So.. Edmonton has to be the favorites coming out of the west, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Blues aside who get that title due to being the recent champs I guess, but Edmonton looks legit now, and I think there are a few factors.

- Weak pacific division means in theory, they should have one of the easiest 1st and maybe 2nd rounds out of the entire league aside from whoever facing the 3rd spot in the Atlantic.

- Draisatl has come alive and is legit. Yammo has fit like a glove with him, and they have two legit superstars better than any two currently playing (yes better than Sido and Geno in their current form).

- McDavid is back and healthy and finally has wingers. This is the first time the Oilers have a legit top 6 in a decade.

- 1st PP in the league and 2nd best PK. In general, being top 5 in both is an indicator of playoff success.

- Then you look at what Draisatl produces the last time they made the playoffs, and realize McDavid is in his prime now.

I'm not sure there is a team out west that can stop the Oilers. Have to imagine that they should be a lock for at least the WCF, and if they do not make the finals, it will be in a hard fought series deep in the playoffs.

I personally, don't think there is a better team out west and they are likely one of the favorites if they played in the east. Maybe they are only stopped by a more experienced team from the east if they make the finals like Tampa or the Pens.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Blues aside who get that title due to being the recent champs I guess, but Edmonton looks legit now, and I think there are a few factors.

- Weak pacific division means in theory, they should have one of the easiest 1st and maybe 2nd rounds out of the entire league aside from whoever facing the 3rd spot in the Atlantic.

- Draisatl has come alive and is legit. Yammo has fit like a glove with him, and they have two legit superstars better than any two currently playing (yes better than Sido and Geno in their current form).

- McDavid is back and healthy and finally has wingers. This is the first time the Oilers have a legit top 6 in a decade.

- 1st PP in the league and 2nd best PK. In general, being top 5 in both is an indicator of playoff success.

- Then you look at what Draisatl produces the last time they made the playoffs, and realize McDavid is in his prime now.

I'm not sure there is a team out west that can stop the Oilers. Have to imagine that they should be a lock for at least the WCF, and if they do not make the finals, it will be in a hard fought series deep in the playoffs.

I personally, don't think there is a better team out west and they are likely one of the favorites if they played in the east. Maybe they are only stopped by a more experienced team from the east if they make the finals like Tampa or the Pens.

You need to watch Vegas play

dcv2002

Jun 22, 2006
They could probably play something like:

Rd 1: NSH
Rd 2: Winner VGK /VAN
Rd 3: Winner COL/MIN/DAL/STL (Throw in WPG/CGY/ARZ) as well.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

There is no such thing as a lock in the NHL playoffs. As far as your last statement I easily take Boston, Tampa, Pitt and Washington over Edmonton in a 7 game series. The east is way stronger than the west

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Still behind the 3 Central teams. Also I'd like to see AA play first, he plays like a poor man's Taylor Hall that just likes to skate the puck down the wing, stylistically I'm not sure he's a fit on McDavid's wing.

Reactions: DaveG

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Can't see them getting past St.Louis or a healthy Colorado. Dallas as well when healthy are a hard team to play against and have a solid defense.

Vegas I think could also give them fits.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad