So does Toronto now have the best centers in the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
top 5

definitely not better than the caps edmonton or pitt. theyre likely better than philly's depth but giroux's the most proven of the bunch. florida's centers are strong too.

don't overrate jt91. barzal outscored jt and everyone of the leafs centers and it didn't do squat for them. and a lot of the "center depth" top-end you're comparing the leafs to have 1) already won cup(s) 2) are still making less money than jt91.

Edmonton?

For that to be true, you'd have to be here claiming that McDavid is better than all three of them combined, because Nugent-Hopkins isn't better than any of them.

Scotty Pucks

Bring back “Doop” as Flyers Goal Song
Apr 1, 2012
Pennsylvania
In all seriousness, if Kuzy and Eller carry over their play in these past playoffs and Backstrom is his typical 70-80 pt self... I feel some of you are underrating the Caps.

That trio combined for 73 pts this past postseason. That’s disgusting. Especially considering they missed some games/Backstrom was hurt.

SirGoose

honk honk
Jan 11, 2009
golf course
Edmonton?

For that to be true, you'd have to be here claiming that McDavid is better than all three of them combined, because Nugent-Hopkins isn't better than any of them.

no, for that to be true, leon draisatl would have to outscore all of the leafs centers.

(he has)

and comparing McDavid at his age and contract to JT's new contract at his age? I hope that's not an argument anyone is foolish enough to attempt

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
All I’m saying is that Toronto has arguably the best centre depth in the league. It wouldn’t be absurd to say that Matthews-JT-Kadri could put up more offence than Crosby-Geno-Brassard this coming season.

Matthews-Tavares-Kadri is just drool worthy.

Let's take a look at what would happen if they all continued with their career-average production to date:

TOR - Matthews (75.17 points) + Tavares (76.17 points) + Kadri (52.59 points) = 203.93 points
PIT - Crosby (105.92 points) + Malkin (97.27 points) + Brassard (49.02 points) = 252.21 points

How about over the past 3 season?

TOR - Matthews (75.17 points) + Tavares (76.12 points) + Kadri (55.47 points) = 206.76 points
PIT - Crosby (91.00 points) + Malkin (94.90 points) + Brassard (50.33 points) = 236.23 points

And the past 2 seasons?

TOR - Matthews (75.17 points) + Tavares (77.36 points) + Kadri (58.72 points) = 211.25 points
PIT - Crosby (92.97 points) + Malkin (99.57 points) + Brassard (45.56 points) = 238.10 points

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
What's so funny about this? Backstrom is better than Matthews. Kuznetsov is better than Tavares. Kadri is better than Ellers
You are assuming Matthews does not get better though. Would anyone take Backstrom over Matthews at this point?

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Toronto will likely have the best offense overall, but looking at centers strictly, I'd still give Pittsburgh the edge.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's clearly the Penguins for the best center group, especially now that they added Cullen. The Penguins centers are now Crosby, Malkin, Brassard, Sheahan and Cullen, no team can match that.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
Do the Leafs have 2 awesome and 1 really good centremen now? Sure. They even have 2 very good wingers....
Last time I checked there were 4 lines that have to play. That's 12 guys. Having 5 great players, 1 good player who is just getting older, and 6 marginal NHLers isn't going to cut it in the NHL playoffs.
Don't forget that the Leafs have lost 3 pretty good forwards that contributed a ton to last season's success.
Kadri may have scored 30+ goals the last two seasons, but that was playing 2nd line minutes and lots of power play time. He'll be effective, but he is very unlikely to hit 30 goals playing a 3rd line centre role. He may now be one of the best 3rd line centres in the league, but 30+ goals just isn't realistic for that position, especially when you consider much of his power play time will be taken away as a result of Tavares being available.

The best group of 12 forwards is what is important in the NHL today and that the Leafs do not have.

Reactions: BigBucketHolly

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Do the Leafs have 2 awesome and 1 really good centremen now? Sure. They even have 2 very good wingers....
Last time I checked there were 4 lines that have to play. That's 12 guys. Having 5 great players, 1 good player who is just getting older, and 6 marginal NHLers isn't going to cut it in the NHL playoffs.
Don't forget that the Leafs have lost 3 pretty good forwards that contributed a ton to last season's success.
Kadri may have scored 30+ goals the last two seasons, but that was playing 2nd line minutes and lots of power play time. He'll be effective, but he is very unlikely to hit 30 goals playing a 3rd line centre role. He may now be one of the best 3rd line centres in the league, but 30+ goals just isn't realistic for that position, especially when you consider much of his power play time will be taken away as a result of Tavares being available.

The best group of 12 forwards is what is important in the NHL today and that the Leafs do not have.

Just for the fun of it... The players Leafs are adding are better than the ones they are losing. You can bank on it. Johnsson and Grundstrom are a LOT better than people give them credit for. Leafs offense is about to become insane and it was already ridiculous

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
I would give the edge to Toronto for the better centers. But i would agree that our forward, d core and goalie are all better than Toronto.
What edge? Stamkos is the man and Kucherov is a monster. I do not see edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad