So.. Edmonton has to be the favorites coming out of the west, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Playoff experience is not an indicator. LA kings won the cup from 8th seed. Blues came back from last to win the cup.

What was the common denominator with those teams that lacked experience tho?

Oilers are probably the most mediocre in that area vs the western contenders.

Dynamic

Dec 21, 2004
Edmonton
Not even going to read this thread, who in the hell in even thinking this!? And yes I’m an Oilers fan.

I like most am just happy making the playoffs. We are in a weaker division and are doing slightly better then expected. Yes I think overall the additions should help, especially since we are having major injury issues lately. Get to the dance and hope for the best.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
The nice thing about the Pacific (and the team that gets the top WC spot - go Jets!!) is that yes, the path to the Conference Finals should be easy for that one team that puts it all together with the potential of not enduring exhausting, long series.

Can that team be the Oilers? Possibly, though I think Vegas will be that team. Not expecting much from Calgary or Vancouver. Maybe Nashville or Winnipeg if they get WC1.

At any rate, it's shaping up to be an exciting race.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
no, I don't
Draisaitl is 2nd in the league in ESP
Stone is 17th

Do you think that defense matters?

Do you think that we can use the evidence that we have available today to gain a reasonable point estimate of how good a player is defensively?

Do you think it’s possible that the defensive gap between two forwards could be large enough to close the gap between their offensive play if one is 2nd in ES scoring and the other is 17th?

Do you think that the external factors that you guys constantly reference might actually benefit Draisaitl more in terms of scoring points than they benefit Stone?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Do you think that defense matters?
sure, but "defense" is more of a product of many variables as I've stated many times

Do you think that we can use the evidence that we have available today to gain a reasonable point estimate of how good a player is defensively?
again, there's no "stats" available to measure how good a player is defensively
when a player scores a point, he contributing to a GF
when a player is on the ice for a GA, who's at fault? too broad a statement to say "player X is on for less GA, thus he's a better defender"

Do you think it’s possible that the defensive gap between two forwards could be large enough to close the gap between their offensive play if one is 2nd in ES scoring and the other is 17th?
no cause as I stated, defensive cannot be properly measured

Do you think that the external factors that you guys constantly reference might actually benefit Draisaitl more in terms of scoring points than they benefit Stone?
and if Stone such a player, why isn't he scoring more points than Leon?

according to your logic, Ryan Graves is better than Mark Stone...dude is the best ES outscorer in the league!

Reactions: Crabapple

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
absolute low IQ arguments.

there is not one guy in the NHL, past present or future, who would think Stone is better than McDavid

imagine being educated in statistics and still coming to the wrong conclusions
This is why advanced stats get mocked. Guys like him that know damn well Stone isn't the player McDavid or Dria is will stubbornly argue otherwise based on some chart or graph.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
How is "he was on the ice when this happened" a fail-safe indicator of how "good" a player is?

Dashh

Oct 26, 2013
if AA and mcdavid have chemistry it's over for the rest of y'all. Also once we get all our injured guys back, we'll be a force to be reckoned with. I need to see an Oilers Flames playoff series

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
With how everyone is getting hurt lately I just want to make the playoffs first.. Then let’s talk about how far this team can go.

Reactions: Satire

generalshepherd141

Jun 12, 2017
America
People are definitely sleeping on the Oil. The only team in the Pacific Edmonton would likely lose to in a series is Vegas, and I trust Dave Tippett much more than Peter DeBoer. St. Louis / Colorado would be tough to beat though.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
The Ottawa Senators with Mark Stone on the ice over the past 3 seasons were a significantly better team than the Edmonton Oilers with Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl on the ice. That's all you really need to know.

Hi, yeah, I’m just wondering how you’ve been here for 8 years, and still manage to know nothing about hockey.

I’ll hang up now and listen to your answer.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I don't think the Oilers are decisively better (if better at all) than the big dogs in the Central.

They added a good amount of skill and craftiness to their lineup, but i don't think they move the needle a whole lot when it comes to playoff hockey. AA's issues without the puck are still there, Ennis is what he is and Mike Green will probably play on the 3rd pair.

In fact, i like Vegas more than Edmonton right now. Really like the process they've been going through since DeBoer got there, the lineup decisions as well as Martinez/Lehner joining the team. Starting to feel like the Vegas team from 17/18 with arguably better players.

Edmonton feels like a team that poses a good challenge to someone with their superstars and everything, but ultimately someone embraces that challenge, overcomes a tough series and are better off for it in the end during their run.

Last edited:

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
In the Pacific I still think Vegas is better. Edmonton is pretty on par with Calgary, even. So to say they're the favs to come out ahead of the Blues, Stars and Avalanche as well? Not so sure

Reactions: Tony O
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad