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
lol no in this order I put Blues Dallas Colorado vegas Vancouver over them as favorites out of rest.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
LOL no. I wouldnt be surprised if they miss still. AA doesnt move the meter that much.

Defense wins in the playoffs and they are a one line, two player team, that can easily be contained. Even if McDrais is good for 1-2 goals per game, the rest of the roster is that bad, teams can prey on.

Id Still take Vancouver or Vegas over them in their division let alone them not touching any of the Central.

Weird you use your reason as defense wins championships and then choose Vancouver, a worse defensive team than Edmonton over them.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
The thing with St. Louis is that they’ve missed their one pure game breaking talent this year. When he comes back it will be much more significant than any TDL moves made yesterday.
That said, it’s extremely hard to repeat. They will need some breaks to come out of the West even but I still see them as the most well rounded team with good depth at every position. The playoffs are a grind and usually the more bubble teams like most of the Pacific tend to get exposed as the playoffs grind on and injuries mount.

It's not about whether they have their game breaker or not. Vegas dominates play while St Louis doesn't, particular in the offensive zone. This doesn't mean it's impossible for the Blues to win, but Vegas is the clear favorite IMO

VGK

STL

It's closer defensively, but Vegas is still better.
VGK

STL

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
um wtf no they are not. STL definitely better, not "I guess" lol. Vegas absolutely better. Dallas absolutely better. Colorado arguably better as well. With Markstrom I think VAN is also possibly better. So 5th or 6th. Then again you're a leafs fan from the east, you probably don't even stay up past central division times let alone pacific

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
No. They are not. They feast on the PP. In fact, Drai and McDavid, are in the same territory as Crosby was when he got shit on by Oiler fans saying that he peak wasn't that good because he scored so many power play points.

So, with PP opportunities dropping way off in the playoffs, and the Oilers not being that great 5 on 5, how are they a lock for the West?

They added another one dimensional offensive forward that wouldn't know the defensive zone if it bit him in the ass.

They won't be able to outscore their defensive misfortunes in the playoffs.

Also, what's this about their defense being built for the playoffs? That's sarcasm, right?

All that said, this is clearly a troll thread by Kami, not even that clever actually.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Who is injured on Colorado (key players)? When do they come back? Are some gone for rest of season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany